Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #21
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Gosh folks I thought everyone knew about the political and religious climate in Utah. History teaches us that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or the Mormons moved to the Utah Territory back in the 1800's. They have since that time been the dominant religious power; By a rather large majority. The political climate is pretty much toward the conservative side of the spectrum which should be easily deduced from the religious side of things.

I thought that was a given! Sorry if the reference was that oblique.

Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Joe n Doe,

Don't know about the tax structure but Southern Baptist? Oh, wait. I do remember seeing ONE Southern Baptist church.

Utah is a Mormon state. Pure and simple. If you're going to live there get used to it. It is a way of life. Utah is a beautiful state and the people are some of the nicest you'll ever meet. There are many places I could call home!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I was Baptized a Mormon, and lived under my parents pressures to stay in the church while I lived at home, when I went off to the Navy and later lived on my own, I made some changes. I think the Mormon people have some really great lifestyles and are a super friendly bunch, I know how to say no thanks, and would be fine there.
As with any devout religious group, they want to let you know about it, and would love to have you join them. I could live there, and respect their life and views, and go quite nicely on, with my own.
Ahhh, the taxes, didn't think about that, I will look into that. I'm thinking this retirement is getting pretty tricky...
I will also research Mohab, (darn, I'm on another page) and the other places mentioned. Thank you for that.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #24
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Ozz says, I have also been reading that real estate is pricey there, would you recommend another area?
I don't keep up with the real estate prices, a place like we have would be around $250,000 and the taxes are around $1800. If I recommended another area I would have to go there by myself.

How did you end up where you are? in Saint George. We were going home from snowbirding in the SW and stopped in ST George for a couple days and wife says lets move down here, being fairly intelligent I said OK. We then looked around at the different housing developments and wife says we like this lot with a view and I said OK. Went home to Washington, sold our house, loaded up the Montana, bought the lot, had the house designed, and 9 months later we moved in. I had a little input, the 24' by 26' garage with a 18' door and the RV pad with full hookups..

What do you think about Missouri, I think I could live nicely in your house....... After visiting 49 of the 57 states (according to Obama) I could not live East of the Rockies.

We have lived here 3 years and nobody has asked me to join their church or even attend, guess they don't want an old guy that smokes to much, drinks to much, gambles to much, and probably swears to much. I don't much care about the religion or the politics of my neighbors, only that they keep their place looking good. The State of Utah is Republican except for Salt Lake City which is predominately Democrat.
I think I better shutup, any questions just ask.
Attached some pictures so you can get the lay of the land.
Here's where I MOC.

Patio

Looking out the back door.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, Thanks for the PM. I agree, my comment about the religious and political aspect of Cedar City was not an off handed remark about the situation there. It had to do with checking out what is available in Cedar City, as far as denominations of churches AND whether or not your political views would fit in with the majority. For example, as a diehard Republican, I would not live in San Francisco, (city of my birth and life the first 18 years of my life), nor would I care to locate to a predominately Democrat city or state, for that matter. Having said this, I found the people of Utah very friendly and family oriented, two very good things. I did not see many Churches of my denomination but I didn't look specifically for them either. I believe a person should be fully informed about where they might relocate, That was what I was referring to.

Cathy and I will probably never go back to Alaska. While we are touring the US we are also looking for a final resting place as we doubt we will do this forever. We were in Bend, Oregon for some time and liked it there, but there are a lot more places we haven't seen yet. As our family is all located in the West, it will probably be somewhere out there.

Good luck in your search. Remember, there is always the option of parking the Montana on a lot somewhere for, who knows how long, and really checking a place out......I think I have said enough on this thread so I will be moving on. I do not need the last word!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pete, you are a lucky man. I do love your house, thanks for the pictures of the inside and view. This helps me stay motivated.
I had to go on a service call yesterday, 100 degrees, the customers condensing unit was in the sun, I had to change out the condenser fan, I can't remember when I have been so miserable. I can do the heat, but with the extremely high humidity, it is almost unbearable, It gets tougher as I get older.
I think they want me to sell them a new unit, they are to call me this morning, I almost hope they don't. It's cool in my MOC office......
Phil, I hope we meet someday, your idea of parking the Monte and checking an area out has merit.
Take care.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #27
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Hi Dennis,

Sorry to have not made myself clear.

My parents were born and raised in Utah and after Dad retired from the Army we relocated to Utah. I lived there thru high school and for a year after getting out of the Army. My Mom and 2 sisters still live there and I go back to visit at least once a year.

Like Ozz, I too have been a non-practicing Mormon for close to 40 years.

I realize the Mormon Church is the dominate religion in Utah. However, the population of members of the Church in relationship to non-members has been decreasing for years, especially in the larger population areas. The influence of the Church in smaller communities (Cedar City) and rural areas remains more noticeable than in the metropolitan areas.

The dominate religion in the small community I currently live is Southern Baptist. (Heck, I don't even know if there is a Southern Baptist Church in Utah.) The politics in this county are local. In other words, if you weren't born here you will always be an outsider.

Essentially, the only difference between where I live now and Utah are the dominate religions. It is my guess, the same can be said about many to most small communities in the USA. Thus my point, the effect of religion and politics on a newcomer relocating to a small or rural community in a different part of the country will be the same and is not a phenomena unique to Utah.

Here is a link regarding taxes in Utah: http://www.utahtaxpayers.org/ Many Mormon families consist of 4 or more children. In comparison to those filers with lots of children, this factor produces a disproportionate amount of state income tax paid by single, married only, and retired tax payers.

Having said all that, if you are an out doors person I think Utah is a great place to live. Hunting, fishing, boating, camping, skiing, hiking environments are minutes away. Given its longitude and latitude, in the summer sun down can be as late as 9 or 10 p.m. I can remember getting off work at 5 PM, water skiing before 6, and getting home before 11.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #28
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Ozz, when you find the perfect place, I would be very interested, Iam ready to get out of IL, this last flood made me very nervous. I'll come be your neighbor.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Joe, a great post. Thanks for taking the time to add to our Utah discussion, heck, we can all learn from each other about hundreds of things, that is what makes our group so great.
Bill, Sue and I would love to be neighbors with you and Linda (and Shadow) we are planning on heading out that way this Fall, and see what we can see. I understand about the flooding, I know you guys live at a waterside, it can get scary when we get back to back 500 year floods within a decade, not good...I was just outside washing my truck and Sue's car, it is so humid here, I gripe about that constantly, but it is my motivation to go to a dry climate.
Ozz