Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Loss of tire pressure

I have had my Mountaineer since last October and have had to replace one valve stem last year. It would hold 40-50 lbs but any effort to pump it up to his 85lb rating would cause the rubber stem to leak where the stem came though the wheel. The other three were not leaking and held 85lbs. Had this stem replaced before the trip.

While checking the air and bringing them to 85lb's another stem started leaking, it again was down to 40-50 lbs. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Called the dealer today to check their experience with this problem but was unable to talk to the service manager today, will try again tomorrow.

I stopped by the tire shop that changed the first stem and asked them had they seen a problem like this besides the one they changed before. Small town and guys at the shop are friends. He said stems usually leaked like this with age when the rubber got hard, not in the first year of service. This one is on the opposite side of the camper then the one that was changed.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Could be that Keystone or their supplier got a bad batch of stems. Also you might have the rims checked to see if they are causing the stems to fail. Some tire and wheel folks will come around with better answers.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have had that problem also. The only way I've been able to get away from it is with metal stems, the kind with rubber washers on both the inside and outside of the valve stem hole. Les Schwab cured one of my wheels that no one else seemed to be able to fix.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Sounds like I am not the only one having a problem like this. In someways that makes me feel better.

My son-in-law has a Cardinal, which is heaver then my Mountaineer and has aluminum wheels. His tires take 110lbs of air, vice my 85lbs, and the stems are metal with a nut on the outside. It’s my understanding that metal stems are used for the higher pressure tires. He was loading up yesterday and some of his tires were down to 50-60lbs but no problem with the stem leaking as pumping them up to 110lbs.

I don’t have a problem with topping the tires off before a trip but it’s not fun to have to stop and get a stem put in every 2-3 months. I would rather fix the problem. I have to top my truck off, 75lbs every two to three weeks anyway.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Get the stems your son-in-law has.We have had all four of the OEM stems replaced as 3 of them leaked or would not hold air and we lost confidence in the remaining one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:20 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Metal stems with rubber washers have been my choice for years- Have air pressure loss but not because of leaking stems- Checking tire pressure is a monthly chore when parked for some time, but a weekly duty when on the road- My 2 cents worth- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I talked on the phone to a tech at the dealership I bought my Mountaineer from about my tire stem problem. He said the problem I am having with the stem leaking is a common problem. He recommended the rubber & brass type, high pressure stems. I went and checked and that is he type I have so I guess that is not the answer to my problem either. He didn't recommend going to the metal type that has the nut on the outside, but the reason was not clear to me since I have not looked at one that was not installed. I will be near the dealership in the next week or so & plan to stop in and talk face to face & try to get an answer that I am comfortable with.