Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
MarkV
Established Member

M.O.C. #16009
Valterra dump valve replacement?

I am getting ready to replace my dump valves with valterra valves and was wondering if anyone knows if the mounting flanges also need to be changed out? I am hoping that the valves are direct replacements for the OEM valves. It would make the install much easier.

MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The flanges are industry standard, so any valve will work with them.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You will get the valve 2 Rubber Gaskets and 4 Bolts and nuts. The only thing tricky is installing the gaskets and keeping them in place. I use a dab of silicon applied the day prior to keep them in place do not over tighten the through bolts
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
MarkV
Established Member

M.O.C. #16009
Thanks for the answers.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
If the fit is to tight, you may have to cut the black ABS pipe in order to separate the flanges in order to remove and replace the valves. I had to cut 3/8" off the ABS pipe and use a rubber no-hub coupling to do the replacement. Also, I cut access panels above the valves in the storage area. Makes a much easier job standing up do this as opposed to removing under liner and laying on your back and having fluids dripping on you, YUCK, LOL. Hope this helps, I have pictures of accesses if needed.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
MarkV
Established Member

M.O.C. #16009
Yes it helps. The valves I am replacing are under the floor area of the unit. So my only option is to work thru the under liner. I am hoping that I can remove and reinstall without cutting the pipes. Not looking forward to mess. Thanks again for the advise.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have done it twice and it is no big deal and both times I peeled back the Underbelly for good access and just make sure you drain the tanks Good by pushing up in the middle of the tank with the valve open to get most of the liquid out and it will not be much of a mess when you take the old valves out very little liquid will come out You are going to like the results
Old 03-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have done this many times no need to cut pipe!
The tricky thing is to keep the two rubber seals in place when you slide the valve in between the two flanges if they do seat properly you are going to have a leaker! I put a dab of Silicone on each to hold in place the night before so it will cure. Do not over tighten the thru bolts!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote