Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Another bump in the road....in Canada.

We stayed at a beautiful Provincial Park in B.C. last night. No hookups so we ran the (Yamaha) generator for a couple of hours before bedtime. Worked great, by the way. About 3:00 a.m., we woke up to a cool 55' in the trailer. When we woke up in the morning, it was 45' inside and 30' outside. No heat. The furnace would not ignite. Glen started the generator and, voila!, heat. Now the furnace will run if we move the thermostat up so it turns on but it doesn't bring the heat up to the expected temp. If we set it on 68', it turned off at 61' and would not restart itself. Do any of you mechanics have a diagnosis for this problem? We have limited internet connectivity so if we don't respond right away, please realize that we'll be online as soon as we can. Thanks for your help.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I'm no HVAC professional, but it sound to me like you got a bad thermostat. I'm sure someone will come along soon and help you.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 AM   #3
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Fordzilla has a good suggestion. I also would check the battery as the furnace runs on 12 volts. I had the same symptoms when a cell shorted in my battery.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Judy,
Make sure your propane is turned one and check the propane lines for and pinch or kincks.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Good suggestions. Do you have the LPG monitor? If so make sure it is working since you do not want something in the heaters propane system (if that is where the problem is) to leak into the trailer especially while you are sleeping. Very rare for the thermocoupler to allow propane to leak but it can happen.

It sounds more like thermostat or 12volt problem though.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:30 AM   #6
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
If you have low voltage the furnace will not light. So if you where using your lights a lot and you all ready had used the slides and landing jacks you could very well have discharged the batteries enough for the furnance not to light. Try running the Gen. long enough to charge up the batteries.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for all your ideas, everybody. I knew this group would come through for us. We have been connected to Electricity for the last couple of nights so we've been warm. We probably used the lights, etc., more than we thought, although we did run the generator for a couple of hours to charge things up. We'll have to check out the battery more extensively.

Another thing to add to your list of things to take to Alaska....a very LARGE dog. Greta is only 40 pounds and she helps but a BIG one would keep you even warmer.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote