Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Cabinet Reinforcement & Whole House WF

As some of you know, I had a check valve go bad that was attached to the water heater. I got it replaced and thought I would post some pictures of what else I did while in the cabinet.

I cut the incoming water supply and diverted it to underneath the kitchen sink so that I could install a whole house water filter.

I also needed to reinforce the bottom of the cabinet. We use it for our liquor cabinet - need I say more?

I actually did the cabinet reinforcement last winter, but never took pictures, so decided to do so with this HWH and water filter project.

Cheers!

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Great job, you need to protect that liquor. Oh, the water filter looks great too. Wish I could get hubby talked into the filter for either on the outside or under the counter.

Great pictures and labeling too.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hey, we see you got that valve changed out, how did you finally manage.

I am bummed, I cannot see 5 of the photos, silly internet!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
By using a 1" socket and a breaker bar...the check valve finally came out. It was full of gunk, which precipitated the idea for a whole house filter.

The filter is a carbon filter from Whirlpool:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...HWC&lpage=none

and the housing is:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...DWH&lpage=none

I used a bungy cord to hold it to the wallmounted 1x3.

DW says taste is as good as the bottled water she regularly drinks. And, it should keep gunk out of our plumbing fittings and valves.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
That's great Mike, I guess part of my memory still works, I remembered "breaker bar" bout right! HA HA HA

Do you have water filters on the outside too, like just after the campground hookup??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael,

Nice job, looking forward to seeing your mods in person someday.

Thanks for the ideas!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I'm going to disconnect the outside filter next time we move. Right now, I need the extra length so I can use just one hose and we are here for a couple of months. This way, I can see if there is a difference.

I am really hoping that apart from the taste, that the newly installed whole house filter will keep the gunk factor down. I used CLR to clean the kitchen faucet parts today. I took it apart and soaked the pieces in CLR to remove the gunk buildup. Looks great, now!

simonsrf - looking forward to it, although you would be better served, from a learning standpoint, to hook up with Ozz.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't underestimate yourself Michael. You are intelligent, as well as handy.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Michael,

Could you please orient me so I know where you took the picture from? That is a great picture, and I would like to know where in my rig to gain access if and when I need to do the repairs. Is that under the shower or under the kitchen cabinet??

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I never thought about putting a filter under the sink for the whole house. I did however mount two filters on a piece of plywood. I place it by the cg faucet and run a short hose to the first filter which is fairly inexpencive to filter out the gunk and then into a carbon filter to get most of the other bad stuff out. Water pressure in the trailer is not very good but we know it is clean. Another side benefit is that the holding tanks take longer to fill.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Fire5er,

The aspect of the picture is from the television to my left, looking forward to the bedroom, in the living room. I hope this helps. Think of it this way: sit on your couch, look at the vacuum, and then to the cabinet doors to the left of the vacuum. This is where all the modifications/improvements/repairs were made.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Clutch,

If you get the Oxygenics shower head from Campingworld, you won't ever worry about the pressure in your unit. Also, you can remove the water restrictors in the faucets for more flow.

The Whole House Filter we installed has a rated 2 gpm flow rate. With the outside filter hooked up, which is also reducing flow, along with the pressure regulator, which also restricts flow rate, we don't see any problems. Shower is great with Oxygenics shower head, and kitchen and bathroom faucets are also good.