Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozz and Sue in New Mexico

Santa Fe, New Mexico
It was a good trip from Manitou Springs Colorado, down to our location about 8 miles outside Santa Fe, new Mexico.
We were concerned we would not find Diesel when we needed it, but that was not a problem. The roads were good, traffic surprisingly light.
There were a few smiles and surprises generated along the way. One small town had a prison, off to the left of the highway, close to the road. The coiled barbed wire shining in the Sunlight, a few prisoners milling in the exercise yard.
There was an exit off the highway for the small community there, we saw an auto body shop off to the right named Prisom. Someone had a sense of humor!
The road winded up mountains, through scenic towns, the rugged landscape always catching our eyes. We were sailing along when we saw a sign a hundred feet or so before a bridge, it simply stated ‘Bump’. At 60 miles an hour, I started to slow, but the violent bump and bucking action really scared us, we feared everything had torn loose, but upon inspection later, even Sue’s plants were still on the shelf in the bathroom.
We were passed by a Montana, the only one we saw on the trip, he was easily going 20 miles an hour faster than we were, a one ton Ford Dually pulling it. 20 miles down the road, we pulled into a rest stop, made a sandwich and started to get into the truck, when a man approached and started asking questions about our Montana, it turned out to be the driver of the rig. They were parked between semi’s. He is work camping in Arizona and was traveling from Denver to the job.
We are at a KOA outside Santa Fe, in the rocks and short trees of the foothills. The weather is perfect, the sky is beautiful with the white puffy clouds in stark contrast of the light Blue sky.
There is no noise of the city, no traffic, no trains, or airplanes, just the wind noise blowing through the trees. It’s pretty close to what I would call perfect.
It’s starting to get busy at all the RV parks within 100 miles of Albuquerque, the Balloon fest coming, in around Two weeks, draws quite a crowd.
We went into town, drove through Old Santa Fe, very crowded and NO where to park. Sue spotted a Farmers Market, so we parked in the field and shopped the many native area vendors. We bought a bunch of bound Red Peppers, they are hanging from the rear cabinets handle now. We saw a man roasting Green Chili’s, they smelled wonderful, as he turned the crank of the round wire basket, they popped and smoked, it was a sensory delight.
Sue bought some round squash the Mexicans eat, the vendor said it would taste much similar to the Zucchini we bought, to grill with the sweet onions and Chicken tonight.
We asked a native where a good New Mexico lunch would be, he directed us to a small adobe place just down from the farmer’s market. It was called La Choza, (The Shack) It may have been the best Mexican lunch we both have had, we will go back.
I better start the grill, Sue has prepared the fixing’s.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Sounds like heaven Ozz. Glad you guys are enjoying the ride...
Dinner sounds yummy! Have you pimped out the grill yet? We would expect nothing less from you.
tara
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Welcome to our world Ozz, wish I had timed things a little better, we could have met in Santa Fe and had a blast. It's one of my favorite cities in this state. There are so many things to see, do, and experience. It's not really a "place", but a state of mind, or maybe a way of life. I lived there when I was young, as a matter of fact, my younger sister was born there, and I guess it has stuck with me for the rest of my life. Anyway, glad you made it safely there, and hope the rest of your trip is also safe. BTW, we probably have the worst roads in the nation, and the warning signs leave a lot to be desired. You may already know all this, but I feel better telling you anyway. Be safe, and if you happen to be around east central NM let me know, we can get together and talk about new times, LOL.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozz,
I do love Santa Fe! I go to Los Alamos for business at least twice a month, and always insist on staying in Santa Fe.

That KOA is my safe harbor. I've stayed there twice on the way home from vacation because I was running late and knew I couldn't make it to Denver before falling asleep. Woke up one morning and I had straddled two campsites because I couldn't see. Wondered why the hookups were in a strange place.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
That is sweet Ozz, It sounds like you found a piece of paradise.
I hope you and Sue have a FANTASTIC time together.

I want to echo Tara's thought about "Pimping Out" your grill. I'm sure you can come up with something. Some Chrome Casters ?

Blue

Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, I opted to get the 'Already pimped out' model, this sucker even has a LED light bar for that late night burning of the dinner.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...camping005.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...camping002.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...camping006.jpg
Old 09-27-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Nice grill Ozz, good pics too, I'm just wondering why a man with so many talents hasn't fixed the crooked CG fence yet LOL.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That is a mess, isn't it? behind our rig, someone took out a 10' section of fence. Swung too wide, I guess.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:25 AM   #9
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Dog Gone it..... My firewall here at work wont let me view the pix. I guess I should be working huh ?

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote