Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Golf carts in RV Parks

I did a lot of camping this year and I see a lot of parks with all kinds of golf carts and 4 wheel utility vehicles. I wonder what has happened to a good old walk or the trusty bicycle.I see in some of the parks they have installed speed bumps to slow these things down. I like parks with nice smooth roads and now I have to put up with the speed bumps to stir things up in my rv.

old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have a Golf Cart and Love it. Nice to go and come to the pool not having to walk in a wet bathing suits also handy to leave guests in at the gate we call it our green machine!

We also walk
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am with you. Golf carts can have their purpose. But so often we see people constantly riding their carts all day long. And many of those obviously need the walk.
Worse are the ones that turn their underage kids loose on them to joy ride.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
They are nice for folks that don't get around easily, but I imagine some folks are just plain lazy... and I guess there is nothing wrong with that..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Like everything else, times change and not everyone agrees it's progress.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We're park hosts at the Matagorda Bay Nature Center RV park, where all 3- and 4-wheelers and golf carts are prohibited. The park isn't the size of some huge resort parks where we've stayed, but it is a large public park with a one-way paved road through it. We don't have room for trucks, cars, and trailers to be going through while golf carts and 3- and 4-wheelers are dodging in and around regular traffic.

Probably the actions of a very few caused the rule to be enacted. Not long ago a family pulled in and unloaded a golf cart while we were busy checking in campers at another entrance. Within minutes, we had complaints about the family's children careening around the park, through sites, etc., on the cart. The man was furious that the park ranger asked him to put the cart back on the little hauling trailer and leave it there. I was glad that I didn't have to handle that problem.

We've had trouble this year with Segways, of all things. Several times a month we have them appear in the park, and each time they were used irresponsibly by young adults who zipped through the park on them. They're expensive, so we haven't seem too many of them yet, but I bet next year Segway use will be prohibited in the park, too, because of the way they've been used this summer.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carolyn,
Do they allow the 3 and 4 wheel handicap carts? Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Yes, Dennis, they most certainly do allow 3 and 4-wheel handicap carts! Bicycles are also welcome. The golf carts, along with the other "toys," have been a problem because too many people operated them with the "anything goes" attitude (including going through campsites, going the wrong way on the park road, operating those things after quiet hours begin, allowing children to operate them--in general, it's the behavior that's been the problem). Had it been just one or two people being irresponsible, the rangers would have been more tolerant. Unfortunatly, it was the majority of toy owners that weren't considerate of others, and that caused the rule to go into effect.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Where I am, little kids, too short to sit on the seat, having to stand up to steer, rip around cutting donuts in the fields and there is no way they could react or step on the brakes in an emergency. The park is too small to even need a golf cart. The park doesn't care. Their redneck parents think it is ok. They think it is cool. Thankfully, most of the annoyance is over for the summer season. Nobody got hurt.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Would not be without our golf cart. We keep one in our winter park in Florida where we stay for five months, as do a majority of the other seasonal folks who stay there. Find them extremely useful and fun for many reasons. By the way I weigh 165 pounds, lift weights 3 days a week, walk or run five miles a day and do not consider myself lazy. Nor my wife who walks/runs with me and weights 125 pounds.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We have no problem with them, I have rhumatoid arthritis and would love to have a golf cart for our resorts but they do not allow anything except mobility chairs or like I have now a Vespa or moped that has a license plate
Old 09-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Richard Garrett

M.O.C. #12643
Sounds to me, more like a kid problem, than a golf cart problem. We park in a adult 55 and over park. There is no problem with golf carts.
Richard Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just got one at the park we are now in. It is a huge park. Still walk but the Golf cart is handy. This is a adult commumity and most everyone has a golf cart because of the size of the park....It is not a problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I think golf carts belong on golf courses not in campgrounds
Sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
This spring I was traveling solo on I-10 heading west and I stayed for a couple of nights at a 254 space park near Lafayette, La. During this time there was a concert with a popular cajun music band playing. It filled the park. Most of the people were locals and many brought their golf carts. These weren't regular carts, these were upgraded carts with special paint jobs, large music systems, upgraded wheels, lots of chrome and everything else trying to outdo each other. There were probably 75 carts there that weekend, each one traveling back and forth, sometimes filled with the kids, sometimes filled with the guys or the girls only, and or the many couples. I was amazed at how orderly and polite these folks were, even after consuming lots of alcohol. And at 10pm each night, it all stopped. At first I was thinking what did I get myself into staying here? By the second night I was thoroughly enjoying it, although 2 nights was about it for me.

It appears this is a favorite pastime for the locals around here. It was very family oriented, they have fun dressing up their carts with school colors (there was only purple and gold as far as I could see, the colors for LSU), and a good excuse to use their RV's. Many set up outside kitchens big enough to feed 50 people and will invite anybody to stop, have a cold one and enjoy a platter of bugs (crawfish). I have to admit I made the rounds many times.

Jim
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Gnats, ants, flys, jet skis, golf carts, all aggravating.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Richard Garrett

Sounds to me, more like a kid problem, than a golf cart problem. We park in a adult 55 and over park. There is no problem with golf carts.
In my opinion blaming the kids is missing the real problem. In the old days, this would have been classified as a parent problem!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sailer

I think golf carts belong on golf courses not in campgrounds
Sailer
What if a golf course is part of the campground. As In deer creek RV and Golf resort.. were we are.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
If you do not like the park you are in let your wheels do your talkin and make a move..
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #20
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Don't own a cart and have nothing against them, but I think the problems with them is two fold: 1. Parents allowing their kids to run around with the carts, and 2. Campground owners who do not enforce their own rules about the operations of said carts, young kids driving with no adults, zig zaging in and out of sites, between other RVs, at night with no lights, etc. Park management was informed but didn't seem to care. Another CG on our list to stay away from.