Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Adjustment of topper spring

My topper on my kitchen slideout is not tensioned tight enough tokeep it from sagging and getting caught when I retract my slides. I hope someone can tell me how to tighten the spring without taking a finger or two!!!..Dave

Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Dave, I went to "ask.com" and entered "How to set tension on RV awnings." and got a ton of sites to instruct you.

I'm thinking you can start by removing the short arm on the awning. The one used to prevent the awning from unwinding as you travel down the road. You may be able to get one turn on the awning that way.

I don't remember the slide awnings as having as much tension as the main awning. The main awning has a hole that you can slide a long cotter pin through to hold it in place while you repair the awning or thread new fabric. Possibly the slide awnings have a pin hole as well.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Since I installed all four of my toppers, I think I can give you the steps you need. If I were to increase the tension on my toppers, this is how I would do it.
1. Extend the slide most of or all the way out.
2. Install cotter pins in each end of the roller assembly (you may need to roll the tube by hand to get the hole to line up. Also, I think if you get 1/8" or 3/32" X 3" cotter pins, that should do it.(Size required may be in literature)
3. Once the pins are in place, there should be no spring tension on the roller. (you can run the slide in a couple inches to prove this)
4. Detach the brackets from the slide.
5. Roll up the fabric on the roller one turn.(two if you feel lucky)
6. Run the slide in to where you need it to re-attach the brackets and re-attach. Grab roller and remove the cotter pins.
7. Try it out. If it still sags enough to get caught in the slide, then you may have a broken or very weak spring. I can not help you on spring replacement.

Good Luck
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You also need to find out if you have a Dometic or A&E slide topper ... although similar, the above described procedure varies slightly due to design. Two step ladders and and another helping hand is essential. Placing the cotterkeys as described above is VERY important. Either manufacturer has a website with pictures and instructions in PDF format.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I don't know if I would detach the brackets as in a new install. You may create additional problems with getting the screw holes elongated. I suggest you remove the hex extension bars.
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/AE_topper.pdf
http://www.rv-motorhome-answers.com/...tallation.html
Here's a couple of sites.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Since I installed all four of my toppers, I think I can give you the steps you need. If I were to increase the tension on my toppers, this is how I would do it.
1. Extend the slide most of or all the way out.
2. Install cotter pins in each end of the roller assembly (you may need to roll the tube by hand to get the hole to line up. Also, I think if you get 1/8" or 3/32" X 3" cotter pins, that should do it.(Size required may be in literature)
3. Once the pins are in place, there should be no spring tension on the roller. (you can run the slide in a couple inches to prove this)
4. Detach the brackets from the slide.
5. Roll up the fabric on the roller one turn.(two if you feel lucky)
6. Run the slide in to where you need it to re-attach the brackets and re-attach. Grab roller and remove the cotter pins.
7. Try it out. If it still sags enough to get caught in the slide, then you may have a broken or very weak spring. I can not help you on spring replacement.

Good Luck
ditto