Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
hot water switch

I found where fireman installed a electric wall switch inside to replace the one on the tank. I want to do this on my 04, 2980 monty. I dont quite understand which wire to cut, and how to get to the wiring on my picticular unit. Any suggestions ? thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Tom,

If You go in to the basement under the bedroom slide, you can take the paneling off the rear side of the basement wall (4 screws) and that should expose your hot water tank. I would cut the 120v AC wire going to the HW tank and put a junction box in. After putting the junction box in, join the white wires back together and the Copper ground wires back together (inside the junction box). Then run a new 12/2 loomix wire from the junction box to where ever you want the switch. In the junction box hook the black 12/2 wire to one of the back wires you already have in the box, and the white 12/2 wire to the other black wire going to the HW tank. also attach the 12/2 ground wire to the ground wires in the junction box. Now the other end of the 12/2 wire can be hooked up to your switch. Black to one side, white to the other. Oh ya hook the ground wire to the ground on the switch. Also I would buy a 20 amp switch, 15 amp might be a little light. If in doubt get a electrician. Hope this is a little clearer than mud. Good luck.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Tom,
Putting that switch on the inside is a very good idea also. It's possible for the switch to be on at the tank, and you forget about it, and drain the water. If you forget to shut off the switch, good bye heating element. They're not expensive to replace but it's worth having it inside where you're constantly reminded of it.
Rick
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
JH your description is clear even for me lol! but I see you have a 2980 also, yours a 06 mine an 04, and I thought we had the same floor plan an all. But my water heater is right by the entrance door on the left side an under the kitchen counter. There is a lovered panel on the counter wall right above the furnace. thanks for the information, an I will let you know how it turns out. happy thanksgiving to you and your family an be safe
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Tom: I too added a switch to control my electric hot water heater. I removed the holder that the useless remote control for the A/C rested and installed the switch there. One thing you might consider ... the switches at Lowes are generally 15 amp ... go to a electric supply house and get a "Leviton" brand 20 amp lighted switch. When the switch is on the toggle lights up. Mine happens to be red.

My fiver is the same as yours so I did mine a little differently than JH ... I just removed the grill from the kitchen side of the countertop. Find the 2 wires that go to the electric hot water heater switch located outside behind the metal grill and splice into the load side of the switch with the new wires coming from the wall switch. When you finish installing the wall switch, just leave the outside rocker switch on ... you will control the hot water heater using your new switch.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Thanks JH an diesel guy, I just completed the project, wasnt that hard an I did get a 20 amp switch mine lights red to. This sure helps out and I loke it alot better> thanks again