Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Craft day at the Rally?

I was wondering how many crafters, hobbyists, quilters, etc. plan to attend the Rally in October. Maybe it would be fun to have an afternoon where we all get together to share our projects. I really enjoy seeing what other "artists" create. Is anyone else interested?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Please forgive my ignorance, but where is this "October Rally/"
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
The Rally is centered around Reno, Nevada.

Click Here for more information on the 2005 2nd Annual North American MOC Rally
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, Stiles, I'm really glad that I posed this question. Maybe there are others who don't know we're having a rally in October. It's time to make your plans.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hecky darn, that is about the time we are making our trek to North Carolina to see those five grandchildren my son spirited away from Texas. I would sure like to be there, but I don't have this clone thingy worked out yet.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I can't imagine those five grandchildren taking priority over a rally. Hee, hee! And if you believe that..... You will most certainly be on the wrong coast for this party. Maybe next year.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I think an afternoon for crafters would be a good idea. I have some cross stitch projects I have done (and lots not done). But now that retirement is coming up there will be lots of time to work on it!!!!! Am interested in the quilt projects and how all of you handle it in the Monty.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:44 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Myrna, there's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful day with your sewing machine on the picnic table. I haven't figured out how to take my mini longarm with me yet! LOL! I'm sure a lot of quilters do the hand quilting thing, an art that I'm going to have to develop.

I'd love to see your cross stitch projects. And maybe we should have "an unfinished craft project day". I could certainly contribute to that one!
Old 03-22-2005, 03:55 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I think a craft day at the rally would be fun. I have some cross-stitch, painted projects, etc. that I could bring along. The Good Sam rally is having a craft fair, but I was put off by the $30 per table charge.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well I can certainly contribute to the unfinished projects. Waiting for retirement. I do make earrings right now. I've been looking for a fifth wheel charm so I can make earrings from them. My Mother and Aunt use to have this little round quilt frame. It was probably about 2 feet in diameter. Seems like it would work for RVing. My grandmother pieced tons of quilts and we have most of them quilted (all by hand) but still have a few tops that need quilting. I remember quilting bees when I was little and playing under the big quilt frame and listening to the ladies talk about the ones (not there) that didn't quilt good.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, Sue, I would be one of those they would talk about! I tried handquilting once and all I did was bleed on the quilt! The "pros" didn't like that very well.

We can always have a "craft bee", just get together to do our thing and talk, even if we don't have enough interest for a formal setting. Sounds like fun either way. And if someone wants to buy something......
Old 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Judy, I know what you mean about bleeding. It really is an art and one so many people don't realize. Making those tiny little stitches and going through all layers and make those stitches EVEN. I made all of my own clothes by the time I was 13 or 14 but I was still watched very closely when I quilted. I think it would be fun to just "Show and Tell". I get ideas a lot from what others have done - not a copy it just clicks on something different that I could do.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Sounds like we'll have a few interested people. As time for the rally gets closer we'll have to see what we can find out about where we could have an informal meeting/gathering. I'm always interested in other people's projects, too.

By the way, I'm writing under my hubby's new username as I can't get logged on.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #14
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Count me in for the crafty stuff. I am the world's biggest puttzer and have crossstitch, watercolor painting, needlepoint, watercolor pencils and quilting stuff with me, so I would not be "bored." If I could only take the time to do any of it....Plus I would love to see how others handle the sewing machine and iron in the Monty.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice to hear from you, Kim. Are you still in Ozark?

I'll be taking my Singer featherweight with me and at least get some piecing done. Does anyone "paperpiece"? It's fun and doesn't take up much room although it's a little messy with all the snippets. I think the key to the sewing machine is to have a small model that doesn't take up much storage space. That leaves us more room for supplies and FABRIC!
Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I am intensely non-talented when it comes to crafting, among other things. But I would enjoy seeing what you all have done and are doing. Would you consider your 'craft day' to be an open day where any or all of us could see your work?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I bought the "suitcase" for crafting from Jo-Ann's that was mentioned some time ago here on the MOC. It has a place for the iron and has a fold out for piecing and reverse side for pressing. I think it was made with quilters in mind but will work for other crafts as well. I don't have my sewing machine here yet but bought a portable several years ago with the idea of bringing it along. It will fit under the shelves that are at the far right corner of our closet.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
I think it would be great to have an open craft day or days at the rally, Steve. I don't know what accomodations the campground can provide or how we can get it on the schedule. It's always fun to share our crafts. Good to see you online again, Steve and Vicki.

Sue, those portable crafting suitcases are great for all sorts of crafters. I'm envious. I did sewing for my entire family when the kids were growing up and then decided I needed to do something with all my leftovers. Quilting has taken over now except for a little sewing for the grandchildren.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote