Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
Montana_3313

M.O.C. #3313
3/4 or 1 ton

Hi everybody!

I'm new around here and pardon me for asking a question that's probably come up a hundred times.

We have our eyes set on a 3400RL. I will definitely buy a SRW p/u to pull it since I am a surf fisherman and some beaches I fish have a DRW restriction.

I'd like to stick with a 3/4 ton for a smoother ride when I am using the truck strictly as a get-around vehicle. However I am concerned that it will not be as servicable a TV as a SRW ton truck.

Is the 3/4 enough for a 3400RL?

Is the handling of a 1T while towing a 3400 that much better than a 3/4?

If the 1T is better is the benefit worth the harder ride at times I won't be towing?

How much harsher is the unloaded ride of the 1T as compared to the 3/4?

Anybody sorry they got the 3/4 to pull the 3400?

Anybody sorry they got the 1T?

A lot of subjective questions I realize but I'm trying to make the right decision.

Montana_3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Hugh, I pull my 3685FL which is very close to same weight as 3400 and as you can see I have 2001 F250 PSD, SRW CC 4x4 and have nor problems at all. All and all I am about 13K lbs FW and 8800 TV. No issues at all. Love my truck, but will have to emit I have truck envy on the 2005 Super Duty King Ranch series with Tow Command and trailer package, only way to go. They say it has tow capacity of about 16K nice truck. Also noticed Dodge is coming out with a Mega CC 2500 & 3500 in Cummins with new auto transmission. this truck has an extra 12 inches behind the rear seat which gives you extra extra storage. Looks good but I personally have never been much of a Dodge fan but some would swear by it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Hugh, I have a 2002 F-250 Crew Cab that I have added a GearVender over/under transmission,4.30 rear end,air bags on the rear,plus an extra leaf in the springs. We have a 2003 3280RL that weighs in at 14180 where the 3400 is 13790, I don't have any problems going over any highways,inclines/declines etc.. I usually run @ 55mph and on the steepest grade I slowed down to 45mph which I feel is satisfactory.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Hugh, no matter which unit you end up with my approach is always to have a bit in reserve. We tow with the Dodge 3500 1 ton Turbo Diesel and just love the tow experience - hardest part is keeping down to the speed limit! No problem with ride unladen - one word of advice though - we were recommended to the Pullrite Superglide hitch which with a short bed may avoid a very expensive contact between rear window of truck and nose of fiver. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than a new rear end to the cab!

BTW the 3400 is a unit to drool over! Cannot recommend highly enough. I am adding air bags before next tow but it is probably not necessary - just my usual over cautious nature.

Good luck. Welcome aboard to the MOC.

Colin
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Hugh - you can see from my signature I pull a 3400RL with an F-250. This is a new set up, but even the older truck was an F-250 and both pull the new trailer with no problems. Both were short wheel base, single rear wheeled too. You just need to be careful when you back and be sure to have a hitch that will allow either auto or manual slide adjustments. I too love to fish, compared the cost of tire rotation, and just a simple fact of using a car wash with a dual rear wheel. They are great, but opted for the single. No problems so far. They are more stable in certain situations, but some of the full timers will have to address that issue. Great choice on trailer.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hugh, I got a 3500 for three reasons.

1. It rode nicer than the 2500HD. Probabley due to the fact it has a longer wheel base and taller sidewall tires.

2. I got it for about the same price as a comparitively equiped 2500HD.

And 3. When my wife and I decide to get a Montana, I don't need to worry if I'm going to hurt the truck.

Heck, the one time I did have my coach (see signature) hooked up, it hardly acted like anything was back there.

Shop and compare. On this forum, you will learn that it really doesn't matter what kind of truck you have, it matters whether or not you have a Montana. Good luck!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Looking at the 2005 Ford F-250,CC,SWD, PSd I see tow limit of 15,800Lb..The 3400 is 11,380 Dry with a GVWr of 13,770. Now I got the F350 Dually rated at 16,100 and they can go up to over 19000.00.Looks like the Ford 3/4 ton will do the job.I have made the mistake of buying the truck that will do the job for the camper I have or am thinking of buying then a couple of years later wishing I had a bigger truck...This time I got the biggest truck I could afford..I figure a towrating of 16100Lb covers any Rv that I could afford now or in the future..I guess what I am saying is..buy the biggest, badest truck you can afford. Got the daully for stability..I had a choice..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hugh,
Carefully check the 5er tow ratings for both. I'm not sure about the current models, but in past years the tow rating for 3/4-ton trucks often has been higher that the 1-ton. This was because they both had the same Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (both truck & trailer) and since the 1-ton weighs more, it reduced the trailer weight capability. You also want to check the load rating for each to make sure it will handle the pin weight plus whatever else goes in the truck. Also, most diesels come standard with a rear end ratio somewhere near 3.73:1, and going to 4:10 (approx) will increase the tow rating. To my knowledge the engine/transmission combinations for all of the Big 3 mfgs are the same for 3/4 or 1-ton trucks, so no difference there. Hope that helps.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hugh,
As you can see my by signature I am towing the 3400RL with a 2500HD Chevy and have not had any trouble with this combination. You are not going to over weight this truck towing the 3400RL unless you over gross the coach. I use this truck as my daily driver as well and have not had much trouble parking or getting around in town. The only thing I have to watch is going into the parking garage downtown, but a 2500HD or a 3500 will have the same problem. I have been 100% happy with the way my truck tows the coach and if I had to replace the truck today, I would again get the 2500HD. For what it is worth I do not see the need to have a dually for towing the Montana's. Unless you are moving livestock I just dont see a need. I am sure some will disagree but again just my opinion and experience. I would also recommend the diesel motor over the gas, but again that is just my opinion.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
Montana_3313

M.O.C. #3313
Thanks for the input,keep it coming , it is helpful.

The tow limit isn't what concerns me. It is the pin weight and stability and handling issues. I've done quite a bit of grain hauling in my day with overloaded 6-wheel trucks. I know what it's like to jockey something that's too heavy on the drives and light in the steering. Fatigueing to say the least. I don't want that in my recreation.

On the other hand I don't want my fillings shook out by using the truck to just go to town to get the paper.
Montana_3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:22 AM   #11
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
We have a 2003 3/4 T Dodge (our trailer is light though). It is a great ride. However, hubby is already wishing he got the dully. Our son has a 2003 dully and uses it back and forth to work. I have rode in it and it is a very smooth ride... I wouldn't want to park it at the mall, but I bet we end up with the dully for the purpose of stability as richfaa stated. Hubby LOVES the diesel and says he would never go back to gas. Have a great day!
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #12
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We run a gasser 3/4 ton 2500HD. Surprisingly, the 3/4 ton has the highest TOW rating in the Chevy line (when set up correctly). The only issue will be kinpin weight at the rear axle. Keep an eye on that weight, as that will be the one you will max out the fastest (the one-ton will allow more headroom in this rating). Although our 297RKS is smaller than your 3400, we've been extremely pleased with the pulling, driving and stopping with this rig! As well, we sat the entire rig on a commercial scale a couple of weeks ago and had plenty of headroom in all weight catagories.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:08 AM   #13
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
I have towed with both 3/4 and 1ton which I now have. Both have done the job w/o any problem and both have be a pleasure to drive towing or empty. I choose a 1t duelly this time because it seems to set better on the road when hitting the quartering winds heading west. What erver you choose in the 3/4 or 1t hd will do what you ant it to do. Happy towing and SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
Hugh,
We have a 3400rl and pull with a GMC 2500HD crew cab short box. It pulls like a dream. Have pulled her over 18000 miles in the last 12 months and love it. I did not want the 1 ton because the long box won't fit in my garage. Living in Wyoming the garage is a must
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #15
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
All of the 3/4 or one ton trucks will have the tow capacity but most 3/4 tons will be well over the manufacturers pin weight. I have read posts on this forum where some are 1 ton over. I have owned an F250 and now an F350 and can't tell the difference in the ride.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:58 AM   #16
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
Hey Broome101, Christmas is only 9 months away for that new King Ranch.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #17
1putt
Established Member

M.O.C. #971
I put 10,000 miles on my first trailer, a'04 3280 with a '04 F350 PSD KR SRW and recently traded for a '05 3400. I love the new trailer however, I notice that the 3400 is a little more suseptable to cross winds. Let me preface by saying that I'm the kinda guy that likes going posted speed (or better) and prefer a smooth ride too. I guess 20+ years in Houston traffic has some effect on my driving habits!!! Even though my F350 rides equal to my friends F250, I chose to add a couple of things to make it ride even smoother. Velvet Ride shackles, Bilstein shocks, and Firestone air bags provide a very smooth ride for solo or towing conditions. In addition, my "evil twin" decided that it was time for a Banks Power upgrade a couple of weeks ago. Now, I don't know why he waited so long???
Look at your weight limits, I think the 1 ton would be a better choice for the 3400. It's still a good ride, even without all the stuff I added. AND, I'm with scrowba, get the King Ranch... Christmas or not!!!
1putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #18
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
You will note by my signature that we're using a 2001 3/4 T Dodge Cummins to pull a 2955RL. It has the tow/camper package on it and I've not any stability problems with high winds across the west. We Just ordered a new one Friday,(18th) with the same setup.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #19
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Just a second thought and seconding the comment about buying the biggest and baddest truck you can afford - it was comforting to ask at the Plant last year "what can I tow with my truck?" and the answer came back "Anything we make!"
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #20
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Here I am late to the post again. After reading all the replies, one I did not see was that the 1 ton rear end has larger diameter bearings and ring and pinion gears. This larger diameter and bigger bearing combination is more stout than the 3/4 and over the long haul should last longer because they will run cooler and distribute the load over a wider surface area.
That is the reason the "big dog" is a Ram 3500 SRW with the Cummins - she just barks a little and goes!
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote