Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2004, 02:39 AM   #21
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Speaking of satellite connections...This weekend I mounted the dish on a portable clamp affixed to the rear ladder on the 3685. I know the cable connection works in both the livingroom & bedroom. When I hooked up to the SAT connection in the living room I ran a cable from the inside connector to the SAT receiver then the "white cable" that ran from the ANT plug-in to the SAT out connector on the receiver. Viola---SAT TV in the livingroom. Took the second receiver we had and ran from the SAT outlet in the bedroom to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV---no signal---nada...! Then i stated thinking (this is where I get in trouble) and wondered what the second cable in the entertainment conter with the green tape around it was for. Had a mental melt-down---could not figure out what it was for. Of course, the "owners manual" was of no help. I think either they did not hook up the bedroom jack or I goofed up the connection "up front". Anyone have any ideas? The roof antenna connections work in all locations, the cable jacks work in all locations, but only the SAT connection works in the livingroom. My oldest son told me "I'm not a Cable Guy---I only do sound stuff" (he's right, got the TV to run through the surround sound system). So, what is the second coax cable for that runs into the antenna jack area next to the entertainement center really for---green "marker tape" and all?

tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:15 AM   #22
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The second unused cable in the entertainment center is the feed to the bedroom. If You split the raw sat feed and connect this cable to the splitter, raw sat feed will be in the bedroom.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:28 AM   #23
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Thanks---I'll give that a shot and hopefully this will solve the problem.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:04 PM   #24
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GypsySCM

Do you have both a Satellite connection and a Cable connection on the outside of your 5W? Mine only has the Satellite connection, which works fine for my Dish Satellite.
Hello Siamese Cat Mom,

I don't think we have a cable connection either. It should be easy to add one behind the entertainment unit though. We have never had cable, either at home or in a campground, so I'm afraid I know next to nothing about it.

On our unit, the satellite input is the top one of the pair behind the top shelf of the entertainment unit. It came with about a foot of co-ax jumpering the two connectors together. I'm not sure why, or what it is supposed to do. I just removed it. I'm guessing that it allows you send the sat. signal to a reciever in the bedroom, in case you wanted to watch sat. TV in bed? Seems strange, but I can't think of any other reason for it.

Hope all is well with you and your critters, we are enjoying nice warm weather on the Alabama Gulf Coast.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:49 AM   #25
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
I may be having a "senior moment" but I remember being able to use both satellite and cable. The cable connection at the rear of the unit is also connected to the antenna outlet for both TV's. If you connect the antenna outlet to the ant. in on the back of the Sat. receiver, you should be able to watch the cable channels by switching the receiver to antenna. You will then need to change channels on the TV. Some have mentioned that you also need to turn off the antenna booster to watch cable. Don't remember how I had ours set.
Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm definitely not an expert on this subject but recall someone saying they have the satellite wiring rather than the cable tv wiring so they can hook either/or to theirs. Couldn't those who want to find out if they have this setup tell by looking at the numbers on the wiring? I don't recall the numbers for cable tv wiring but it seems it's something like RJ-6 or something like that. If I recall, the wiring has the numbers stamped every so many inches along its length. Can someone supply the correct wiring numbers for satellite and cable tv?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:36 AM   #27
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Ours came with the satelite prep package. It has one connection for cable and one for satelite on the outside of the rig. We can have both cable and sat connected at the same time. If we want to watch tv with cable we have to turn off the antenna booster, it don't have any effect on the sat connection. The extra cable in the entertainment center sends the sat signal to the bedroom tv.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #28
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ok, here it is (at least on the 2003 3670RLBS). The cable and the antenna are on the same inside connection. If you are on the antenna, turn on the boost. If you are on the cable, turn it off. The other lead is from the satellite and would be used to connect to the satellite box. This information came from the service manager at the dealer.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:34 AM   #29
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Stiles - Who did you speak with at Keystone? I agree with the logic of the connections you describe, except for the fact that my Montana has no external connection for the cable TV, only for satellite. You can't connect two cables to one incoming connection.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:35 AM   #30
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just for the record: my 2002 2955RL has two external TV connections (very far apart on the service side of the RV). One is clearly marked "Satellite". It is near the "tank flush" fitting--midship. The other is far aft, near the telephone input.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:27 AM   #31
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Also just for the record. our 2005 3670 has both cable and satellite inputs on the street side. Behind the TV are three cable connections, 1 for the satellite, 1 for the cable and 1 to feed the satellite to the bedroom. to feed the bedroom you need to loop the two satellite connections. Someone mentioned a splitter for the satellite feed, you can't use a regular splitter on a satellite feed because it blocks the switching voltage and power feed to the LNBF. Also cable splitters are not designed to operate at the frquency of the satellite feeds.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:52 AM   #32
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by tweir

Speaking of satellite connections...This weekend I mounted the dish on a portable clamp affixed to the rear ladder on the 3685. I know the cable connection works in both the livingroom & bedroom. When I hooked up to the SAT connection in the living room I ran a cable from the inside connector to the SAT receiver then the "white cable" that ran from the ANT plug-in to the SAT out connector on the receiver. Viola---SAT TV in the livingroom. Took the second receiver we had and ran from the SAT outlet in the bedroom to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV---no signal---nada...! Then i stated thinking (this is where I get in trouble) and wondered what the second cable in the entertainment conter with the green tape around it was for. Had a mental melt-down---could not figure out what it was for. Of course, the "owners manual" was of no help. I think either they did not hook up the bedroom jack or I goofed up the connection "up front". Anyone have any ideas? The roof antenna connections work in all locations, the cable jacks work in all locations, but only the SAT connection works in the livingroom. My oldest son told me "I'm not a Cable Guy---I only do sound stuff" (he's right, got the TV to run through the surround sound system). So, what is the second coax cable for that runs into the antenna jack area next to the entertainement center really for---green "marker tape" and all?
---------------------------------------------

Tweir,

Since you have the two receivers hooked up (assuming that all sat systems work like the "DISH" system) You need the two eyeball dish antennae and two separate RG-6 cable leads, one all the way to each receiver that you are using. You may be on a 75 OHM coax cable if you are using some buried inhouse wiring to get there. The receivers need all of the signal that they can get.

Good Luck.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #33
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Mike,

I just spoke with Craig in Customer Service at Keystone, who said they do not supply both satellite and cable TV connectors on Montanas. He said either you or your dealer added the second connector. Since it sounds like you didn't add it yourself, could you please verify whether your dealer did? If it came that way from the factory, I want to know for sure so I can insist that Keystone provide the second connector for my unit.

Thanks in advance,
Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:37 AM   #34
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not sure about anyone else put I have a Cable TV connection at the left rear of the rig and a "Satellite Prep" connection on the left side near the ouitside shower and basement door. And I was told by the dealer that the "Satellite Prep" connection is where the satellite cable is connected.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 AM   #35
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just for the record: my setup is exactly as Glenn has just described. I have used both on many occasions. You just have to set up at the TV set to receive one or the other.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #36
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We also had a Satellite Connection and a Cable TV connection. Both work great. Just have to switch cables at the TV.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #37
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
GypsySCM
I think the person you were talking to was mistaken! Neither the dealer or I added anything.

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also have both but the sat prep is on the door side on ours. We don't have a dish so haven't tried the satellite connection. Our dealer did not add either of them. We ordered sat prep and it came from the factory as described above. They only way I could believe Keystone not having two connections is if they made the wiring for the single connector to be compatible for both cable and satellite. And that seems kind of a pain to have to switch which is connected outside when you want to watch, say, local news or sports.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote