Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 06:13 AM   #1
Montana_2427

M.O.C. #2427
Wood used in Montanas ..another question

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and have 2 questions.
We are considering purchasing a Montana. I have read on other forums that Keystone uses "fake wood", "wrapped wood", (and some other kind of wood product...I forget the term that was used) and that it's not real wood for the cabinetry, door frames, mouldings etc. I'm not sure if it's just with the Montanas or all of Keystone's products.
I have sent Montana/Keystone 5 e-mails to date (the first being early October) and have not yet received a reply.
1) does Montana/Keystone not usually answer e-mail, or are they just avoiding my question?
2) can you enlighten me on the type of wood that is used in the Montana.
I'm wondering, if they feel my e-mail was not important, and not deserving of a reply, how will they be in service/warranty work. I found not hearing from them rather disappointing, considering when I have e-mailed Jayco, I receive a reply within 2 days.

I enjoy this forum....tons of good input here!!

Thank you for your help,
Sherri

Montana_2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Can't answer the question concerning email as I never had the need to email them. Instead I have found the old fashioned telephone worked everytime. I also find I get better, more qualified answers to my questions when I am dealing one on one with another human being over the phone rather than through email.

The cabinet doors, table, dining room chairs, etc all appear to be real wood. As far as the cabinet frames they also "look like" real would but it would not surprise me it was a laminate. Typically to keep cost and weight down most all RV cabinet manufacturers have gone to laminates.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I've always had good luck with Keystone and emails. Used it on 4 or 5 occasions now. Only time they didn't answer was when I was trying to get info on new models coming out soon and I can understand their reluctance to answer that one.

I believe the cupboard doors are real wood but the cabinet frames are laminate. I don't think that's much different than other like quality manufacturers.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I should have added that many of the MOC members have been very pleased with Keystone and warranty work. In my case they did some work that was 1 year past warranty. Look over this forum, you'll see lots of comments on this. Most good, some bad.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've never had good luck with getting replies to email. Calling them seems to work much better.

Our Montana has solid oak doors and the table and chairs are real wood. The solid oak doors was an extra cost option when we bought ours. The standard doors were also wood but I think the center piece was a veneer. Not sure about that but do know we ordered solid oak doors. The door frames and cabinet structure I believe is the lighter weight laminate, or vinyl covered pressboard or something like that. As Chester said, it's very similar to others in the same price range. I THINK the Big Sky model has or has an option for the entire cabinet to be real wood but I'm not positive about that. The Big Sky is being discontinued so that's a moot point anyhow.

Our cabinets have withstood 25k miles and 20 months of fulltiming very nicely.

If you want to go more upscale on cabinets and other things, there's a new model or line coming out. It's supposed to be introduced to dealers very shortly. We're hearing it may be called the Cambridge. I'm not sure if it will be "Montana Cambridge" or just "Cambridge". We're hearing this will be a more upscale fulltimers rig with mor-ryde suspension and everything else upgraded. Don't know any more than that yet.

Good luck. Good question. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Whatever you get, be sure to look underneath, behind doors, etc., and see the quality of the construction of the frame, etc. Look for little things like attic vents to vent moisture. Be careful of buying something with lots of 'eye candy' but less than quality underpinnings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:28 AM   #6
Montana_2427

M.O.C. #2427
Thank You everyone for taking time to reply.
Your input is much appreciated.

SREIGLE: I've "heard" about that new Cambridge. Must be one awesome rv. Can't wait to see it.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sherri -

Don't know where you live, but you may want to consider a factory visit if you are in the midwest. Enjoy scenic Indiana. Once you see how they're built, you will appreciate these trailers even more. Another thing is, if you take pictures, you learn where all of the wires, hoses, and other things go together.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My Big Sky has oak cabinet doors through out with oak fronts on the cabinets to which the doors are attached. However, the inside, back wall and sides are laminate. All furniture is solid oak, i.e., coffee table, small table between recliners and dining table with chairs. Upgrades may have been included on later models. By-the-way, welcome to the MOC Forum.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
Montana_2427

M.O.C. #2427
Stiles Watson: Thank you for your reply. We saw the Big Sky. Very nice unit. We aren't in any hurry to buy..just kind of looking and researching right now before we make a decision. The Montana is high on our list. I hope that new Cambridge I've been hearing about will be out soon so we can see it...sounds like a nice rig.

Rames14: We are just outside of Windsor Ontario Canada. Right across the river from Detroit Michigan. Thank you for your reply.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:36 PM   #10
Montana_882
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #882
The CAMBRIDGE will be shown at the Louiville show for the first time.When we were at the factory recently we also the NEW MONTANA colors.They have changed the wording and most of the basic colors to a very pretty BLUE. They also have a completely REAR liveing area closed off by FRENCH DOORS.It really was very nice.
AS I stated before, the CAMBRIDGE will replace the Big Sky and have sveral upgrades as standard equipment,one of those is MOR/RYDE suspension.We were told that they felt that the big sky was just an upgraded montana and they wanted something to stand out and be identified as a seperate unit.
They wouldn't give out any prices and stated thoes would comeout at the show.
Montana_882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Anyone know when that show is to be held?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Most of the cabinets, except for the cabinet doors are MDF photgraph wood look. including the Oak that frams for the slides inside. the cabinet face frames are MDF. which makes the trailer VERY HEAVY. if you have the stand alone dinnet one of the chairs weigh more than my Honda 2000 generator, and that is about 40 lbs. I took two of them out thats 80 lbs less to drag around, I'm thinking about looking into some store bought chairs with real wood much lighter. I dont understand other than price why Keystone uses heavy wood as MDF instead or a vanier ply. it is much stronger too.

TT2
Old 11-25-2004, 02:52 AM   #13
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
When we bought our 02 Montana we were told "There is no Prestboard in a Montana". So far we haven't found any. The cabinet frames are solid wood. But are a soft wood covered with Oak tape. This product looks good but is easily marred. Removing the TV will tear the edges. If you need to remove the TV put masking tape over the edges of the frame. Remove the tape right away. If you leave it and scotch tape it will tear the plastic covering on the wood.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:43 AM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Steve, I believe the show in Louisville is around Dec 4/5 timeframe. My dealer friend is supposed to get us as much info as possible so we can order in Dec if we like it.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:50 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Treecounter, I believe that's what our '03 has, too.

Chester, thanks for the info.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:06 AM   #16
Montana_2427

M.O.C. #2427
Thank you for the replies.
Gee...here I thought the cabinets, etc. were all real (solid) wood. I had heard that the Montana had "wrapped wood" and used MDF but I didn't believe it and that's why I asked here......who better than the owners to ask!!
Using the cabinets for an example, they sure look like wood to me, but being a novice and not sure how to really look at things, I'm easily fooled and now very disappointed.

TT2: Yes..I know those chairs are heavy. I have read on forums where people have got rid of the sofa, recliner/rockers, mattresses, and dinette chairs and purchased replacements from places like Sears.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:37 AM   #17
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Sherri, when you research other fifthwheel brands I think you'll find similar cabinet construction. The exceptions that use hardwoods throughout will be more expensive and quite a bit heavier than the Montana. This is something most of us have to find for ourselves. Good luck with your research.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:54 AM   #18
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
One small experience to add: we were given a very nice little calendar by an RV park host. It had an adhesive back which we mounted conveniently on the cabinet. When the year was over and we removed the little calendar -- Yep, that's when we discovered the "wood grain" came off. Left an ugly place in a very convenient place. We bought a small piece of American Indian art in New Mexico which now hangs to cover that ugly spot. So ... be careful with the wood grain covering.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:37 AM   #19
Montana_2427

M.O.C. #2427
HomeOnTheRoad: Thank you for the reply. I've noticed what you said in your post. I've looked at (on the net) a few "higher-end" units that have the "real" wood and they are quite heavy...in the area of 12,000+ pounds, 31+ feet in length, and around 60K to over 100K U.S. dollars. Unless we win the lottery , that's out of our budget range. We also have to get another truck, so we are looking at around 120 - 150K Canadian $ for the 5r and truck.

Padredw: Thank you also for your reply. Glad you were able to "fix" that damaged area. That's probably what I would have done.

We don't have many rv dealers in Windsor Ontario Canada.
One dealership carries several Fleetwoods (which I will not buy), Titaniums, and one other brand that escapes me at the moment. They have a poor service department, very poor customer relations, and will not "deal"...what they ask is what you pay. I will not purchase anything from them.
The 2nd dealership, who I will also not purchase from, carries Fleetwood, the Keystone Cougar, a lot of Citations, and one other make that I can't remember the name of right now but it's a "low-end" brand. I will not deal with them because 95% of their units on the lot are locked up, and if you need to see one, you have to go into the office and get someone to help you They follow you around like you're going to walk off the lot with something. They just care about getting your money and not much else. And they also will not make a deal with you...they want what they want for the unit period.
The only dealership, Leisure Trailer Sales, that we have dealt with is A++++ and I want to stay with them. All of their units are open for you to go in and look at. Sales staff come out to greet you, ask if you have any questions or if there is something in particular you'd like to see, and if not they leave you alone to browse. Hubby and I have been known to spend 4-6 hours on a Saturday looking at units and asking questions. They are super people to deal with. I know how important the dealership is in the purchase...before and after the sale. They will come down in their asking price, throw in extras, and if you have a problem they will bend over backwards to make their customers happy.
Right now they are carrying Jayco, Keystone (Montana, Mountaineer, Sprinter and Laredo), and a few Starcraft. I like the Montana but hubby is kind of leaning towards the Mountaineer.

We are moving up from a 2004 Jayco Eagle 14SO popup camper to a 5r, and don't have much knowledge about 5r's. We thought maybe we should just get an "entry level" unit, but being this will be the last rv we buy, we have to make an informed decison. We would like to stay around the 28' area and no more than 30'. We have given some thought to full-timing, but are not really sure if that's for us....just an idea we have been tossing around. So right now, unless things change, we will just be using the unit for local camping during the spring/summer months and 3-6 weeks vacation in northern Ontario in the fall.

I would like to ask you, what are the differences between the Montana and the Mountaineer. To me it seems like "cosmetics" but I'm not sure.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

Sherri
Old 11-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sherri, I'm probably not qualified to tell you the differences between Montana and Mountaineer. They're both good units. You might check things like attic vents. I know the Montana has that but am not sure about the Mountaineer.

Mostly I wanted to comment that all of the Montanas are over 30 feet actual length. The shortest, per 2004 specs, is the 2850RK at 30'1" actual. I'm not sure about the Mountaineer.

You can check both at these sites. Click on Specifications. I don't know if they have 2005 specs there yet.

http://www.keystone-montana.com for the Montana
http://www.keystone-mountaineer.com for the Mountaineer

You also can see floorplans, standard features, and options available on those sites, I think.

Good luck. Both are good rigs with a company that stands behind their product.