Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
Mike Sutton
Established Member

M.O.C. #18738
110v electrical problems

I have a 2016 Montana 3791RD. Three nights ago my 110v system flickered on and off several times in just a few second span. It did this several times during the next 30 minutes, I had one AC running and a couple of dc lights on. The dc lights were not affected. The AC did not shut off. No breakers were tripped. I shut off the 50 amp breaker at the box, unplugged the power cord on both ends. Turned off all the breakers in the RV and turned them back on. Plugged the power cord back in and turned the breaker back on. The same thing happen a few minutes later.

Two nights ago about the same time I had the same problem. This time the washing machine was running and continued to run. The problem continued for about 30 minutes and then went away.

Last night the same thing happened again at about the same time. Both AC's were running and continued to run but everything plugged into a 110v outlet flickered on and off. I had a night light plugged into one outlet and it flickered on and off about 30 times in about 15 seconds.

I spoke with the camp owner and no one else has reported power problems.

There has been no rain in the last week and the outside humidity as been around 90% at that time of evening. The RV was power washed two weeks ago but the problem only stared three days ago.

I plugged a tester into each outlet I could access and they all checked good.

I'm at a loss on this one and about ready to call Keystone for help. Any ideas before I do that?

Mike Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Do you use an EMS system?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Mike Sutton
Established Member

M.O.C. #18738
Have always used an EMS and it shows everything is good.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My advice would be to check all of the connections on the back of the breaker box. Some are loose upon shipment and if not torqued properly can loosen during the normal hauling of the rig over the roads. If the EMS did not show anything, the disruption has to be downstream of the EMS.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would also check the breaker panel (unplugged from power). I never had a problem with mine, but checking it after a couple years I found probably half the screws not correctly tightened on the circuit breakers, neutral bar, and ground bar. Same for 12 vdc panel.

But I would also ask the owner to have his maintenance guy open the power pedestal cover and check those connections also.

I don't have any idea how much "flicker" it would take to shut off the A/C or washer/dryer. Did microwave clock reset? Or TV flicker? Flicker could mean a rapid dip in voltage rather than a lose of voltage, maybe enough to keep things operating.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
Mike Sutton
Established Member

M.O.C. #18738
Microwave, fridge, and TV's went completely off and then came back on. Night light just flickered on and off. I thought about voltage drop but don't know enough to verify if that might be the problem.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #7
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I would also check the breaker panel (unplugged from power). I never had a problem with mine, but checking it after a couple years I found probably half the screws not correctly tightened on the circuit breakers, neutral bar, and ground bar. Same for 12 vdc panel.

But I would also ask the owner to have his maintenance guy open the power pedestal cover and check those connections also.

I don't have any idea how much "flicker" it would take to shut off the A/C or washer/dryer. Did microwave clock reset? Or TV flicker? Flicker could mean a rapid dip in voltage rather than a lose of voltage, maybe enough to keep things operating.

Sounds like a brownout. EMS should protect..., but as stated above, I'd start with power pedestal and work downstream from there. First site that you've experienced it at?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Mike Sutton
Established Member

M.O.C. #18738
Waiting on Maintenance guy to show up now to check pedestal. I checked it again and the EMS lights show it is wired correctly but the breaker was really hot and the digital electric usage meter was flashing on and off. I checked some other meters in the park and they were steady on. I suspect it may be a problem with the meter.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Had nearly the same problem a few years back with our previous unit. Check everything in the rig and finally went to the manager and he sent the maintenance man come over. He opened the pedestal and found that the ground wire was loose and it would heat up an separate just a short time causing the problem. He tightened it and everything worked well after that. Also had something happen at another campground and the main breaker at the pedestal was faulty and needed replacing. Once replaced, no problems from that point on either. Let us know what you find out more about the problem.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you have an electric meter on your pedestal, and it is getting hot, of course it could be bad, but also it could have been plugged in crooked, not into the jaws of the meter socket, or it is also possible that the jaws have lost their temper and can not maintain pressure on the meter's blades. Plugging your cord into a neighboring pedestal for a bit would prove you equipment good or bad. Do not attempt to pull or reinsert that meter yourself. If it has gotten that hot, and it has a glass cover instead of a plastic one, the glass can shatter and severely cut your hands. Better to have the electrician do it, and if he is smart, he will wear some heavy gloves to handle it.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Check the wire connections in both ends of your power cord. We had problems and found the wire connections in the power cord to be loose. We also check all connections at the breaker and with the battery disconnected the fuse panels for the 12V as well and found numerous lose terminal screws.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #12
Mike Sutton
Established Member

M.O.C. #18738
UPDATE: Had the meter changed on Friday and that eliminated to power flashing on and off. But, at 9:00 Friday night I lost one leg of my 110v circuit. I checked the pedestal and the breaker was not tripped. I turned the breaker off and back on and in the dark I could she the flash from it arching and it would not stay all the way on when I released it. Had the breaker replaced Saturday morning and no problems last night. Don't know if the breaker caused a problem with the meter or whether the meter caused a problem with the breaker. They are both replaced now and the problem is fixed.
Thanks you everyone's input.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Would have figured that the ems would have logged the power issue and not immediately restored power to that power leg. Pedestal maintenance is mostly non-existant as far as I have seen over the years. John