Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Traveling with pets.

We have two cats and two dogs. One a very big 116 pound German Shepard. With just the extended cab, how would we travel with all four? So far we have had to board the cats. That's starting to become very expensive. We have hired a "babysitter" for the rally, but we still worry about their care and being left. I need suggestions please.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:54 AM   #2
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Put them in the camper. Leave them in the camper with a vent open if weather permits because it could be quite hot in there. I would only do that if I myself could stand to drive the the windows down, and make sure they have plenty of water. Occassionally our dog Cleo likes to ride on our bed... we don't do it often but we have in the past. Others here will drive with their animals in the camper too. I'd prefer that to having them in cages in the back of the truck. Mine would be so scared and there is quite the suction back there too, a small crate with a small cat might be sucked out. It opened our rubbermaid tub and pulled out our clothes, throwing them to the side of the road. LOL
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We once let our kids and dog ride in the Montana. The dog wasn't in a crate. (Neither were the kids).

The kids did fine. The dog was freaked out the whole time because of the movement and the noise. I think the dog would have been fine if it had been crated so it would feel secure. Thank goodness the kids are both over 18 and don't travel with us much anymore so we get to leave the dog at home now.

If we had 4 animals to travel with, we'd probably put the cats in crates in the Montana, and one or both of the dogs in crates in there also. Of course, we'd leave all the roof vents open for maximum air flow. We have AirMaxx over our vents so we can do that while traveling.

We also have an extended cab truck and know all about big-dog breath wafting into the front seat.....*yeesh*

Good luck to you!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we travel with them right in the truck. our shepherd rides in the back seat and loves it! small dog sits up front with us...and cat she goes where ever she wants.I would never put them in the trailor!!! I wouldn't do it with the kids, so I wouldn't do it to the pets....it's not fair to them.they all love to travel, and travel very well. the first 1/2 hr. is the worst, but only because they are excited to go. we can't even start the deisel at home with out them getting mad that they're not going.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Montana_2022
Established Member

M.O.C. #2022
I would never think of putting my animals in the camper whilte traveling. We had an extended cab pickup and now have a 4 door. I built a padded platform for both trucks that went from the back of the seat up to the rear of the front seat. This is supported by screw on legs. It allows the dogs to have a place to lay and stretch and I don't have to worry about them falling off the seat if we have to stop quickly, and it also protects the leather seats from claw marks. We can also store items under the platform in front of the seat. We recently traveled from Northern Wisconsin to Southern Colorado and back, with a 5 year old lab, a 4 month old lab and a 12 year old grand daughter. Our grand daughter had plenty of room behind the passenger seat, as the platform only comes over to behind the counsel. This worked just great and is so simple to put together. We can take it in and out of the truck in just a couple of minutes. I feel sorry for any animal that is put in the camper while traveling, they must be terrified.
Montana_2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ours are small, as many of you know from my previous posts on dogs and traveling. They go in crates in back seat of the truck. No exceptions. It is safer for the animals, especially in the horrid event of an accident. The crates are held in by the truck seat belts (looped through the handle). I have heard to many sad stories of animals flying around the truck when accidents happen, they are hurt, they can hurt you (they are like a missle) and if they don't get hurt, they sometimes are thrown out of the vehicle to be hit by a passing car/truck or run away and who knows what. If you think I am making this up, read the mail lists on a few rescue groups for awhile.

I know some say that they can just harness their dog or cat with the seatbelts sold for this purpose, I submitt that in the event of an accident that dog or cat is still gonna be flying around in the back seat. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

(I know, you are all raising your eyebrows, thinking to yourself, there goes Carol again! Sorry if I have insulted anyone here at MOC, but I kinda do have strong feelings about pet safety in a moving vehicle. I have refrained from telling you some of the stories I have heard, as they are quite upsetting.)

That's my stand and I am sticking to it!

Come on, that last sentence was supposed to be funny, so, laugh please!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Carol, *smile* ..I think this just might turn out the be the most emotional topic we've ever had at the MOC.

We aren't full-timers yet, so we haven't needed to discover how to travel long-distance with pets. I don't even like traveling with our one dog. Our kids are living with us still so the pet stays home most of the time. Thank goodness we aren't the ones who have to figure out how to travel with 4 pets.

Good luck to you crlly6 in figuring out what to do.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I personally stand in awe of someone who manages to travel with cats! Mine HATE the car/truck. They stay home. If we ever get to go full time, they will have to find a new mommie, daddie and stick built home.

But the yorks do just fine with crates. They have to stay in them at home, if home is the stick built or the 5er, when mom and dad are not home. Again, for their own safety first, protection of my stuff second. Miss Tilly is over laying in a crate (sans door) at this very minute. She loves laying in there, it is her preferred spot in the office.

I've said it before here, I chose them, they did not choose me, and it is my responsibility to protect them, as best I can.

Now, lets pray for the gang down Florida way! Frances looks like she has a bee in her bonnet and she ain't happy!

Carol
Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #9
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Travelling with cats--a real sore spot here. We have given up on our two. You know that old saying "you can't teach....."?? Well it applies to cats as well!! Our two (10 and 12)absolutely refuse to be RV'ers and so we have had to figure something else out. The vet's for boarding is unmentionably expensive. No family in the area, so we have found a nice trusty 15 yr old who is happy to have a job and is good w/ the critters. Just hope that when she drives she won't want to give up the easy $$$ that cat-sitting is. The next set of animals will be in their crates in the truck from day one.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We traveled with 3 cats until our one passed away last Nov, now we travel with 2. I swear our one knows when we are loading as he cries wanting to get in the camper. They both ride up by the bed between the bed and dresser. We do a head count before running out the slides. They sleep until they think we have stopped for the day, sometimes are guy comes out to join us for lunch but the little girl stays put until camp is reached. They also don't leave the trailer unless we put them outside in their pen which we carry in the back of the truck - it folds down.

It is hard to decide how to travel with pets and everyone has their own opinons. Good luck.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 04:07 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
It's legal in some states to travel in the trailer if you have 2 way radios... it's quite noisy in there but it can be done in some places. If putting your animals in the trailer were the only way to go or leaving them at a kennel, they would be riding in the Montana.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

we travel with them right in the truck. our shepherd rides in the back seat and loves it! small dog sits up front with us...and cat she goes where ever she wants.I would never put them in the trailor!!! I wouldn't do it with the kids, so I wouldn't do it to the pets....it's not fair to them.they all love to travel, and travel very well. the first 1/2 hr. is the worst, but only because they are excited to go. we can't even start the deisel at home with out them getting mad that they're not going.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:12 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I agree about the cats, that's wonderful that some people take them with but ours can't stand to ride in the car and it wouldn't be pleasant for her or for us. We do bring our dog though, she loves to ride in the truck with the kids and just goes to sleep. I would never put her in the camper by herself while we were traveling if I could help it but if it were a matter of putting her in the camper or leaving her in a kennel, she would be riding in the camper.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

I personally stand in awe of someone who manages to travel with cats! Mine HATE the car/truck. They stay home. If we ever get to go full time, they will have to find a new mommie, daddie and stick built home.

But the yorks do just fine with crates. They have to stay in them at home, if home is the stick built or the 5er, when mom and dad are not home. Again, for their own safety first, protection of my stuff second. Miss Tilly is over laying in a crate (sans door) at this very minute. She loves laying in there, it is her preferred spot in the office.

I've said it before here, I chose them, they did not choose me, and it is my responsibility to protect them, as best I can.

Now, lets pray for the gang down Florida way! Frances looks like she has a bee in her bonnet and she ain't happy!

Carol
Old 09-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Well, when we left MN on our way back "home" to TX a couple of weeks ago, there were a total of 13 of us in the cab of our Dodge QuadCab: 1 Miniature Schnauser, 1 Blue Front Amazon Parrot, 2 Cockatiels, 1 full-grown cat [who'd "adopted" us at the campground] and her 6 kittens [3 days old when we pulled out], my wife and, behind the wheel, me.

The dog was in her bed on the back seat as were the birds [each in their individual carriers] and the feline contingent [sharing a carrier].

The humans shared the front seat with the laptop computer.

No problem.

Take everybody if you can!
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bob and Terri McCulloch

OUR HATS ARE OFF TO YOU!

We stand humbled and in awe!

Old 09-02-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Bob and Terri...
No snakes?? Hamsters, Guinea Pigs?? My hat is definately off...
If you can haul that menage... I can certainly take my four fuzz butts with!! all of mine like to ride... but it is usually better to have a cat carrier for the two short ones, asn they also like to get out.. They whine about it for a while, but eventually settle down.
Fron a Law Enforcement Standpoint... Ranger Mel Rears her ugree head again! I would be sure and check very carefully as to the legality of letting any human ride in a towed vehicle. It is illegal in every for instance here.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #16
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Some wonderful ideas for ways to transport pets during your adventures. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #17
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Bob & Terri,

I'm so glad to hear there's someone else crazy enough to take their parrots with them!! I know some of ours get as excited as our dogs when the fiver backs in to the driveway. Luckily, we can leave the three bird dogs home with the teenage boys and most of the flock, but some birds I just can't stand to leave behind. I'm curious if your 'tiels ever get night frights on the road. We usually travel with Timneh African Greys, a Red Lored Amazon, one of the Blue Crowned Conures and a Sun Conure. We can get some strange looks as I start unloading kennels or cages from the back seat of our truck. lol

Also, friends of ours bought our previous truck & fifth wheel and were hit by a semi on their third trip out with it. Both were totaled. They had their 9 year old daughter in the back seat (all were belted in) along with their two boxer puppies and all survived although one is still in therapy two years later. The pictures of the damage proved to us that we would never let anyone/anything we loved ride in the back. Too close to home.
Kalamity
Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:46 PM   #18
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kalamity

I'm curious if your 'tiels ever get night frights on the road.
Nope! (They don't get them - period!)

The only "issue" that we've had to deal with is the BFA's insistence that SHE be the first one into, and out of, her carrier. If she isn't, she gets hostile and that can present problems.

Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote