Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
countertops

Our new Montana has the solid countertops. I love them but after I clean them they look blotchy. Anyone use a special cleaner you would recommend?

Thanks.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I hope you get an answer to this. My counters are the same. They look blotchy and really awful. I didn't get any instructions as how to clean them and am afraid to try "just anything." Don't want to ruin them.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well I don't have the solid counter top but I did not like the looks of mine so I tried the pledge wax and I just love it, It gives it a nice shine. I know that someone will be here soon that has the same counter top that you do and can help you out.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
We have the solid counter top in our unit. Our dealer instructed us to use just warm water and dish soap. I also use glass cleaner (windex) to shine the counter up. You can not use anything with any abrasive as they scratch very easily.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:15 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the solid countertops and just use good old dawn dish soap on a dish towel to wipe them clean. Seems to work pretty good. I have noticed that these tops do really scratch easy.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:41 AM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Thanks for the input. I had thought about using Pledge. Roy seems to think you can buff the scratches out but will wait to talk with someone in an RV service center before he tries it on ours. He visits several of these in his tool business. Our counter itself is not scratched by the covers for the 2 sinks are slightly scratched. This may be covered under warranty so we will not do anything to void that!
Old 07-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Toolmanroy

The solid surface countertops are supposed to have a matte finish. If you see shiny spot (blotchy?) that is usually the result of oils from your hands touching the countertops. You can restore the matte finish and remove the surface scratches by polishing your countertop with a green 3M pad. You should never use an abrasive cleaner on your solid surface countertop. Dishwashing liquid or other non abrasive cleaner is recommended.

Hope this helps ya.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:31 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
After going through all the papers that came with the trailer, I found the small sheet that tells how to care for the countertop and of course you are correct about the green Scotch Brite pad. If it is the cooking oils and hand oils causing the blotchiness, I can understand why dishwashing liquid would cut the grease and keep it cleaner looking. I was using antibacterial wipes I had for my kitchen counters at home. I have a green pad at home and will take the cover off the sink and try to get the scratches out of it followed by sandaper if need be.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I think I would try some of the pink gel gloss you get at CW. It did a great job on our tops at work. I think Home Depot sells it too. Good luck
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:16 PM   #10
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Toolmanroy

Please do not use sandpaper on your countertops. The green 3M pad will polish out the countertops just fine. The sandpaper(even very fine) is too abrasive.

Good Luck
Old 07-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks all!! Our packet of info did not include anything on countertops so we are happy to have your input. We were just swabbing them down with a sponge and dish detergent and wiping down w/ a towel. GREEN SCOTCH BRITE PAD--we assume that we should be able to buy this at our local Wal-Mart correct?? It will have to work pretty hard to fix the sink covers though. Thanks again!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #12
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Information from the manufacturer said to use very fine sandpaper, gave the number and instructions. We will try try the green Scotch Brite first, of course. The counters are fine. It is the sink covers that are scratched. If you want me to copy the instructions I would be happy to do so but it is back in the packet in the trailer at the moment.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:43 PM   #13
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks all for the information. I will use these ideas in the future..Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:41 PM   #14
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Try and Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It's mildly abrasive and is amazing at cleaning many things. You can get them in most grocery stores and Walmart's. I love them!

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #15
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I already have them in the trailer. They truly are magic! They really take stains out of carpets without much trouble. They sure do disappear fast. I use them on my kitchen counters at home and they take out stains better than bleach. I had not tried one I had in the trailer. I will let you know how it works.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:32 AM   #16
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for the suggestions of Mr Clean Magic Eraser and green Scotch Brite pads. Off to Wal-MArt this morning. Paying in advance for any emergency over-nites.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:23 AM   #17
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
will using these products make the countertops shine? the finish on our countertops is dull. you can wipe them down with a wet rag & they look great until they dry.
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 05:30 AM   #18
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Welcome to the forum!! Nice to have you with us. Earlier posts said the counters are supposed to have a matte (flat) finish and these products will take out scratches and even off the finish. If you want shiney you have to go the Pledge route which will be an applied shine not a permanent one. Good luck and happy travels!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:41 AM   #19
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
If you want a shine on your solid surface countertops try WD40. Believe it or not, it works. The reason you don't want to use regular sandpaper is to avoid "cupping" similar to butcher block countertops in butcher shops. The green 3M or Scotchbrite pads are very mildly abrasive and will polish out the scratches.

Most comments indicate that the scratches are on the sink covers. This implies that the sink covers are being used as cutting boards. You really should not use the sink covers as cutting boards. A knife will cut into the solid surface much deeper than a simple scratch and removing them could result in cupping. I suggest either a maple cutting board or one of the glass/acrylic cutting boards. This will keep your sink covers looking great. I know the marketing people show the covers being used as cutting boards but if you check with the manufacturer it's really not recommended.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:43 AM   #20
Montana_1600
Established Member

M.O.C. #1600
I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing problems with their counter tops looking splotchy. Are the 3 M Green Pads the ones that have an abrasive side and a sponge side, or am I thinking of the wrong pad.

I can hardly wait to try it out on my counter tops. Unfortunately, we have to park our trailer quite a ways from our home since we live in a condo. We are going out this weekend and I can try this out.

Again, thanks for the input.

Ted & Jackie Cooley
2004 2955RL Montana
2004 Dodge 3500
Montana_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote