Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
It doesn’t get any worse than this trip

We were pretty excited about our planned weekend trip to Rehoboth Beach Delaware. It sounded like a nice camp ground just 9 miles from the beach (Holly Lake Camp Sites). The person that registered us said it was a premier sites with full hookups (no cable), 50 amp service, pull though that would accommodate a 40’ unit with multiple slides for $50 a night. We were also told that they prefer the rustic look, dirt roads and wooded lots. It still sounded great to me.

NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STORY- When we arrived we found the roads to be the worst we’ve ever encountered in a campground. Wash outs, huge pot holes and ditches, if you drove over 5 MPH your head would hit the roof of the truck. Tree branches below 10’ on both sides of the road. We eventually found our site number 1084 or at least we found the sign. It was so overgrown I had to get the electric chain saw out and take down several large bushes and trim back all the trees. Sherry & I looked like a Tree surgeon company. We were very careful choosing a path so not to drive into the deep ruts that ran though the site. My gut said leave, but we just drove 4 hours so we wanted to make the best of it.

NOW FOR THE END OF THE STORY- Of course it rained both evenings so now our site is a mosquito breeding swamp. Slick mud and standing water everywhere, basically a yucky mess. I drudged through packing up. Hooked up the fifth wheel, tested to make sure it was connected, put the truck in 4 wheel drive and started to pull out. When the trailer tires came off the 2X10 I placed under them, the truck sank into the mud on the passenger side, the camper sank up to the rims on the drivers side, I thought the camper was going to tip over but instead when it hit the bed of the truck it popped out the hitch and crushed the truck bed.

I will say the dodge bed is mighty tuff.
I jacked it up, reconnected, and attempted to dig her out but with no avail.
One of the seasonal renters told us that there hasn’t been anyone on that site for over 2 years.
Eventually the campground brought in a 4 wheel drive farm tracker and pulled us out.

Kept my cool today but I’m sure I will go ballistic tomorrow when reality sets in.

Sorry for the long post.

Ed

Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
OMG!

I do hope you contact a lawyer about that miserable experience.

That campground should be banned from all folks' "To Do" lists.

I guess some of it could be attributed to all the rain the east has had lately. But such conditions should be known by the owners, and all travelers warned before having that sort of dismal experience.

Sheesh!
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
That's terrible, you wonder how someone could take your money with a clear conscience.
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Was that Big Oaks Family Campgrounds or Deleware Seashore? I want to make sure they get on my Do Not Stay Here list.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We are so sorry to hear about the damages. Everything is repairable (I know from first hand experience!).

What type of hitch do you have? The kingpin popped out?

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
That's my question also. If you were properly connected how do it pop out?
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Ed, what a bad experience on your maiden voyage.Hope all is well with the Monty and the CG owners gets your repair bill for the truck. Good to hear that nobody got hurt.
The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:29 AM   #8
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
I locked the controller and tried to pull forward before I raised the front legs as I always do to check the connection. I neglected to do a visual inspection because of conditions. There was 3” of muddy water with a nest of black hornets (mud daubers) swarming around the tail gate. I pulled forward about 5’ when the truck and trailer twisted hard enough for the trailer to hit the truck bed before it popped loose and landed on the drivers side bed rail. The truck passenger side only has a scuff mark. I still haven’t unhitched to inspect the pin box or hitch for damage. It’s a new 25K Husky. It got us home OK but you can bet it will be taken apart to look for any stressed or damaged parts.

Right now I’m staring into a coffee cup with a sick feeling in my gut, trying to muster enough energy to go out and assess both the truck and camper damage before I call the insurance company.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:29 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Wow - this would be upsetting. Talk to campground owner while your there and see if they are willing to reimburse you for any expenses.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Good Luck getting everything repaired. That CG should not be allowed to charge anything for a site like that.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:54 AM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
$50.00 per day, it should have come with a PEDICURE don't you think??? I would say it would also be a great time to look into A BED SAVER.. I really am sorry for all your troubles and I along with everyone else appreciate your LONG POST. That is what make's this forum so great. Now you not only informed us of your SAGA, but also alerted everyone about the campground. By posting this story, so saved many fellow MOC members and their familys a lot of grief and DENTS.
Thank you for your post. Safe Travels John H.
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
That one rates as one of the worst weekends reported. YUCK! So sorry for you. Let us know bout the outcome, and I surely would be reporting this to authorities and a LONG letter with photos would go to the campground and the Better Business Bureau and maybe the Attorney General of the state.

Good luck, let us hear from ya.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:52 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That is BAD, no doubt about that, but hey, you got home OK, and anything that got damaged can be fixed. Discouraging? Yes, but it could have been worse.

You could go after the campground etc, etc; but it would just prolong your agony. Leave that stuff to the insurance company. Concentrate on better things, like your next trip!

Sorry you had such a rotten experience though, and thanks for sharing it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:46 AM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Next time I would have to have left that place, scary story. Did it hurt your camper any?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:16 AM   #15
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Thanks everyone for your support. I needed someone to vent too and I knew I could count on you. I certainly learned quite a few lessons on this one.

1. The Monty’s not a pop-up. Be very selective when choosing a camp ground.
2. Don’t believe what they tell you over the phone.
3. If you don’t feel comfortable, LEAVE.
4. Triple check your hookup when sitting on unstable ground.
5. A 4 wheel drive pickup will not pull a Monty out of the Mud.

I guess I should look into a bed saver. I never thought this could happen to me. I don’t know how I got away with the small amount of damage as I did. I saw this happen once to a guy at a Georgia campground. His Ford bed was crushed. They had to haul it away on a low boy.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #16
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Damage to the Monty is just cosmetic. The rubber trim piece between the end cap and underside material is scuffed and torn. Call the dealer and he said worst case it would cost $200 to fix.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #17
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Is that campground listed in Trailer Life Directory? If so, I would report it to them. Also might try getting your money back from the campground, and like Carol says, reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and Attorney General couldn't hurt either. Sounds like gross misrepresentation on the campground's part.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nobody every thinks they need a Bedsaver. We learned the hard way and now will never be without one. Some guys at an RV dealership said Dodge has the strongest truck beds, but don't tell the other guys, OK?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Gee, here I sit feeling sorry for us because we are in a lousy campground until Wed. but your experience certainly beats ours. I hope everything gets fixed. It sure sounds like your hitch or/and kingpin may be damaged.
Happy trails.................................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #20
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Update:
Did a detailed inspection of the roof because of all the low tree branches, found four tears, all three plumbing vent caps are broke off and missing and the vent covers and AC cover have deep scratches.

I will never ever enter a wooded park without walking it first.

Ed