Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Ronald
Established Member

M.O.C. #2309
GPS on a Laptop

Hi
We are inquiring if anyone has what we are looking at. We have a Gateway W730 K8X laptop and are looking at getting the microsoft GPS to use with it.
I still drive truck part time and we have a 5 th Wheel (Montana Mountaineer) with a Dodge pick and hope to do some traveling soon with the 5th wheel.
Does anybody know how this will work for us.
Or can anyone recommend a better GPS to fit the laptop.
Thank's for any information gave.
From Central WI

Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I use a Garmin GPS without the laptop but there are several folks on the MOC that use a laptop with GPS software. One in particular is Steve Reigle. He should be along shortly and provide information about his setup.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
We use Delorme's and would not travel wiyhout it. Never lost and it's wonderfull in big cities that you don't have a clue on how to get to different places. The best part is $99. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We also use delorme. Have had it for two years. Although we do not travel that extensively. Still nice to have for some campground finding
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
biff

M.O.C. #5040
Ronald
The Streets and Trips program is a very good mapping program, one of the best on the market, it also has Canada and Mexico. The GPS antenna that comes with it is rather bottom of the line later technology. Get yourself a Globalstat BT-338 antenna (do a Google search) it uses the SiRF Star III technology which is the latest and greatest, Bluetooth and the battery lasts about 17 hours before recharge, if your Laptop does not have Bluetooth built in then you will need a Bluetooth Dongle (about $50) so that the computer and BT-338 can communicate with each other, the Dongle plugs into the USB port. Bluetooth is a radio frequency wireless technology that is good for only about 75 feet, beyond that you lose connection. I have this setup and it works great.

biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Ron & Ann,

We Have Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 W/GPS got it last year and love it. My wife and I play around with our Computors all the time, so this was a natural. The program with GPS was only $139.00 Can. It was a lot cheaper than going out and buying a whole new hardware system to use for electronic mapping. The program works fast on our laptops, but like any other it comes with a few little errors, stretts in the wrong places, etc, I would guess mostly human imput mistakes. Over all it's great, wouldn't leave home with out it. In fact this year Santa broght Me Streets & Trips 2006, This one is even better, It is voice prompted, lets you know when your turns are coming up, etc. I've only tried it out around the neihborhood but I think it wiil be a lot of fun. These programs take a fairly good computor to run them, just check the Package to see if your computor meets the requirements.

Take care
John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I have a new gateway laptop just for traveling, I also got a Delorme all for Christmas. tried it today and for the life of me, I could not get the screen on the laptop, where I could see it. With all the glare coming in the windows, I don't know how you would see the screen long enough to operate it. Unless you travel at night. Maybe someone canhelp me also on this thread. I feel I just wasted $99 bucks on this Delorme program.... John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
John. With street atlas you can change the contrast by going to the options in the tool bar at the top. Click on display in the options and then click on map colors. Set to high contrast colors. That will work in the daytime. Steve Reigle should be around soon and he can make sure I have it right. He uses it a lot more than I do.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
My gateway has a Function button that allows brightness to be adjusted, F7 and F8.

Al and I use Garmin and Microsoft street and trips on the Gateway. We find we need both. S & T voice is hard to hear unless you use a set of headphones. Garmin has FAR superior voice commands, as far as the turns coming up, etc. M S & T has better screens, names of streets and stuff show up better cause you have a nice big computer screen. They both seem to use the same uncle sam government maps, not perfect but pretty good till they add a new exit to the xpressway or something. OH, and we still have lots of paper maps in GMC too.

This subject has been discussed a number of times here, go look at the archives and do searches, long detailed discussions and pros and cons are here on the forum, you will get an education.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the garman GPS-18 hooked up to a HP laptop using the Garmin N route Software.It serves us well. They all do a good job and each software will do something the other one does not. Pick one that suits you learn to use it and you will be OK. I don't know what to tell you hemlockusa we never had a problem with seeing the laptop screen and we have the widescreen HP. Of course I rarely use it..never did learn how to use the software..That is Helen's job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I use the Garmin GPS60C because I use it for hunting and fishing as well as navigating the Monty. I connect it into my HP laptop using Delorme Street Atlas 6.0. A new GPS, the Garmin Quest II has some nice new advantages if you travel in large cities. It comes with the Garmin City Select software. In addition, you can load personal databases that include things like low bridges, traffic cameras, school speed zones, etc. In addition, it accepts the fm signal from the traffic reports and will automatically reroute you around accidents and traffic jams in cities like Chicago that have this service available. It requires an additional antenna I believe. If you are using GPS with mapping software, as long as its 12 channel, you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to use it as a standalone, the Garmins have been known for reliability and intuitive interfaces for years. I have my third Garmin. Resort owner in Canada bought my first one and the second one still works great, just doesn't have the internal mapping capability. Here is the link - http://www.garmin.com/products/quest2/
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Ronald,

We have been using MS Streets & Trips with the USB GPS for a couple of years and really enjoy it. I recently upgraded to the 2006 version. I like the voice commands but they are too low (You can just hit the space bar and it will repeat the last directions for you). I will be adding an amplified speaker to the setup so that I can hear it better. As far as screen brightness I adjust mine with the function keys on the laptop.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use the DeLorme and love it and loved the price. In the program setup under options, display - there is an option for high-contrast. Specially for using a laptop in a vehicle. Works really well. We have not had the need to add anything to this set up using our Compaq laptop other than purchasing a microphone so we can talk to it which I don't use much. We already had an inverter to plug the computer into to use with the 12v plug in the truck. I can set the trip up on my desktop and then transfer to laptop. Also you can download other information like Wal-Marts, Flying J's, low clearances, etc.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #14
wcarneal

M.O.C. #3448
We also use the Microsoft Streets and Maps. With the same problem of not being able to hear it (getting old I guess). I found this USB adaptor on e-bay (great place) called HiFast Wireless USB Audio. It plugs into a USB port and sends your laptop misic or whatever to any FM radio. It works great cause Vicki and I don't listen to much music when we travel. It comes from HiFast out of Canada.
wcarneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I have Holux 210USB GPS which we use with a laptop and Street Atlas or Streets and Trips, Wouldn't travel with out it.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #16
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We are using ALK's Copilot Live 9 on our laptop and love it. I think it was originally designed for truckers but they now market to the regular consumer. It has an RV option which will help avoid sharp turns and highway bridges under 12'6". It has a few flaws here and there but for the most part works great. It is loaded with voice features and can even handle real time messaging and remote tracking. I think it cost about $300 for the original license and software.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #17
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Ron, We use our Garmin GPS60CS. We have the Garmin GPS18 USB receiver to use with our laptop. We do our plans on the laptop and download them to the 60CS handheld. Found that the laptop in the cab was just a big pain in the a#s and prefer to use a moble unit that is significanlty more feature rich. The laptop with the receiver is definately a low cost option.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:10 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I used the Delorme Street Atlas for Mac for years (without GPS) and it worked great. We will get the PC version shortly (w/ GPS).

Biff, I love your setup with Bluetooth. I will definitely go with this. I will check on that Sat antenna.

Rame14, I have never used a GPS yet, although I have used Street Atlas for years. I was not aware that you could pair another GPS with your laptop.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:15 AM   #19
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
OK - Looks like I will have to BUY THE BEVERAGES and get with Al (countryGuy) Rich and Steve. Have a meeting and get this darn screen set up right...... I really didn't think my eye's were that bad.

I guess that is what is so nice about the forum. No one really tell's you you DUMB out loud.... ho ho ho '
See you all in the VAlley SOON
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

OK - Looks like I will have to BUY THE BEVERAGES and get with Al (countryGuy) Rich and Steve. Have a meeting and get this darn screen set up right...... I really didn't think my eye's were that bad.

I guess that is what is so nice about the forum. No one really tell's you you DUMB out loud.... ho ho ho '
See you all in the VAlley SOON
We'd all have to look in the mirror first, Don, before any of us opened our mouths to condemn. For some of us (speaking for myself) that would be very painful.

Glad to have you aboard. You will be a blessing to others who will follow.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote