Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
GPS Help

I bought Earthmate GPS and loaded the Street Atlas 2006. I've been playing with it. I don't believe I'm computer challenged but I can't find out how to change the route it says to take. We have our own special way of getting out of town and on the Interstate. It mapped out the route to the rally and I don't like it. How do I change it? I've read all the previous posts about GPS and didn't find the answer.
Happy trails...................wherever this thing takes me.

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
how 'bout straight up 395? You probably want to right click on a point and "add via", then the program will go that way, or include that point in it's route.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Yes, Sharon, that is the way we planned on going. We go 395 to 58 all the time to go to Northern California as it is a better route than the Grapevine. But I can't get it to go I-15 to 395 and stay on 395. I will keep trying.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I believe you right click on the route in the pull down select "Create Route" and select "Via"
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:07 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Although I haven't looked at the 2006 version, I suspect that it's similar enough for this comment to apply. There are two types of VIAs, one Insert and one Add. Try using the Insert Via, which should force an entirely new route rather than generating a side trip. The Help screens actually explain this function pretty well, and I occasionally have to go back to them because I don't use it often enough.

The default route preferences seem to work pretty well (they're in the Route tab, in the Advanced section), but it might be a good idea to check them to see if something unusual got set.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Sounds like you need more brain cells at your disposal than what I have. I will stick to a map and enjoy the scenery and leave my GPS in the boat.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
A further comment on Firetrucker's post -- If you use "insert" the via or stop will be put in geographical order, but if you use "add" the via or stop will be routed in the order in which you add them. Marilyn and Bruce
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I have found the 2006 version the best they came up with, add the way points and it will follow.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
The 2006 Delorme Street Atlas has a new route avoidance feature. If it is selecting a road that you don't like use the route avoidance portion of the draw function to block that road.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Occasionally, 'insert via' will guess wrong about the sequence to insert the via.In that case you can go to route/advanced and resequence the vias right there. You also can convert a via to a stop and can indicate whether a stop is an overnight stop, a fuel stop, or specify the duration (if you care about the times it projects - i don't). I use the overnight stop because it then creates segments for the trip and shows mileage separately for each as well as overall mileage. I ignore the time projections.

Maybe those of us using SA can compare notes at the rally.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Steve,
I'm counting on it. There are a lot of GPSers out there so we could have a tip sharing session. I think one of my problems is the map isn't showing a connection that has been in place for the past 5 or 6 years.
See you soon.
Happy trails......................
Old 09-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, that is a general fault of every GPS map I've seen including SA, S&T, and others. They're all behind on the maps. You can draw in the segment if you want to but it can be tricky sometimes. And connecting to interstates doesn't seem to work well most of the time. Our old neighborhood was wrong, all wrong, but was the same (wrong) on the official city paper maps, too. So I drew in the streets in SA and that fixed that. I'm not an expert on that but fuddled my way through it. Those software use mostly govt maps so if they're wrong.... Plus I don't think they're fully current anyhow.

Sometimes when I know the area I'll just ignore the gps for that part of the drive and go the way I know is best.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
That is what Ed suggested to me since we know how to get out of our own area. So I may try that and start us at the point after the map won't work. I had this same problem with maps I purchased from the government for bus routing. I spent hours drawing in the streets we needed and getting the addresses correct. Very, very tedious. I also am wondering if I have to set the end point when I first start to create the route. I'm going to try today to create as I go and not put the end in until further along.
Happy trails.................
Old 09-14-2005, 05:40 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You can put in the end point later but you can't calculate the route until you do. At least I don't think it will calculate. Will have to try that. What I often do when I know what city I want to stop at but don't know the CG yet is I'll just put the end in the middle of the highway at that town. When I figure out which CG I want I'll do the END again. It will just delete the old end and replace it with the new. Same with Start. Sometimes I'll plan the next segment before I even know what CG we'll start in. I just put the start in the middle of the highway and later put in Start again. For start it will ask if you want to move the start or are you starting a new route. Choose move. This way I can calculate the route and see the distance even though it may be off a couple of miles because I don't yet know the exact end point.

Nope. Won't calculate until you have a start and an end. So you could just fake one or both of those.

Sue, I also turned off auto calculate so it will not recalculate until I click the calculate button. Auto calculate just forces me to wait for it to recalculate after every change I make and I don't like that.

I also turned off the auto back on track option. That's a great option for when I go off route to stop at walmart or something. It shows me how to get back on my route. However, the max distance you can be "off route" before it recalculates to get you back on track is 200 yards (that's a settable option). There are too many highways on the map where the map is off by that much or more and it's always trying to recalculate. This is on SA2005. Prior versions didn't have the auto back on track.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the auto back on track setting for how far off you can be before it decides you are off course and recalculates -- this is IF you have auto back on track turned on. -- I emailed DeLorme. The options on the drop down box only goes to something like 500 feet. that's not far enough for me. What they told me that I did not know is that I don't have to choose one of those items. I can type in whatever distance I want and it will take it. I tried it and it works. I typed in 1500 ft. Now it won't tell me I'm off route until I'm at least that far off. So highways can now be a little bit off from reality and it won't keep on recalculating the route. Thanks to DeLorme for the excellent reply.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 AM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Thanks Steve. I'm learning more everyday. There are a lot of places to set up things. I found that one and set it to 1500. If that doesn't work, I'll go to 2000. Glad you put the Minden temp in your signature so we can watch. Are you on WiFi?
Happy trails................
Old 09-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Technically we're on wifi. In this case it means we connect to HamRad's router next door by wireless. His router is connected to his Direcway two-way internet system. And the price is right! Pretty nice, huh? It's great to have good friends next door willing to share what they are paying for.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Nuts, I wanted to know how the parks WiFi is. I don't want to bring my DirecWay with us just for one week if the park's WiFi works.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sue,
You and all MOCERS are welcome to use our wifi setup. Of course it would be nice to have yours here too. That would give even more access.

The park's system does work but it is up and down a lot based on what some park residents have reported. And the cost is expensive based on short term usage. The monthly rate is not too bad. $29 for a month. OR $4.95 for 4 hours. That is a straight consecutive 4 hours.... not 4 hours of computer usage.

Sue we are getting excited waiting as folks start arriving. As you know Steve and Vicki are now on site. In addition Rex and Mary have been here for a couple of weeks. In addition there are at least 10 other Montanas and Mountaineers already in the park. We are, of course, inviting all of them to join us at the Rally.

See you soon. By the way the weather has been almost perfect..... sure hope it holds. But even if it snows and freezes it will still be a GREAT rally! It's all part of the great adventure.

Later..... HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:30 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I want to be HamRad's neighbor, too. I'm using my "neighbor's" WiFi here at Fort Lewis, Washington, I think. I'm connected to "default" so who knows who that is. Maybe someone nice enough to share. I see a Direcway setup a couple of sites away.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote