Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
So much to do; so little time

Storing the Montana poses some logistical problems. I am seeking advice and counsel for storing. My storage site will be under a roof with open sides. The area is well shaded with little exposure to the sun. Some thoughts for storage include:
1. Removing the wheels and leaving the Montana on jack stands or blocks and storing the wheels indoors with reduced pressure.
2. Completely draining and flushing all tanks. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. You Northern folk do the antifreeze thing. Would that be better?
3. How does one store a battery long term or is it an item I should just give away?
4. Since the house will be sold, we were going to load the Monty and park it. I am concerned about the invasion of vermin who might nest in the contents. Any affirmations or alternative thoughts?
5. Identifying any other issues that I may need to address will be appreciated.

My time is excruciatingly short with a mountain of things to finalize. This is sort of like being shoved out of an airplane with a parachute on. You really need to find the "D" ring soon.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Stiles,
I am not sure these are correct but our unit was in storage for a 10 months and is on its second year after our May R&R trip. I believe your going to be gone 18 months so that has a bearing on how you store your unit. Here is my opinion.

I blow out the water lines and then add antifreeze. I do not want bacteria etc building in the lines and figure with antifreeze there is less chance. I leave the lines with a little pressure on them but not full 60 pounds. I drain the fresh water tank completely. Remember to blow out the black tank flush unit.

Definitely use a check list and take it with you over seas. When you get there your going to say did I do this? With the check list you will have the piece of mind you did. Been there, didn't do that, and worried until my sister double checked for me.

I add antifreeze to the drain traps and also in the holding tanks.

Now storage of stuff in the trailer. I believe vacuum seal is best but have not done that. I do use tupper ware like tubs to store clothes etc. My belief is to seal it so it is harder for critters and "bugs" to get in.

I put "Bay leaf" in all the drawers, closets and tubs. Someone told me that and think it was here. When I was stocking up I mentioned using them and a lady in front of us mentioned she used them to get ride of bugs in their meal, only way that worked. Last year we had no problems with critters and our unit is stored up state NY. Ann does not like mothballs but that is another option.

I take the pressure off the tires with four jack stands. Last year I put them under the axles where the springs bolt on. This year I put the jack stands in front and behind the tires on the frame. I noticed the high side stands had no pressure on them so I had to adjust the height of the front landing legs to distribute the weight. I leave the tires on and at 80 lbs pressure. My tires are covered from sun but our rig is in a pole barn and then the RV cover over for Pigeon droppings.

Battery - It needs to be charged about every three months. If you can not store it with someone who will do that then probably replace when you come home.

Turn off both propane tanks.

Remember to pull all small batteries out of your clocks, detectors and door bells (yes we have one that plays the USMC Hymn - well part of it).

I hope this helps. Make a list and check it twice. I know your feelings about being rushed. As I stated we moved quickly too.

Best of luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also add a little antifreeze to the toilet bowl even if no water standing there. You want to keep the seal from drying out and the antifreeze will not evaporate. I'd recommend this even if you do not antifreeze the water lines.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stiles,

I cannot help you a lot here, but would encourage you to winterize the unit. Even as warm as Texas is, there can be some pretty cool nights,and why take the chance. We figure we are good to about 28 at night without freezing, AS LONG as that is only for a couple of hours. But, we also store out in the open where the sun can hit and warm it up quickly.

My map program puts you near Houston, Sorry, I cannot remember if that is correct or not from your prior posts, but if it is, then I would encourage strongly the winterizing process.

John's suggestions all sound very good! We know he came home in May and took the unit out for a couple of weeks, sounds like he did not have any major trouble. So, what he did had to work.

I personally think I would pitch all food products, and start fresh when you come back in 18 months.

Good luck, take a deep breath, you will get through this with HIS help!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:38 AM   #5
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Stiles, buying a 2 amp "trickle" charger for your battery would be a good investment. I use one on my boat battery during the winter. It has worked great. I charge my battery fully and leave it on the trickle charger.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:22 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
All above are good suggestions:

Remove all food

Remove all batteries

Leave the refrigerator door open

Blow out the water lines

Adding RV antifreeze to all the holding tanks / traps and
toilet will keep your seals wet/lubricated

Take the weight off the tires and covering them

Keeping the unit under roof and if possible cover the sides.
I've seen some folks in the East use a plastic wrap that you can
get at HD or Lowes and completely wrap the unit (Like they
do with boat winterizing). This type of wrap /covering will
not blow in the wind and avoids rubbing and abrasion type damage
to the exterior that you can get from a loose type cover.

Remove battery and plan on recharging once your back home - Good
luck as this is a long time but perhaps the battery will survive.

Add to all the storage areas and place within the trailer fabric
softening sheets, moth balls and mice poison.This will
discourage all the spiders and mouse type creatures.

Place charcoal or cat litter inside the unit to absorb moisture
and keep it smelling fresh thus eliminating that mildew smell.

Leave a small amount of fresh air ventilation

Plan on sanitizing the water system when you get back.

Good-Luck!
Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Stiles, if you want to blow out the lines you can get a fitting from an RV Dealer for the city water connection point that will allow you to use a compressor with air chuck to blow out the lines. First, drain the water heater and the low point drains. When I used to do this I tried to limit air pressure to 25 or 30 psi. I once did considerably more and blew out the one-way valve in that city water connection. I didn't realize it until the next spring when water came flying back out that valve whenever I used the water pump. Come to think of it, I've seen those air fittings at a number of Walmarts, in the RV section. Not all, but many.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote