Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Winterization Questions

I very carefully pressurized the system with about 20 psi and removed some water from the system. Opened all low point drains. Drained hot water tank, removed anode rod and closed the by pass valve. Started to pump RV antifreeze to the furtherest point, both hot and cold sides. Shower, vanity, outside shower and finally toilet. Looked at the low point hot/cold and they looked nice and pink, so I was happy. Looked at all the lines and you can see a nice dark pink color. Except that on our 2955 I see two lines that have no RV antifreeze in them? One goes up toward the outside shower and back across toward the water pump area. The other one seems to come over from the pump and goes down through the floor and out some place.

Should I put some RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank and pump it in? Any idea what I missed?

Also, do you put any RV antifreeze in the hot water tank, is it good or bad for it?

Thanks for your help, I want the new Monty to survive our cold northern Wisconsin winter!

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
No you don't put anti-freeze in water-heater. DIthink that you have it right. I have never put any in freah water tank.just pumped it from jug,until it showed pink at all outlets. Hope this helps.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:56 AM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Sounds like you have all the bases covered. In fact, you have done an outstanding job. The fresh water take is good as long as it is has been drained.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
Bob, it sounds like you have things pretty well in hand. There are just two other thins that I do that you didn't"t. I have a hand pump that i pump antifreeze in through the city water inlet to winterize from the check valve to where the water line intersects with the line from the 12v pump. I also pump anti freeze into the black water flush system to get anti freeze from the outside connection to the check valve under the bathroom sink. These two steps may or may not be necessary but they give me peace of mind.
Marshall,
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
HPRUM2000
Established Member

M.O.C. #931
Hi rkassi we have a 2002 29.55 new to us in 02.I noticed the same thing with no anti freeze in lines.Called R.V Teck where we bought he said they are lines from fresh water tank ,which they are havn,t had any problems in 3yrs of winterizing.
welcome and happy camping.Jane +guy Mike Harvey
hprum 2000- 02 29.55rl 03f350fx4crew cab
HPRUM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds to me like you've about covered everything. It's a good idea to do that valve on the fresh water intake connection as Marshall mentioned. His method sounds like a good way to do it but I never thought of that. I just removed the screen on the intake and pushed the little white button to let the water out. Stand to the side if you do this. It is under pressure. The two times I did not do this the o-ring was pushed out of the valve when it froze and the valve would no longer work. Once I was able to get the o-ring back in place after a lot of difficult maneuvering with a very small screwdrive. The other time I had to replace the whole valve.

I assume you poured a little antifreeze down each trap including the shower and poured a little in the toilet bowl to keep the seal from drying out. The traps probably already have antifreeze from your antifreezing process but I always poured a little more in them just in case. Probably not needed. You do need it in the toilet bowl, though, or you'll likely have to replace the seal in the spring.

You don't need antifreeze in the water heater or the fresh water tank. What little water remains there has plenty of room to expand when it freezes. If you put some in anyhow, it won't hurt anything. RV antifreeze is nontoxic. It is just pyschologically repulsive to me to drink pink water in the spring.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote