Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #21
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
If you haven't already done so, check out the thread I started labeled "Sometimes I Love My Job" to see what the L.A. Harbor Dept is doing for the Port of New Orleans. The rig should be there Monday evening.

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:44 AM   #22
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Anyone have any idea how many 5ers are being sent south to aid Katrina victims? A noble cause... just wondering if there will be any effect on dealer stocks? If the government is buying all these up, it makes it a little difficult to 1) even find the unit you want to buy and 2) it seems your bargaining power just went out the window, especially if the gov is buying them up as fast as someone like Keystone can make them.

Someone please tell me my logic is all wet. Also, the possible good news is that next spring or summer, when the gulf folks start moving back into permanent homes, there could be some really GREAT deals on used Montanas... if they are not totally trashed, which could be a possiblility.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:46 AM   #23
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Anyone have any idea how many 5ers are being sent south to aid Katrina victims? A noble cause... just wondering if there will be any effect on dealer stocks? If the government is buying all these up, it makes it a little difficult to 1) even find the unit you want to buy and 2) it seems your bargaining power just went out the window, especially if the gov is buying them up as fast as someone like Keystone can make them.

Someone please tell me my logic is all wet. Also, the possible good news is that next spring or summer, when the gulf folks start moving back into permanent homes, there could be some really GREAT deals on used Montanas... if they are not totally trashed, which could be a possiblility.
I went to haul some of these and was told there was going to be 3/4 of a million trailers. I have seen several thousand so far.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Darrell, not too many of those seem to be fivers, though, is that correct? Also, I believe you, or someone else, mentioned that these are not "high end" RVs.

Wow! 3/4 million rvs??? This should be a boon to RV manufacturers and a real help to those who need a roof over their head. Hope Rita doesn't take out Galveston... how fast can these manufacturers get these units produced? These people have to live somewhere.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think in the short term they are looking for just about any shelter they can find.However they seem to be looking at Manufactured homes.Single wide and double wides that are intended for permanent residence as we all know recreational vehicles are not designed as permanent residence.You may have seen on the news or internet that FEMA is putting out bids to several such manufactures. Don't think the Rv industry will get a lot of FEMA business in the long run.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
There was a big article in our morning paper about Fleetwood (based in Riverside) and Forest River making FEMA trailers. Forest River has a plant here also. We have noticed Help Wanted ads at all the manufacturers here. It looks like they are working 24/7. Forest River did say they will stop in November and catch up on private orders and then go back to the FEMA order.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #27
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
No i did not see any 5vers on lot but i did see one in a state park all ready set up and ready for someone to live in. All the ones i saw were the lower in models of all manufactors.