Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2005, 06:18 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Update, cell phones and Internet in Alaska

This is what we have experienced on our trip. In Canada, we had to use a phone card to call home. They can be purchased at Walmart and, probably, most grocery stores, etc. We also went to Internet Cafes to use the internet or visited the Visitors Centers to check our email. Once in a while we were able to get on an open wireless connection but they were scarce. When we got to Fairbanks, my Verizon phone had a great connection. Wireless is available from some of the larger hotels. In Anchorage, both Verizon and Cingular phones worked and we were able to get on open wireless connections. Here in Valdez, Cingular is the only connection available and we have WiFi in the campground.

The biggest surprise is that we have not been able to get voice messages off our Cingular phone while in Alaska. We even talked to Cingular about it. The reason for the problem is because we're on a different carrier up here. We also have not been able to connect to the internet via our Verizon phone because we're on the third party carrier.

Overall, we've only had to wait for an internet connection of some sort when we were in the Yukon, so connections to home have been pretty good. Just thought you'd want to know.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, I'm amazed at how much you have been able to get on the internet. It is good to know. By next year it might even be better for us. Keep the news coming. I'm printing everything.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I've been very pleased with our connectivity, too, Helen. It makes traveling so far away from home, emotionally easier as I like to stay in touch. The one thing we don't like is the fact that we have 14 voice messages on our Cingular phone that we can't access. Our Verizon phone has usually had the best connection, but not here in Valdez.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Judy,
Isn't there a land based phone number you can call to get your messages? Seems to me my daughter told me something like that. Of course I have Verizon not Cingular. Check with someone from Cingular and see it there is such a thing. Sorry I don't have any better information.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, that's a good idea, Dennis. We may have to check it out.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You can call your cell phone from any land based phone, press # when the message comes on, enter your pin # and should be able to get your messages. This worked when we had ATT (now Cingular) and it works with Verizon. I had to do this a lot when we had ATT because we couldn't get service where we were.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I guess our first problem is that we don't have a pin number. Need to work on that. We're heading for the boonies today and we won't have to worry about any telephone connections....'cause there won't be any! It was a beautiful, sunny 49' in Valdez this morning.