Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Truck Tool Vee box ? Anyone use one?

I been checking the price of tool boxes and tail gates. I think a good value would be to get a Vbox tool box for the back of my truck. Just wonder if anyone is using one or any comments about them. I have had a high profile tool box before getting the 5th wheel, but its too high to use now. I look at the Tractor Suppy Company on line store but didn't see any that they sold. Anyone know if you can order one through them. I know that it will add some weight to my TV, but I really need a tool box.

Thanks for any comments....

Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not sure but I seem to recall seeing one on display at the Haines City, FL Tractor Supply. This was last spring when a friend was also looking at the V box. You might give them a call at (863) 419-2889

I have only ever seen one in a truck but didn't get to speak to the owner. He had removed the tailgate and the box was bolted fast that it actually protruded into the area where the gate would have been.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This may be a dumb question, but have you looked at the low profile diamond boxes? Mine only sticks up about an inch above the side rail. I have also seen boxes looking to be about 6 to 8 inches deep to be bolted across the bed at the tailgate. Hope you find an acceptable solution.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Thanks for you response Stiles, I have looked at the low profile boxes but just got to thinking (which is dangerous for me) that maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. I could get a tail gate and a tool box cheaper than I could buy both. Maybe this is not the case as I have not found any real cheap ones, costwise, on the internet. I was hoping for one around 500 dollars.

I will call Tractor Supply tomorrow and see what they have. If I go this route I have got to move my brake and light plug, I had it installed on the side of the bed near my tail gate and a box would cover it up.

I did install the digital thermostat yesterday for my heater and A/C. Really good stuff on this forum.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!! We did here. It was year ago yesterday that we were on a camping trip here in Fla and decided to buy a place and move here. We completed the move in March of last year. We love it here.

Again thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I got my between the rails box at Lowes. Just $188.00

Truck Tool Box
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I got to try out my new Hunter digital this holiday too. It performed as proclaimed by others. It maintained a more even temperature. I sure liked the ease of operation.

BTW, I have no idea how much a diamond box cost because I inherited mine with the truck I purchased.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I have the Truck Trunk with the sliding top on the front and the v-box in the rear. They are not cheap, but they are real nice.

http://www.trucktrunk.com/

c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't have the V-toolbox but do have a low profile crossbed metal toolbox that I bought at Tractor Supply. It sits maybe an inch below the bedrails on my truck.

The only concern I'd have with the v-boxes is in those situations where when you're ready to unhitch the truck front wheels are on the downside of a hill and the rear wheels still going up. The rear of the truck will rise until those rear wheels crest the hill. I've had that happen and had to lower my fifthwheel tailgate to clear. It's only happened a time or two but I'm not sure the v-box would clear. Maybe it's lower in its V than is my tailgate? Maybe it's not a problem. C5racer, has this ever been a problem for you?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:22 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
You just have to keep an eye on it and raise the trailer a little more to clear the box.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:54 AM   #10
Larry and Sharon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21
I have a v box from truck trunk.Like it a lot but it is pricey.They will make it to fit short bed trucks so it dose not extend out the rear of box.I can still have my tail gate on with the box in,and slide my hitch.
Larry and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Have had the "V" box for several years and love it. Camping World has one, but the middle part of the box doesn't open. Yes, they are spendy, but some times you can do some negotiations. Got mine for $300.00
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:34 PM   #12
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The V-Box is the same height as a V-Gate, just a little longer. I installed it myself so I can put the tailgate back on, left about a 1/2 an inch between the tailgate and the V-box. It also opens all the way across, one hinge. I can get into the front box and the V-Box while hitched. Never had a problem unhitching, might have to raise it an inch or so over having a V-Gate.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The V-Box is the same height as a V-Gate, just a little longer. I installed it myself so I can put the tailgate back on, left about a 1/2 an inch between the tailgate and the V-box. It also opens all the way across, one hinge. I can get into the front box and the V-Box while hitched. Never had a problem unhitching, might have to raise it an inch or so over having a V-Gate.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #14
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
After much deliberation and thought I decided to go with an in bed tool box from Tractor Supply ($198) and a vee tail gate ($149) gate from Camping World.

I do appreciate all the input I received on this forum. Helped me a great deal.

Thanks