Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2004, 07:02 AM   #1
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Hydraulics failure

While camping this weekend we had a major hydraulics failure of the bedroom slide. As we were breaking camp Sunday morning the first indication of trouble was that the bedroom slide (2955RL) would not retrack. I noticed that the hydraulic reservoir appeared low on fluid so assuming that this may be the problem added about a quart. Still no slide movement At about this time noticed fluid leaking down the left landing gear. Raising the bed and removing the plywood panel discoved the carpet soak in hydraulic fluid!! The seal for the push rod had failed. So now friends and I were trying to figure out how to retrack the slide manually. After pouring over all my instruction manuals discovered I really didn't have a manual on the hydraulic slide. Only a manual on an electric slide!! Could not find any instructions on how to retract the slide manually. So after relieving the hydraulic pressure my two friends and I was able to physically push the slide in so that I could get home. Have made an appointment with the dealer for repairs including replacement of the bedroom carpet. I am wondering if anyone has had experience retracting these slides manually? If so please share.
Thanks

Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob,
Years of experience with Hydraulics in the Aerospace Bus. tells me, if the shaft seal has failed there is no other way to do it other than removing the cylinder or disconnecting the oil lines and manually pushing the slide in. You did the only thing a person could do. If you were to do this it would be wise to hook the lines back up after slide is pushed in as, this is the only thing holding your slide in while traveling. Even though there would be no pressure on the system, it shouldn't slide out on it's own.
If the Elect. motor fails we can manualy turn the hyd. pump. If the Hyd. pump fails were back to doing it the way you did it.
I'm sure some other folks will add there ideas also.
I'm also sure you will be well taken care of by the Dealer.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Thanks Steve for your post. Yes, thats how we did it. By removing the line going to the bedroom slide and three of us managed to push the slide back in. After it was in we reconnected the line. Seemed to work ok but should be an easier way in emergency.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob,
After thinking a little more about your problem, I think I'll buy a low cost "Comealong" to throw in my trailer. If this should happen to me, I would be able to un-hook the Hyd. lines, attach the Comealong to the trailer frame and the end of the piston bracket and pull the slides in.
This might work for you as well.
We'll just call it a little insurance plan.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote