Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #21
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--careful what you say or you are going to have some of the women on this site taking you to task. You know its the guys with their tools and hardware stuff that really weigh down these rigs. LOL.

On a more serious note, it increasingly looks to me like the 11,650# number that Montana mentions in the brochure probably includes the manditory options and the lighter one like you ordered, whereas the 11,900# on the inside and outside stickers in the 3400 may include something like hi gloss gelcoat since they are apparently pushing that in the 3400s. Just would be nice to know for sure instead of having to make guesses about what a rig will weigh when we get it.

I'm also struck by the fact that your 3400 weighed in at 13,548# before you started dumping stuff. Unless that included a significant amount of fresh or waste water, that suggests you as a single guy were able to fit in almost 2000# of stuff. Makes it easier to see how a snowbirding couple could average 2000# and full timers maybe 3000# or more. Of course, if snowbirds or full timers fill their water tanks in order to go boondocking, its easy to go over the 13,975# GVWR. UGH!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
You are correct, sorry gals I was only kidding. =)

On the flip side the 13,548 did not include any fresh water onboard. I have a seasonal site that the coach is on for 6 months. I will say that I use the coach more like a cabin and less like a coach. I have 4 lounge chairs, 8 folding fabric chairs, all the summer wear for the river, fall clothing for cooler nights, 10 cases of pop(36 pk from costco) _ _ cases of beer, enough blankets for 8 people, 2 folding tables, 8 cases of bottle water, enough food for 10 for a month(nearest town is 35 miles away) floating rafts, all the additional boating toys, movies, 2 smaller fans, games, full propane, fire pit(stolen), dog kennel and all the dog toys, I think you see where I am going. I am hoping to get the coach weighed before I head out for the rally, it will be packed more as an rv and not a lake cabin.

I know you can make the 3400RL work for fulltiming, you will need to get creative in your packing. Remember you will have more than 1,900 lbs on the kingpin, that is the dry weight as it comes from the factory. If your truck can handle the weight, keep all your heavy items in the front closet or basement. The area you have to make sure you watch is the 12k on the rear axles. Expect a kingpin weight more in the ballpark of 2600 lbs. Also as other members have stated, you cannot pack the entire house into the coach. Those items you have to keep should go to a storage unit or a family members house that can store them for you. This will allow you to keep your prize items while not adding to the weight you haul around.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 AM   #23
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--with all that beer, soda and bottled water, no wonder you didn't need any water in your tanks. LOL!!

It's impressive that the 3400 could hold all that gear. A testament to its storage capacity. So I can go bulky as long as I go light. Let's see--fleece clothing, cotton candy, popcorn, ...!!! LOL!!!

I agree with your observation on the value of having a tow vehicle that can handle pin weights of 2600# or higher. I suspect that high pin weights will be where extra weight shows up. I'll probably go even further in that direction by keeping heavier tools and gear in a toolbox in the truck and using a portable generator or two in the truck rather than in the forward compartment that Montana provides. I haven't seen anyone report axle weights of 12,000# so far--has anyone had such readings? Given that the Mission tires now are 3500# tires, and the axles probably have at least a 10% safety factor, I don't see axle overload as a likely problem, even when the fresh water tanks are full.

Bottom line from my perspective is that anyone planning to snowbird or full time will have to watch their weights carefully and make their own determination as to acceptable legal risk in the event that they exceed a GVWR which is currently set well below what the structure of the 3400 is capable of handling.

Dave, I look forward to meeting you at the rally next month and helping you deal with any overweight problems you have from carrying all that beer. LOL!!!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 08-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
Dont you worry, most of the beverages are gone. That is the problem with having a coach set up for 6 months on the river and a boat in the marina, you never know who is going to stop by for the weekend. Have to be prepared! A typical weekend has at 4 people in my coach (had up to 12 at once & 8 stayed all weekend) Scary thing about the amount of stuff I listed, that was not even all of it, there WAS more, much more. =) The main point is even with all that, I was still at 13,500 lbs in the coach.

I think you are going to be very surprised w/ what I end up bringing to the rally next month, I have been taking out most of the summer stuff for the lake. No need to haul stuff that wont be used on this trip. See you there!

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm looking forward to having less pinweight on the truck with the 3400 than we have with our 3295RK. I'm also anxious to see what the 3400RL weighs with all our "stuff" in it, compared to this 3295RK.

The only difference in our gear since weighing the 3295RK is I'll have an extra autoformer onboard the 3400. My new one arrived today. The old one will be for sale (cheap) at the rally garage sale.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
Let me know what your weight comes in once you get that baby loaded!! =)

2004 Montana 3400RL
Old 08-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #27
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve--I'd love to see your weights both before and after you load your stuff in it--that will be a good demo on both factory weight and the weight of a full-timer's stuff.

Will you have it by the rally next month?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, unless something happens to it between factory and dealer we'll have it at the rally. I probably will not weigh it prior to loading it, although I'd like to. The dealer is going to bring it out to this RV Park after we do the PDI so we can move it. The nearest scale I know of is 15 miles from here so we probably won't weigh it until it's loaded and I've added the vent covers and the scissor jacks and levels. I'd like to see actual weight prior to loading but am not at all sure I want to deal with going out to that busy truck stop twice.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote