Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #301
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
Would be great to keep it all in the garage, unfortunately that was the compromise with getting the 381. Really need to get it home & see what fits, hard to do at the campground we are at now. Has anyone added more tie downs?
Haven’t added more tie downs YET but will be. Gotta pull down underbelly to check and make sure not to hit anything critical and to make sure good backup for bolts

I also would like to figure out some dividers or poles or something to keep kayaks off the motorcycle and vice versa. Maybe some poles or straps running up and down???

Really though you should look into the bikes on the truck bumper. That is a good place for them if you get proper rack and hitch

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #302
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Quote:
Just curious, did your new campers came with an owners manual? This is the first one that didn't have a compilation of equipment nomenclature and a factory manual for the coach. Camping world basically told me if its not in there it doesn't come with it, I don't buy it. Thanks
Mine has a full compliment of manuals. Mostly mfgr related, the typical generic Montana RV Owners manual, etc.

The only ones that are useful are the TV/stereo ones (so I can set the clock ) and the one for the auto level system.

I was under the impression that a dealer had to give you complete manuals for any vehicle as a federal safety issue (NTSB DOT et al)

PS: Renegade1 thank you for the thank you
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #303
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Haven’t added more tie downs YET but will be. Gotta pull down underbelly to check and make sure not to hit anything critical and to make sure good backup for bolts

I also would like to figure out some dividers or poles or something to keep kayaks off the motorcycle and vice versa. Maybe some poles or straps running up and down???

Really though you should look into the bikes on the truck bumper. That is a good place for them if you get proper rack and hitch
Agreed, I am going to wait a little while before doing anything , come up with a plan & do some research.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #304
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
FYI
We got our receiver bike rack at Camping World. It is kind with cradles for tires and an upside down J shaped bracket that slides down over top frame member. It works great very easy to load and use. They make one just like it that is hinged to drop down out of way of tailgate and 5er hitch king pin. I may buy one of those or modify the current one

I can weld and have done a lot with square tubing sized for receivers.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #305
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
We are thinking of getting a can am spyder, has anyone tried fitting one in the garage? Depending on model the one we are looking at is 58.9"wide, very tight. I am thinking if I block the a arms I could gain a couple of inches. Need to try one, see if a dealer will let me try it first or no sale.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #306
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
We are thinking of getting a can am spyder, has anyone tried fitting one in the garage? Depending on model the one we are looking at is 58.9"wide, very tight. I am thinking if I block the a arms I could gain a couple of inches. Need to try one, see if a dealer will let me try it first or no sale.
Oddly enough we are looking at a CanAm as well with plans to go to Colorado to ride next year. Only model that will fit is the scout. It was way to tight for my 6’2” frame. We are going to go with the Maverick X3. I really like the recliner seats and options for that model. But as a result we will be trailering it. Not really a problem as we have a trailer, are planning on a second pickup truck and our friends need to tow as their 5er is not a toy hauler
Old 07-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #307
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Well it looks like we can fit the spyder in, now we are looking at our off road trips. We currently have two atvs which wont fit so we are thinking about a polaris rzr 900. It is 50 inches wide by 105 inches long not sure if this will fit. Has anyone tried this? I was thinking nose in & deflate the two front tires to get under the overhang. We really hope this will work as we can also take the dog with us.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #308
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Well it looks like we can fit the spyder in, now we are looking at our off road trips. We currently have two atvs which wont fit so we are thinking about a polaris rzr 900. It is 50 inches wide by 105 inches long not sure if this will fit. Has anyone tried this? I was thinking nose in & deflate the two front tires to get under the overhang. We really hope this will work as we can also take the dog with us.
Is that a loaded bagger Spider? I was wondering about backing in with the rear backrest?

I think width will be the issue with side by side. I know only the scout will fit in Can Am lineup. And while I would love to have it fit garage the performance and comfort matter more
Old 07-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #309
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Is that a loaded bagger Spider? I was wondering about backing in with the rear backrest?

I think width will be the issue with side by side. I know only the scout will fit in Can Am lineup. And while I would love to have it fit garage the performance and comfort matter more
If you block the front a arms the wheels come in almost 2 inches, i used to have an 08 & had to do that on another trailer. The spyder is very stable & trailers well just have to be careful loading, best if you jack up the front to reduce the angle. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I have friends who own a Polaris dealership & he wants to try it out as well. His wife also has a spyder so we are going to load both & I will post some pics.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #310
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
If you block the front a arms the wheels come in almost 2 inches, i used to have an 08 & had to do that on another trailer. The spyder is very stable & trailers well just have to be careful loading, best if you jack up the front to reduce the angle. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I have friends who own a Polaris dealership & he wants to try it out as well. His wife also has a spyder so we are going to load both & I will post some pics.
That would be great. I am extremely interested!

If you would be so kind as to try to load Spyder both forward and backing in please. It may matter which way it is loaded for clearance on the rear hard bag of a bagger and if we are carrying kayaks overhead. If a Polaris will fit (even with engineering for hauling) that might sway us toward them instead of the Can Am

For now we favor trailering a Can Am Maverick X3 but we haven’t bought it yet
Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #311
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawPilot View Post
It seems we’ve very suddenly developed a fairly serious leak in our toilet. The shroud around the base looks cracked and water pours from under the bowl.
thetford toilet?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #312
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
It seems we’ve very suddenly developed a fairly serious leak in our toilet. The shroud around the base looks cracked and water pours from under the bowl.
Is that the brand everyone warns us about??
Old 07-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #313
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
thetford toilet?
Yup. I think it's the Aqua Magic II. It appears the source of the water is from the top of the vacuum breaker.

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #314
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Here are some pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-19 13.19.50.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1957   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-07-19 13.20.07.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1958  

Old 07-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #315
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We had the same problem with are's the first time out and no-buddy around had the part! in stock I filed the top with caulk and put duck tape around it till we got home and installed a Dometic 320 that's how you fix the leak!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #316
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Completely swapping the toilet isn't exactly a quick fix.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #317
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Completely swapping the toilet isn't exactly a quick fix.
If it is the same as residential toilets should be just one hose and two closet bolts very easy. And I would suspect much easier than replacing parts??
Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #318
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
actually it may be quicker. pull old one, tweak plumbing to match, install new one done vs pull toilet, find replacement part. replace part. reinstall old one. Replace old one later when next failure occurs. need tongue in cheek emoji
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #319
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
I would encourage everyone on here to look at your slideout roofs while your slides are in. Take a flashlight and look directly under the gearbox drive. This is for 2017s, 2018s, and 2019s. The gearbox seeps grease, lands on the slideout roof membrane and causes it to bubble up and tear. Keystone is very aware of the issue and hasn't done anything about it yet. I found out about it through the 381 th page on Facebook. Looked at mine and all 4 slide roofs are damaged. Taking my rig in tomorrow to get a list of issues addressed. This is our second high country and we can tell the quality has deteriorated in recent years.
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 AM   #320
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
I would encourage everyone on here to look at your slideout roofs while your slides are in. Take a flashlight and look directly under the gearbox drive. This is for 2017s, 2018s, and 2019s. The gearbox seeps grease, lands on the slideout roof membrane and causes it to bubble up and tear. Keystone is very aware of the issue and hasn't done anything about it yet. I found out about it through the 381 th page on Facebook. Looked at mine and all 4 slide roofs are damaged. Taking my rig in tomorrow to get a list of issues addressed. This is our second high country and we can tell the quality has deteriorated in recent years.
Ours is going to the dealer tomorrow, took in a lot of water in street side living room slide out I didnt see any damage on the roof but I will look again tomorrow. We have water trapped between the siding & plywood with no place to go. we will be pushing hard for a replacement of the camper as it is 2 weeks old. I have also filed a claim with insurance so they will be involved also. I will never buy a camper again with out having it pressurized & leak tested like using a sealtech 430. I think this should be a mandatory part of every PDI, I would even pay the 150$ that most dealers charge for the peace of mind.