Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Montana_1949
Established Member

M.O.C. #1949
Montana Warranty

I recently asked a question re: towing a 2980RL with my 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel and got some good advise. thanks. Another part of my letter questioned how well the Montanas held up,I will ask the same question on this forum. And what is the Montana Warranty, how long and for what? Also how well do they stand behind it and serve it?

Thanks,
Bill
B-Z Riders
Dodge, 3/4 Diesel
Looking at Montanas

Montana_1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
B-Z Riders - welcome. The Montana seems to hold up well - others can give you a better idea. We had a lot of trouble with ours but know others that have had very little trouble with theirs. Like all other rv's humans build them and by no means is there a perfect anything. Make sure it wasn't built on a Friday or Monday . As for the general warranty it is for one year with roof, flooring etc having a lot longer warranty - at the moment I can't remember details (my husband could) as to 10 or 15 yrs involved in some. Look on the website for more details.

Now for your question in Keystone backing their warranty. As I said we had a lot of major and minor problems - to date Keystone has stepped up to the plate and has repaired everything to our satisfaction. We still have 2 more items to have done and the parts are finally in and have an appointment with our dealer in Sept.

Good luck on your decision.

Safe travels.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
They tell me it takes 23 hours of maintenance to get a SeaKing chopper to fly for one hour. Igor and the boys didn't design your Montana... but the more you use it the more you'll repair it.

Also remember ... 60% of the Montanas out there have less then 20,000 miles.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:54 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bought mine used and have good luck with it. Like any trailer there is always lots of maintenance most of which you can do yourself. Like replacing staples with screws etc. My converter had a bad solder joint on the battery charging resistor, nickle dime but still had to be soldered. Had to replace batteries. Have to grease my wheels after each trip. My seals holding the glass in the cabinetes is failing but RTV does a better job. Fix them as necessary.

I am very conservative with treatment. I drive 60-65 and when there are a lot of bumps in the road I slow down to keep additional g forces off my tires and axles. If you want to drive 70-80 there will be more maintenance although the trailer will handle great at those speeds.

I think the warranty on Montanas is still one year for general items and 12 years on the roof. Warranty is not transferable. So that is not a good feature because it reduces re-sale value.

Keystone appears to do a great job honoring warrantys. Probably the best in the industry. Purchase mine without warranty and they did a frame upgrade on mine that envoled lots of labor and steel. No charge to me. They are still performing this out of warranty upgrade.

When reading the Good Sam forum recently a Cardinal owner had a crack under his bedroom slide. Cardinal offered to fix it if they would go 4500 miles to the factory. Montanas can normally be fixed at the local dealer free of charge.

Montanas probably have the same problems as other trailers. the harder you treat it the more problems you will have.

For mine, I have put at least 20000 miles on it and still have two of original tires (99 15 inch ST Towmasters). I only change two of them because of slight bulges. It is hard to tell which ones are the 99's and which ones are the 02's. Just about the same amout of tread. But I will replace the 99's before next summer.

A lot of buying any trailer is how good your dealer is. There is of course two sides to that story also.

Good luck in your selection.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have the warranty info at hand either since I'm in the rv park office at the moment but the others are correct. The primary Montana warranty is one year with other things being longer, like the roof. Thing like the fridge, water heater, tires, etc., are warranted by their respective manufacturers. Montana dealers usually take care of these things or help get appts if needed.

We're on our second Montana and fourth fifthwheel. The first Montana was a new 2001 model we kept for 18 months. We had an initial problem of the rear brakes not working at all, just the front axle brakes. That pretty well wore out the brakes on that one axle while the other axle's brakes were never in use, they were still brand new. When the dealer discovered this problem after about 6 months of ownership, Keystone told him not to replace just the worn out brakes on that axle but to replace all four from the backing plate out to make sure we have consistent braking all the way around. That impressed me a lot.

When we decided to fulltime we traded for another new, 2003, Montana so we could have a washer and dryer in it. We've had only minor problems with this one. Nothing major at all. We've towed it all over this country, to both coasts twice, and currently are in WV, in the past 17 months. You can see just where by clicking on the link in my signature. We have very, very pleased with the way this Montana has held up. I can tell you right now that if we were to trade again it would be another new Montana. Well, if we won a megabuck lottery we might go for a custom $100k plus rig but otherwise it would be a Montana.

Montana has been the number one seller in North America for three years in a row. There surely must be a reason for that.

Hope this helps answer your questions. I don't mean to make it sound like Montanas never has problems - that just isn't true. They're mechanical and we bounce them around on rough roads, etc. But Montanas seem to be well-built and Keystone sure is good about standing behind them.

As Lightningjack11 mentioned about his, some of the early Montanas had a smaller frame that turned out to be a problem. I believe 2000 models were the newest I've heard involved in this. To this day Keystone is fixing these units even though long out of warranty and owned by second and third owners and they're doing it at no charge. Now that's a great company. You can find posts in this forum from folks who have had this work done and feel the result is at least as strong as the newer models, maybe more.

Gee, I sound like I work for Keystone, which I don't. But I am very pleased at how they've treated their customers. Good luck whatever your decision.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote