Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Location for new battery box - 3455sa

I'm going to fabricate a battery box and add 4 6v batteries now but make the box big enough for a total of 6. All part of a planned solar installation.

My question regards the best location for the batteries. The most logical place seems to put them where the factory installed the single 12v battery - in the forward equipment bay where the hydraulic pump/landing gear is located but wonder if the floor of that compartment can hold potentially 400+ lbs of batteries bouncing down the road.

Where do you upgraders have yours?

My compartment floor also has a partial cut-out on the passenger side. A couple of square feet in size. Its not a hole in the floor, just most of the cut out made with sections where the floor was not cut. A few minutes with a jig saw to connect the "dots" and I'd have a big hole. anyone know what that was for? Generator prep? Do others have this?

Thanks in advance

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Yes, we have the same cutout scheme in our current fifthwheel as well as in the old one. Have always thought it had to do with a generator install, which we have never had. Don't know what the answer is, re weight. Important question. I know I carry a lot of tools in that compartment.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Greg,
If you do not have the generator prep in the forward bay you will have more options locating the batteries. With the gen prep the bay where the original battery is located can be a problem putting in 6 batteries. I don't know how would be the best way unless they are stacked. With no gen prep you can spread out. If you are using lead acid batteries they should be sealed and away from the inverter and vented. AGMs would make locating easier, but more costly.
I have not had any problems with the bay floor hauling 4 6v batteries, 62 lbs each. I took them to Alaska and I did do some serious bouncing and shaking.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thanks.

No gen prep so plenty of room. The floor of the forward compartment is certainly more substantial metal than was my Cougar and I had 2 12v batteries in there which I took out before I traded and will install temp for this summer. I'll just fabricate a battery box and put them in there.

Inverter (took it out of the Cougar as well) will likely go in the big basement area on the other side of the wall. Haven't really planned all that out just yet.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mine has the cutouts too. Is it possible to make the bottom of the battery box larger than the cutouts so the bottom of the box spans the cutouts? I think this would help with the support and should be able to support four to six batteries.

I have read posts in several RV forums (maybe even this one) of people doing this and having as many as six 6v batteries in their RV, but don't know if everyone put them in the same area you are describing. My new set of batteries will be 6v, and I'll be keeping an eye on this topic to get some info. Thanks for bringing it up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
The cutoffs occupy about 1/2 of the passenger side of the compartment or about 1/3 or so of the total width +/- . Spanning it won't be a problem since I plan to put the batteries more to the driver side and leave some space on the passenger side for tools etc. The box might not even reach as far as the cutout depending on how I lay it out.

I will be interested in hearing from some people to see if they indeed do have six batteries in that compartment.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I was contemplating doing a similar thing by adding an additional battery and relocating the existing 12 volt battery cuz the way it's in there is enough to give you a double hernia lifing it out (did that make sense?). Anyhow, what material are you going to use for the new battery box and how will you ventilate it? Would it be safe to ventilate the entire compartment? I hope this isn't too far off your subject.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At the moment we have two 12v batteries in the front, we also have the cutout and it was explained that if we installed a generator we could knock that out and use the hole as part of the set up. My storage on that end bridges across it and I put a rubber mat over the cut out and things stay dry and strength doesn't seem to be an issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The floor in the area is strong. The slits on the door side floor areTo let air in for gen. cooling. If I thought it was necessary I would lay another sheet of metal over that floor, probably aluminum. I really think it is strong as enough as is, but that IMHO. Larry. PS you might look to John Walker as he has a nice battery box.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Flymutt,

I will probably use plywood, seal it with epoxy and epoxy glue the corners. A couple of latches to hold the top on and a weatherstrip gasket to seal When done it would be watertight and easy to build.

On my last one I just used a 1" mylar marine thru hull fitting, attached a vent hose to that and then tied the hose into the existing outside vent. I would not vent the whole compartment but rather direct vent the box to the outside so that there's no chance for Hydrogen to build up or leak into the camper. Remember the hindenburg :-)

Another thru hull fitting on the bottom for a drain could match up with the existing drain, bolt it in and it would be good to go.

I'd make it a little oversize on the dimensions to allow for some future variation in battery size. On my last one a couple of pieces of blue dow foam board wedged in around the sides cushioned the batteries and kept them from moving.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I just did a quick search and came up with Johns Battery Box. This is pretty much what I had planned with just a few mods. I'll probably run the cable thru the box rather than have terminal studs but you get the idea.

He also has six batteries in the front bay and said the weight is not a problem. The post is a year old so I think I'll PM him and ask how it's held up.

Here's the link to it http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=38200

Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Thanks Gkerlin for the info. THAT is one serious battery box! I'll most likely make a "mini" version.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote