Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Pretty Obvious

The elderly couple were in trouble; with the angle at which they had backed into their space; they would not be able to get the pin out of the bed of the truck without putting a nice curve in the side-rail of the seventies F-350 gasser. The gasser was a shiny black beauty.

He, struggled with the 5th-wheel release pull, it was stuck. The trailer wasn’t chocked and the emergency brake was not set. Oak Creek was only 20 feet away, and most of that was downhill! Thankfully the pin lever hadn’t had the pressure relieved.

She was trying to plug a 50 amp cord into a 30 amp receptacle, and showed the frustration of a person out of her league with those electrical things.

Catastrophe was near.

She asked for my advice about several setup related tasks.

My mind raced remembering my early backing-up experience, the time I was out of my league; this RV thing was something I just didn’t have enough experience at yet. After several attempts at backing into a space at our home-park, ok, many-many attempted backups; I had determined there was no way to back into this flat uphill angled spot.

Our new presumptive neighbor seeing my frustration, walked over with a sheepish smile and asked;

“Is this a new rig?”

Tom was a smart man. He had the words, and the way to be able to get past my male ego without me knowing.

“How did you guess?” I retorted.

Tom says, “Have you tried turning it to the right which will get the tail-end going to the left? Yeah, keep coming back! Good job! Ok, now back to the right, pull forward, and hold it, where are your slides? Ok, you’re probably going to want to level from there.”

At that moment my thoughts were that this beast was finally in a position that we could live in, comfortably. I’m done. Whew. Thanks neighbor!

Today was a special day for me. I was able to repay my good friend, Tom. I was able to help someone else, who in this busy world of people thinking about themselves most of the time, there just needs to be more compassion with the ways we all have of helping with the simplest of tasks….something some of us may do every day, something that is easy for the knowing and not so easy for those less experienced. It takes very little effort to notice and make a difference.

My new neighbors have electricity, water, heat, their refrigerator is turned on, and their hot water heater now works after some simple electrical troubleshooting. The sewer line is connected. Their trailer is chocked, level, and secure; hopefully, they are now comfortable and safe.

Tonight, I’ll be sleeping with a smile……I highly recommend it!

Thank you, Tom, I never forgot.

Robbie

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, YOU DA MAN!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Nice story and an attaboy for you...I'm a firm believer in Karma, and you just showed how rewarding it can be.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Nicely done. We have had a few times where we were able to help and it does bring great satisfaction!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes and the best pay back is them helping someone else. Nice Job.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
That's one of the things I like about RVing. A long time ago I had some of the same problems and a nice "older" man came up and asked me some very tactful questions and then helped me. Since then I've had many opportunities to help but only if a person really looks like they're in trouble. I don't like to butt in unless it looks like they aren't going to make it without breaking something.

We had an incident in Deming, NM last January when an older couple were pulling a fifth wheel and after they had pulled into a pull through spot they decided they wanted to go around again and park in another spot. Before I could get out of our rig and run over to "advise" them, he pulled the fifth wheel around a tree and put a branch right into his living room. He got hung up on the limb and began backing up and pulling forward 4 or 5 times until he broke the limb off. I never did get to help him. He was angry and I didn't want to be the one he was going to take his anger out on.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I am a firm believer that whatever goes around, comes around. You may ask me how when you see me. I have several I can relay to you.

Robbie, reach around with your right hand and as you pat your back, say, "Good job Robbie, good job."
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hope you're around if I need some help sometime Robbie! A job well done!! Congrats!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Keep spreading that smile around!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Nice! Very Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:52 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thanks everyone for the kudos.

Sometimes, it is just the simple things that make such a huge difference.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
That was a very nice thing you did Robbie. It is always good to help someone like that.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Bottom line here is that we all had to be "newbies" one time or another! My parents taught me that I should treat people the way I want to be treated...with courtesy and respect as well as that you should offer a helping hand when possible. Today when we were looking to park in the spot we picked out for our weekend here at Peace River people were ready to help out in small, but significant ways...moving a car to make the swing of the truck easier, calling attention to a street sign that was in a blind spot for Doug when I was on the other side of the rig, and welcoming us with generally chit chat once the rigs were parked. Just a little outreach that makes the camping/RVing experience that much nicer!

We try to be good neighbors and lend a hand when possible, be it for that antenna that didn't get stowed properly or the entrance door grab bar that somehow didn't get set back flush with the rig, or giving that helping hand like you did with electrical hook-ups (including lending adapters) to help make the process less stressful and easier to manage while going through that steep learning curve!

Hooray for those of you who extend that helping hand and for those of you that remember that helping hand and then pay it both "back" and "forward"!!!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote