Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Tire Temperature? Monitoring System

I just installed a new tire pressure monitoring system and aside from high and low pressure readings, you can input tire temperature warning limit. But I cannot seemd to find out what temperature I should input. What is too hot? Tire manufacturer website does not mention temp. Any ideas. Thanks as always, Nick

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
What brand/type of tpms did you get? How easy was it to install? I'm looking to one also.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I suggest getting an IR temperature gage from Radio Shack and monitor their temperature to get a reference.
The other option is set the temperature at 90 degrees and monitor their temps. I believe they will go higher under normal operation. It will be irritating to have the alarm go off but is one option.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
In my 45 years of driving I have never had to worry about tire temp, having said that, I do feel the trailer wheel hubs whenever I stop to make sure there is no overheating. What would cause a trie to overheat and what could you do about it?? Inquiring minds want to know!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
We use an IR tempurature guage from Radio Shack at every stop we make just to see if one of the wheels is signifacantly hotter than the others. The temp reading vary depending on the weather or other environmentals but if all the wheels are in the same range I feel better. Of course, if they were all overheating to the same range I wouldn't know it. Ha Ha
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Tire temp does not tell a lot under normal conditions. BUT if there was a case of tread separation or sidewall breakdown a tire would heat up. As for what temp to set your monitor I do not know, after all there is a huge difference in tire temps from day to night and region, summer, winter. Summer road surface temps can get hot enough to literally fry an egg.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
I bought the unit from Saf T Corp but they had a lot of problems delivering and are no longer doing RV business (just truck fleets). I learned on the most recent trip to set the tire pressure at about 15% above the cold pressure recommended for the tire, 80 psi in my case. My wife has a contact in the trucking tire industry and it seems tires are safe up to about 150 degrees, so that is where I am setting it. So far tires have not gotten above around 80 degrees.
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I remember to check with the IR Reader, it is usually 15-20 minutes after I stop. I get varying temperatures between 104 and 110 degrees at that time.

Here is an article I found on Reading Tire Temperatures

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
About the only way you would get heat build-up would be if a tire was low on air or if a wheel bearing was going out. Tires may get a little bit hotter going across Death Valley....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
And the southern exposured tire will be hotter than the northern exposed tire in the summer time. Only be a few degrees but still warmer.
So don't get excited if all four tires are not the same temperture.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have stated this before and this comes from my tire dealer. When I stop at a rest area or get fuel I walk around the unit and put my hand and all the tires. If you can put your hand on and leave it on the tires and hubs there is no problems. Low air or tire coming apart will be hot to the touch. Also bad bearings or sticking brakes will also be hot. The tread will also be a little warmer then the side walls and as stated the sun side will be a little warmer. If they are to hot to hold your hand on them then something is not right and you need to find out why.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I'm still trying to figure how a sensor on the stem of the tire can monitor the internal temperature of a tire. Unless this is a technology I'm not familiar with there's no way to ACCURATELY sense the temperature since the valve stem is spinning the airstream the sensed value is cooler than the internal temperature. Also, the ambient temperature of the air, be it Summer's 115 degree or Winter's 45 degree is going to impact the valve stem temperature, same thing the Doran engineers I talked to questioned about the PressurePro TPM system's claims.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I've been told that wind chill has no (or extremely low) effect on inanimate objects. Would a spinning rim be considered wind chill? Could the sensor be insulated to only test the air inside the tire?

Edited: Wind will dissipate the heat quicker, but the temperature will not be below the ambient air temperature of an inanimate object. So, if the ambient temperature surrounding the sensor (inside the device) is 100 degrees, that is the reading that will be sent to the receiver. That's my take on it. But I'm not all that smart so maybe some engineer can shed some more "heat" on the subject.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

I'm still trying to figure how a sensor on the stem of the tire can monitor the internal temperature of a tire. Unless this is a technology I'm not familiar with there's no way to ACCURATELY sense the temperature since the valve stem is spinning the airstream the sensed value is cooler than the internal temperature. Also, the ambient temperature of the air, be it Summer's 115 degree or Winter's 45 degree is going to impact the valve stem temperature, same thing the Doran engineers I talked to questioned about the PressurePro TPM system's claims.
The systems I have seen that monitor both temperature and pressure, have the sensor inside the tire, not on the valve stem. The ambient air that the sensor reads is that inside the tire. A temperature different from the other wheels, and out of the what I think you would quickly learn to be "normal" would be of concern.

So far I have been getting by with the "hand touch" method at every stop, but I can see where continuous monitoring of both temperature and pressure could be useful.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I've been told that wind chill has no (or extremely low) effect on inanimate objects.
Yep, thats why automobile radiators are so ineffective in engine heat dissipation.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

But I'm not all that smart so maybe some engineer can shed some more "heat" on the subject.
I already did, based on the premise that the sensor was attached to the OEM valve stem. If there's a new valve stem with integral sensor required to be replaced as part of the TPM in question then this premise is moot.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Check out general discussion on our montana's on the 3-rd page,the information your looking for is there on tire pressure
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote