Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pullrite SuperGlide Maintenance Questions

I'm still considering my options for an auto slider. Pullrite's SuperGlide is one I'm considering.

The Pullrite website says the rails on a superglide must be lubricated before every trip. Somewhere else I read every 1000 miles. Also, they have a new spray lubricant on the pullrite site that supposedly dries hard and will not attract dirt and lasts longer than grease. One dealer tells me he sells that spray lubricant for $14.95/can. The Pullrite site says silcon spray and wd-40 are not acceptable alternatives. Their spray and a spray white grease are acceptable.

Is it really necessary to lubricate before every trip? How often do you lube yours? What lube do you use? Anything else I should know about maintaining the superglide?

Also, pullrite now has a "new" "quick connect capture plate" for the superglide. It attaches "loosely" to the pinbox with four set screws. Nowhere is it stated but it appears this plate could be quickly removed should the fifthwheel need to be towed by a commercial tow truck or other tow vehicle with a non superglide hitch. Is anyone familiar with this capture plate? Is my understanding about quick removal correct? A dealer tells me he sells the quick connect capture plate for $95.95.

I did some pricing online but am continuing to look for a better deal. One dealer sells the 18k SuperGlide itself for $1549.95 but by the time you add the mounting kit, installation labor, a can of the lube, removal of my current hitch, sales tax, the total comes to $2737.62.

I'm also considering the Hijacker Autoslide. The Hijacker website does not list dealers so I'm having some trouble getting pricing info on that hitch.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,

I use white lithium grease on the way tubes (rails) of my Superglide. It is not necessary to grease the tubes every day if you apply a good coating each time you apply the grease. On my trip to the fall rally back in 2006, I had to apply grease to the hitch once on the way there and once on the way back. That trip totaled just shy of 9,500 miles. On the trip from Spokane to Chicago back in October, I did not have to re-lube the way tubes at all and that covered roughly 2,500 miles. The grease is very messy compared to the spray alternative, but a can of grease from NAPA or any automotive store costs roughly $4.95 and lasts me almost a full year. (depending on distance traveled) I love my Superglide and highly recommend it.(JMO)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Steve,
I'm too new to answer your lube and connect questions...I can tell you that I paid $2600.00 plus tax for the hitch at the time of delivery of my 3400. I tried to get it for less, but that is the best I could do.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
They make a "dry" silicone spray lube which will leave a dry film. I can't see why that would not work. For 6-7 dollars, I think that they try to scare you into buying all of there products, when you read the ingrediants you find out it is made by the same company that you buy off a shelf at a parts store.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, I have used my hitch on both of our Montana's and I grease it about the same as Montana Sky. I really like it and if I had to buy another hitch tomorrow it would be a SuperGlide.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I have used SLIP PLATE for the last 2 years. Great stuff - much cleaner and I only spray once or twice a year. Pullrite recommend it for their Superglide.
Go to their site at the link below and look at Accessories.

http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_access.htm

markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the replies. I think since a can of either product will last at least a year, I'd go for the dry stuff that lasts longer. Markwick, that's where I found out about it. Thanks.

Brenkco, it sounds like your price is in line with what I was quoted. The 2737 I was told includes $55 to remove my old hitch and $187 in sales taxes (Arizona).
Old 02-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Dow Corning makes a Dry Film Lube
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I use Slip Plate. Love it. I lube when I see the need (black graphite looking stuff gone)
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, As you well know I swear by my SuperGlide. In my humble (me? humble?) there is NO better hitch, or service department, on the market bar none.
I got mine back in Sept 03 and with a few exceptions it has performed flawlessly.
Since getting it, every year when we go to the Fall Rally I pay a visit to the PUllrite plant. Every year except 07 they have made some minor adjustments at NO COST. This past fall (2007) I again went to the plant and they found that some how I had bent the top plate. It was only out about an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch. They removed the entire hitch and rebuilt it from top to bottom. They replaced the hitch plate, the working mechanism and the way bars. They also gave me a can of SLIP Plate to be used on the way bars. The SLIP Plate applies a graphite coating that wears like steel. Yes it is greaseless but you still don't want to touch the way bars as you will get the black graphite on you. I spray the way bars about every 1500 to 2000 miles. In 4 years it has never cost me anything, including 07, except my time.
After I got back to the rally I mentioned to Rich (RC and Samantha) about Pullrite's great service and he took his Superglide to the plant. They went over his hitch as well and again didn't charge a penny.
I know you get to Elkhart most every year and I would definitely recommend you visit the plant and if you do get a Superglide absolutely visit the plant to have them go over it.

BTW-This would apply to any Pullrite hitch that the rest of you may have. The folks at Pullrite told me to spread the word that they will work on any of their hitches, at the plant, at no cost to the owner.

Another BTW-The Pullrite plant is at 13790 East Jefferson Blvd, Mishawaka, IN about 25 minutes from the Goshen fairgrounds
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #11
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Now, that is a manufacturer that stands behind it's product !!! it really is good to see, you only wish more would do that.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Steve sreigle,

Glenn covered it thoroughly here for you about Pullrite. We own the SuperGlide 18K and it's been great. The Quick Connect Capture Plate that you mentioned in your previous post has 4 allen wrench screws that go into the kingpin sides and that Plate can be removed if necessary for towing with other hitches.
We purchased our whole system, the 18K hitch, Plate and rails for 1665.00 total online and 4 hours to install at our dealer for a total of 2025.00. The labor apparently varies from 4-6 hours. I can provide the website if you are interested. They were excellent out of Decatur Illinois. The whole setup was delivered to my RV dealer free and no sales tax. Dennis

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #13
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Hi Steve. I agree with Glenn's post although I have not switched over to the dry lube yet. I plan on it this year though. I had a little play in the king pin connection which caused a little thump when pulling out from a stop. I called Pullrite, they had me check a few things for them including a possible bent plate like Glenn talked about. They sent me overnight a replacement part at no charge. It was a relatively easy fix. I love the hitch even though it is pricey. I never have to think about the turns I make with my short bed Dodge. My advice is that if you can afford it .... go for it.

I hope you guys are doing well. Come back to Concord someday.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Great information, Glenn and the rest. Dennis, would you mind emailing me the website info? If you don't have my email address, use the envelope icon above this post. Thanks.

Pete, we hope to get back to that area again one of these days. We'll definitely contact you to see if we can get together again with you and Karen.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Pete, not to hijack the thread but tell me about the thump when taking off. I have it on mine. Did not do it when new.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
In our case most of the thump was when we were pulling out and was created by the white nylon pad on the very front of the hitch. This can be adjusted by you.
When the trailer is off and If the white pad is adjusted properly it will take a bit of an effort to manually slide the hitch. If it slides freely you need to adjust or replace the pad.
My original white pad had a flat face where the hitch makes contact whereas the new pad has a more concave face.

BTW-The Senior Service Coordinator is Linda Marie Groning. Don't let the fact that she's a female fool you, this girl knows her stuff. She's the one that spotted my 1/8 to 1/4" bent hitch problem on her very first glance.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #17
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Glenn, thanks for that information on the adjustment.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On the pullrite website you can download the manual for each of the superglide hitches. I see in there are detailed instructions on exactly how to adjust the amount of slop. There has to be a very small amount so it might be worthwhile to get the details.

This, of course, may not apply if the pad is worn out.

Glenn, how many miles would you estimate you towed with your superglide before the pad wore out? Just trying to get a feel.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Good Question Steve but I really don't keep track of the trailers mileage. If I had to estimate it would probably be in the area of 35,000 to 40,000 miles over 4 summers. Also the original pad was far from worn out. Pullrite replaced it with the new concave version as they were in the process of replacing a lot of the other moving parts anyway.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 AM   #20
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Glenn, I just don't see or know where the "pad" is on my 18k Superglide? Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote