Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Settle a disagreement please

Karen and I are having a spirited conversation on where our washer/dryer combo drains. I say it drains into the front gray water tank, she says it drains into the black water tank. I remember the service tech telling us that we had to make sure we kept the gray water valve open during operation. She remembers the tech telling her the black water valve had to be open. Sooooo without sitting around all day with both valves open, who is right?

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Steve D

M.O.C. #3969
Our 2006 3475 drains into the black water tank. There is a sticker near the drain that states this.
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Our 2005 3475 drains into the black tank. We emptied them all the first time then watched to see which one filled up first. Don't know where yours does because if I remember correctly everyones seems to drain different.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
So Gary my question to you is haven't you learned to just say yes honey what you are right? Just kidding. I always argue the point with my wife but seem to come up on the short end more often than not. By the way I do not have a washer/dryer in my Montana so I can not help you with your question.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Well we are thinking about putting in a washer/dryer so where does it drain on the 2003 3280RL.It does seem stupid to have it drain into the Black sense it only holds 38 Gal. and most don't leave the black tank open.Duh! You have to have the swish of water to clean out the black tank. It would make more sense to have it dump into the gray tank that holds 78 gal. I just don't know,But if you are running a washer it would make sence to have all the tanks open. Well Shute what do I know?LOL,LOL OH! We leave the Gray and the Galley tanks open all the time and the Black tank closed.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:35 PM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Doug,

I always say "yes dear, whatever you say dear" but this time it was just too tempting.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Since there have been many comments re that question in the past, and diverse answers, looks like the only way to resolve it (for your rig only) is, come next wash day, to drain the grey tank completely and leave the valve open. If the washer rinse water comes out of it during the drain cycle, you know. If it doesn't come out, you also know.

Logic dictates that it would drain into the grey tank....but that isn't always the way it is.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
On our early 2005 3400 it drains into the gray water tank. We leave it open while washing then close it and let it fill a bit before we drain the black, then drain the gray which rinses the hoses. Let us know who is right!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our 3380RL 2004 model drains into the second gray tank. First gray tank is for the kitchen sink, second for the shower and W/D, third for the bathroom sink and commode.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Most drain to the grey tank, but some FL models drain to the black tank. I suppose it is something to do with routing the drains. Keystone guy said to consider it a free flush of the black tank. This does not strike me as a great arrangement, but I suppose as long as you know about it, and keep the drain open while washing, there should be no real problem, but if you forget...Look out! As mentioned above, run a test and find out for sure.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #11
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
ours in the 3400rl drains to the black tank. Experience has proven this and yes I did more than once leave it closed and it backed up. They say it provides a flush for the black tanks and you should never use the washer unless you are hooked to sewer with black tank open.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #12
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Mine drains into the gray water tank,the same one that the shower and bed room sink drain into.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:53 AM   #13
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
When we bought the Monty I "assumed" the w/d drained to the grey tank and was explained as such during walk through. Wanting to know for sure I tested the tanks and low and behold it drains to the black tank. We do not have a w/d so it is not a big deal, but I do know.

As far as the why I think my particular unit it is set up this way....
(1) for Keystone it was cost effective to set it up this way as the w/d connection is about 12" from the toilet. Even though PVC is a relative cheap item some bean counter has figured out how much money Keystone can save by using a couple feet less pipe per unit.
(2) some design engineer figured that the average camper will not use the w/d without having full hook ups so why spend the extra money to pipe it to the grey tank.
(3) with the extra volume and high flow rate it is a good way to keep the solids dispersed in the black tank.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:35 AM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
As long as they don't "disperse" into the rig when it overflows!!!

Seriously, let us know...we have the W/D connections, just don't use them. Nice to know, but I guess the only way is to check out each individual rig. In our FL , the grey tank is aft of our black tank, and the W/D setup is aft of that, so I suspect the grey tank is the one it drains into...we'll see.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:02 AM   #15
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Ours goes into the gray. We checked by using a hose to put water down the w/d drain [when it was new, no waste in any tank] then opening each tank until we found the correct one.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
I hope I'm doing this right. I never get a chance to post as Gary is always on the site! As Steve D. indicated, I looked on the wall next to my washer drain. Low and behold, there is a sticker indicating that the unit drains into the black water tank. I promise I won't hold this over Gary's head!

Karen
Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Why not, Karen? What an opportunity! Score one for the ladies!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sure glad ours drains into the gray tank. If it drained into the black tank we'd have to keep the black tank valve open when multiple wash loads are planned. I'm afraid I would not be very happy with that setup.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #19
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
I don't suppose it really makes any difference to me which one it is connected to. Either way, I would still need to keep a tank open to the sewer line. I did notice a sewer odor every once in a while yesterday when I did the laundry. It would most likely come in through either tank line. At least I know I don't have to keep both of them open unless I want to.

Hey Judy - I was just kidding. I'll make the most of this one!!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #20
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We also have a washer/dryer unit and it does go into the Gray. We have a Black (for Bathroom) a Gray (for Shower) and a Galley ( for the Kitchen sink). Probably not all units are the same, but that is what our's does. Should always keep the black tank closed until it is close to full...Pressure and the chemicals are the reason.....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote