Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Converter Smoked

My converter made a noise and then blew smoke out the vent.I have one to pick up and am leaving work early to install. I am going to buy a surge protector because I think the microwave is out also. Has anyone else had this happen?

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Haven't had that happen to us, yet. The surge protector is a great thing to have. However, the converter could have gone out for something other than a surge. Check all the circuits good. If you have an electrician friend, it might be a good idea to have him look at it.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Just for your info:

I had a circuit "fry" itself in July when I connected to a non-RV park outlet. The symprom was as you described, but the converter itself did not fail. The "fried" circuit was obvious when I pulled the panel off and pulled the converter and CB panel out. Rewired that complete circuit (no small job..had to drop two belly panels), BUT..the converter itself was OK.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I replaced the converter last night and all was OK, all the 12volt circuits were working, until I turned on th Air Conditioner and the converter blew smoke again. I am going to call Keystone and see what the suggest because they replaced the AC unit last year. I am also getting shocked when I touch the negative terminals on the battery even though I have the positive disconnected. Something strange is going on.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Definitely "something strange". Time for some pro help, m'thinks. Good luck!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #6
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Well, we found out what the problem was and is. I am in Laplace Louisiana near New Orleans and because of the Hurricane you can not find a campsite here so I am located in a fellow workers back yard and he had run new power from an existing breaker box outside at the pole for our trailer. The problem is that they didn't connect the neutral wire to the neutral bus at the breaker box so the return path was through ground. I don't know how anything was working but it did for almost two weeks. That is why I was getting shocked when I touched the negative battery terminal. Now I have to install another converter for another $240 or so. Beware of new shore power installations unless you have a special meter to check it with or have a line protector.