Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
fridge fan makes a noise sometimes

Fridge makes a noise sometimes. We shut it off and turn it back on and it is OK for a while. It is on electric. Gas is not turned on. We are taking it to have screen door adjusted this winter and will have them look at fridge then. I am sure it will make the noise if they plug it in for a little while. We are going on a mini vacation Friday and it just started doing this. It seems to be working OK. Sounds like a noisy fan or something. Is there something we could check ourselves before we leave Friday?
Dusty and Don

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Not sure if this is true in your case, but our fridge is in a slide, and has a thermostatic fan that comes on when the temperature in the vent stack is hot enough. Could that be what you are hearing? Ours is not very loud, so perhaps you have defective fan.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes ours is in the slide. After talking to Montana dealer techs, One told me we didin't have a fan in there but I knew we did because I could hear it. The Montana place we are taking it said to go ahead and take it out for July 4th and see what happens. He said to bring it in after that and they would check it out. He said it may be insulation around the fridge making it too warm. Sure sounds like that may be the case because it only did it when we put some things in it.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dusty, you have the same model as us and OntMont is right. There's a thermostatic fan in the vent above the fridge, if I recall where it is. Take the outside covers off and I think you can see it in there. I think all the units with the refrigerator in the slide have this because they cannot have a roof vent so the hot air needs a little help getting out of there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks ... we will do this after the holiday. It was a really hot day when it was doing the noise. Fridge keeps cooling. A little cool but working. Has not done this since that hot day. I am going to have Don look at it next week.
Thanks again.
Dusty
Old 07-04-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chances are the fan only comes on when it's hot outside. Thus I'd bet on the fan being noisy. It may need replacing or maybe there's a way to lube its bearings.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote