Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 02:38 AM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I know, we all LOVE our Montanas, Mountaineers and Big Sky (now Cambridge)

but, doesn't Keystone make a toy hauler?? The Raptor?? You put the bike, 4 wheelers, etc, INSIDE, no rain, no mud, no extra trailer, TONS of room for all the extra gear the toy requires.

I always thought a toy hauler would make the perfect dog show rig, crates in the back, plumb it for dog bathes, lots of room for food, and gear. I did one show in a hotel, 5 dogs, had a cooler/frig for the special food, a microwave to heat the food, the crates for 5, grooming table, good clothes for the show ring, regular clothes, extra of everything, meds for the dogs, the list is HUGE. If, I had continued, I would have had to consider a toy hauler, even tho I am no longer in that sport, the possibilities are exciting.

Anyway, those big bikes would fit back there just FINE!

Just a thought!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #22
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Your right AL,

There are actually many manufacturers out there making Toy Haulers and they have a lot of takers. We have looked at many over the past 10 or more years and they all seem to have the same draw back. They don't have that residential feel. When your sitting in the living room area we really feel enclosed because of the solid back wall between the garage and the living room. Unless you go to a high dollar unit like Alfa, you really don't get nice interiors like we have either.

The other issue is length. Imagine adding another 10' of length to your rig. Now that would be a load, and now think about what 10' would you guys would be willing to give up in your rig. I'd bet your not ready to give up an inch of your beautiful Monty.

We have had to make the best compromise for us, which is our wonderful floor plan with a residential feel and loading the bike in the Truck bed.

Actually it's not too bad a deal. I mounted a winch in the front of the Truck bed. I purchased an 8' long piece of 12" x 1/2" thick channel Aluminum, made and attached a steel lip which gets pinned to the rear of the bed, and use two 2"x12"x8' wood ramps also pinned to the bed. I straddle the bike and have the Alum. ramp take the weight of the Bike and use the wood ramps for my feet. The winch pulls me right up into a cradle I made which is bolted to the bed and the Bike locks into it. I think I could roll the Truck and the Bike would stay in the bed. Don't want to find out though. "LOL" I have used this ramp & cradle in both the last two Trucks with a couple of different Bikes since 1988. So far so good. I use the Armor All Car Wash Wipes when we arrive at our destination and in just a few min. we're ready to ride.

This turned out to be the best of both worlds for us. Our love for RVing and our passion for Motorcycles which goes back over 30 years now. In case your wondering, yes we have managed to keep the Bikes shinny side up and the rubber side down for over 300,000 total mi. in about 40 States, 5 Can. Provinces and Mexico.

Hope to meet you at the 05 Rally,

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 PM   #23
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
A surprise to realise that 150 days have gone by ...
As others have we added a hitch to the back of our rig that has a 5x10 V-Nose Haulmark that has our V-Twin enclosed. We are on our way to Myrtle Beach for bike week. If you see us there or elsewhere we will be on our Pearl White, Flags & Flames custom paint job, '98 H-D Road King. We spent the last 6 months on the Gulf Coast of AL putting 6000 miles, very enjoyable miles on our new ride. In the mostly interstate driving we have done with our new convoy since 3 May all that has been required is a small, mostly visual, adjustment. Happy to tell you that. Had my concerns. (((Knocking on wood))) """"praying""""
Say Hey if you see us!
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:12 AM   #24
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I tow a bass boat behind my Monty. Installed the hitch myself and so got a chance to take a good look at the frame. While I'm sure Keystone uses as heavy a frame as most manufacturers, I sure wasn't impressed.

I've been around metal fab for most of my life and there is no way I'd install a motorcycle lift on the back of my Monty (and I'd love to be able to take my goldwing along). The frame just isn't strong enough. I run about 125lbs of tongue weight on the bass boat and I go as far as making sure the 5'ers water holding tank is empty when I tow to help compensate.

My Monty is still under warranty and I realize that Keystone isn't going to fix any problems that can be attributed to my towing the additional trailer. It's a chance I decided to take.

BTW; I installed a rear view camera on the back of the Monty so that I can monitor the boat and trailer. It is also really helps to let me know when a lane change is appropriate. I feel that it was money well spent.

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #25
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
Our hitch installer was impressed by the frame. We did have to move slightly forward the rear stabilizers to accomodate the install and the hitch was welded as well as bolted together.
Tell me more about your camera set-up. We have a reflector on a plastic stick mounted on the top frame of the Haulmark that is positioned for me to see 55' forward in my side view mirror. Works well; 2 bucks. Did have a 12" fisheye mirror mounted to the ladder but at that distance was unsure of the M/C trailer being there. Can see the bouncing red ball easily.
Had a great time at MB. Are now at the north end of the OBX staying with friends parked next to their home. Looking forward to this Nor'Easter departing and the weather improving...tomorrow.
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #26
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Here in Texas, we have stores called Harbor Freight. They typically sell black and white outdoor night vision "security cameras" for $29. They come with an 80' cable and a 120V cube power supply. I have mounted it to the rear ladder and routed the cable underneath the 5th wheel and up to the hitch pin - the cable is really 4 conductor telephone cable. I then terminated it with a typical square surface mount phone jack and ran another wire into the pickup truck.

www.geek.com sells a 5" LCD game player monitor for $39.99 + shipping. I also comes with a 100W inverter that will power the monitor and the camera.

The bottom line is that it works GREAT - even at night!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote