Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Water Pump Question

Our water pump is the original, about 7 or 8 years old now. I cannot find any leaks at all. When the pump is on, occasionally it will cycle for no reason at all for a brief moment, then shut off once again. Can a pump just get old and not hold pressure like it did when new? I did add an expansion tank a few years ago for better performance.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There is a check valve in the water line to hold pressure after the pump shuts off. If the check valve begins to leak a little and lose pressure the pump will kick back on to bump the pressure back up. Or there could be a slight leak somewhere else in the water system. Sometimes mine will kick on for a few seconds, but most of the time not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Generally short cycling is the result of a leak or seep somewhere no matter how small ... since you haven't located one, there is a repair kit for the pumps available. It kind of a triple chamber valve deal. Since pumps aren't all that expensive and you say yours is 7 - 8 years old ... I'd just spring for a new pump.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you are going to work on your pump I would suggest an accumulator tank also. It prevents the short cycle when the faucet is just partly open. Lowes and Home Depot have 2 gal ones much cheaper than the 1 gal from camping world.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
My first guess would be a small leak somewhere in a water line, or possibly a drippy faucet. The second place I would suspect would be the water pump itself, however, depending on use they do wear out.