Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2004, 04:22 AM   #1
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
Cold Shower

When we use the shower we turn it off to conserve water while soaping up. When I turn it back on the water is ice cold for a few seconds then heats back up. Any suggestions on a fix for this problem.

Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:35 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ours does same, did in the TT before this unit, I believe it is the way they are designed?? Our fix, hold that shower head AWAY from the body till it equalizes.

This may have been discussed before here in the forum, have you tried using the search engine?? Maybe I need to review too, in case someone had a fix I forgot about.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:51 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Ours does the same and like countryguy says I just hold it away from me for a few seconds.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:34 AM   #4
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
It is just the nature of the beast. We have a similar type hand-held shower head in our regular house. It does the same thing, just point away for a few seconds and it will return to what the temperature is set.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:25 AM   #5
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
What is happing is that while you are soaping the water cools and you feel the effect of it.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Dick n Marie - The fix is to hold shower head away from body until water warms up (usually just a few seconds). Think this is a common issue with many "military" shower users.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #7
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
Another shower issue that is fun, have the campground shut the water off while you are in the shower washing your hair, and have soap all over you. Plus you procrastinated (my favorite pass-time) adding water to the fresh water tank (it is empty). So your wife is handing you (while laughing) bottled water, at least enough to get most of the soap off until the water is back on.........
Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:05 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Our Jayco was just the opposite, when you turned the water back on it was hot,hot,hot. I don't know which is worse, parboiled or frostbite.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Hi...we have the Artic Pkg, but Keystone's idea of "Artic Pkg." is not ours. So hubby insulated EVERY water pipe he could get at and that seemed to solve cold water problems. Did both hot & cold water lines.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:23 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
OOPS! LOL That would not be fun in any way, shape or form. Please tell me it wasn't bottled water from the fridge.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Southstl

Another shower issue that is fun, have the campground shut the water off while you are in the shower washing your hair, and have soap all over you. Plus you procrastinated (my favorite pass-time) adding water to the fresh water tank (it is empty). So your wife is handing you (while laughing) bottled water, at least enough to get most of the soap off until the water is back on.........
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:25 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I don't shut the water off any more while showering and soaping up for this very reason (bursts of cold). I have gotten a 3 minute shower down to a science. LOL Farting around with the water takes longer than soaping up and rinsing off.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:59 AM   #12
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dick n Marie

When we use the shower we turn it off to conserve water while soaping up. When I turn it back on the water is ice cold for a few seconds then heats back up. Any suggestions on a fix for this problem.
The back of our showerhead has a cap that turns allowing you to stop the flow of water without touching the faucet adjustments. This seems to work well for us..
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #13
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
ours does the same thing. i didnt have this problem in my cougar i had, but i sure do in the Mountaineer. i havent looked into the cause yet, but am sure the water isnt cooling in the pipes that fast. its as if the cold water is filtering back into the hot water heater through the hot water line.
if i find a fix ill post it
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:39 PM   #14
Montana_682
Established Member

M.O.C. #682
I installed a regular house water pic shower, the hose screws right on where you take off the rv type one works great and with a 10 gal water heater we get 3 showers out of one tank even though there is only 2 of us
Montana_682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:56 AM   #15
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
jerrbaugh
Who gets the third shower?
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #16
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
As was mentioned just using the on-off on the back of the shower head helps a lot and LEAVE THE FAWCET KNOBS ALONE.

Another thing we learned to conserve water when boondocking is as follows:

When you get into the shower take a plastic gallon pail along with you.

Then turn on the water and adjust it to the proper temperature running it through the hose and shower head catching both the cold and warm water in the pail. Before the pail is full you will have the shower head at the correct temperature.

Then shut off the water with the control at the back of the shower head. Hang up the shower hose etc.

The water in the bucket will be warm and adequate using a wash cloth for soaping up body and hair if you wish. Pour remaining water in bucket down your back. (feels great)

Then take the shower head and hose and turn on the control on the back of it and rinse off the soap and etc. The water temperature should be about right and if you move right along it only takes about another gallon for the rinse process. Then you imagine that you have been in the shower for a half hour and feel wonderful. Then shut the water off at the fawcet using the knobs.

In the process you don't endure any cold water shock on your tender body and you conserve water and grey tank capacity thereby extending your boondocking duration an extra day or so.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:32 AM   #17
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Random Line

As was mentioned just using the on-off on the back of the shower head helps a lot and LEAVE THE FAWCET KNOBS ALONE.

Another thing we learned to conserve water when boondocking is as follows:

When you get into the shower take a plastic gallon pail along with you.

Then turn on the water and adjust it to the proper temperature running it through the hose and shower head catching both the cold and warm water in the pail. Before the pail is full you will have the shower head at the correct temperature.

Then shut off the water with the control at the back of the shower head. Hang up the shower hose etc.

The water in the bucket will be warm and adequate using a wash cloth for soaping up body and hair if you wish. Pour remaining water in bucket down your back. (feels great)

Then take the shower head and hose and turn on the control on the back of it and rinse off the soap and etc. The water temperature should be about right and if you move right along it only takes about another gallon for the rinse process. Then you imagine that you have been in the shower for a half hour and feel wonderful. Then shut the water off at the fawcet using the knobs.

In the process you don't endure any cold water shock on your tender body and you conserve water and grey tank capacity thereby extending your boondocking duration an extra day or so.
Random Line, I was begining to think I was the only one with an on/off on the shower head. Thanks for the bucket tip (no pun intended) as we boon dock almost all the time when out.
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:40 AM   #18
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Is it possible to remove the shower's faucet assembly without disconnecting the hot/cold supply lines?

If so, it might be possible to install a one way valve in the hot water line that would keep the cold water from filling the hot water line when the shower head cutoff is used.

Has anyone done this or otherwise have an opinion they'd like to share?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:07 AM   #19
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Seems like you could do that if you are not hooked to City water and the electric pump is not turned on.]
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Has anyone ever figured out the cause of the cold water problem? We've had that in both our Montanas but not in our prior two fifths of different brand. As was said, no way does the water cool down that much in a few seconds. I've never figured this out but did learn to just get out of the way when turning the shower head back on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote