Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
MOCTap List help

I don't know where to put this, so ADMIN, move as necessary.

I was looking at a link posted, MOCTap, that has a thread titled "MOCTap List." I really do understand that this is a great, great idea.

Then, as I'm looking at the list, all I see are links to PM or Email other members for help when you may be stranded. I personally have a concern with that. When I am stranded, I will not have access to the Internet and the links would be useless to me. I have downloaded that page and maybe, just maybe I can call 411 and information will give me a phone number. However, I would also have to know a name to ask for and most of the links are "userid's."

I see a problem here for those of us that do not have air-cards (another good excuse (reason) to get one, I guess)

Question:
Would it be possible to post phone numbers? I'm in the white pages, so listing my phone number is not going to have any adverse affect on me.

Any other suggestions?

HELP!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I'm with Waynem here. I would not mind having my phone numbers and address published on our site.

Semper Fi * no man left behind.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
rwellesley
Established Member

M.O.C. #7799
I agree Waymen, my address and phone number is already available on the internet and in the phone book.
rwellesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Same here. You need phone numbers and names. I'll furnish mine.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The big problem with phone #s is you have how many #s and its going to ring at the wrong time always ,, you have home #s cell #s away homes are no good to call so its you cell so you are at a church and you shut it off thats no good or at a restraunt or bus meeting , lots of things yhat the air card is better as you can get many dif ideas to fix , i think its better on the computer john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
If you are not a member of MOCTAP then you should go to the MOCTAP thread and follow the instructions to join. You must first be a member of the MOC.

It is the policy at this time to NOT post phone numbers or addresses. As with all things we are constantly evaluating our policies.

Thank you for your concern and by all means get your name on the MOCTAP list.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
RV Wheels,
I for one am on the MOCTap list. Thanks for you for your post and your endeavors on this forum.

John(Sailer),
I agree with you that having an air card would be the better solution. However, there are many out there for one reason or another, some financial, that will not get an air card. I am seriously considering it before my next big trip.

However, with phone number contacts, at least there is typically a phone mail associated with the number. Yes, some may not look at it until the next day, etc., but most of us travel in the daylight hours and the unavailability of members would be pretty slim.

On thing about contacting a member, even if he is on travel, is that he will know the area. He may even have acquaintances that could come to assist. He may know of a local dealer or automotive shop that would work on RV's. The MOCTap person could recommend many things by phone, even if he himself were not in the area.

Just trying to cover all the bases.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Wayne,

This is kind of "off thread" but yesterday Doug and I went to Sprint/Nextel (our cell phone providers) and "purchased" an air card. They are currently having a rebate special and the aircard costs just the price of the stamp for the mail in rebate. Further, as we are current customers, the monthly aircard fee is $20.00 cheaper ($59.99) than if we were new customers/getting just the aircard. Not CHEAP but it provides for unlimited connection at broadband/DSL speeds wherever there is cellphone service. While wi-fi access is becoming more common (free or paid) at campgrounds we've decided to try it out to see if having the aircard is worth it. (Oh, there is a 30 day no obligation trial period. If anytime during the 30 days we decide we don't like/want the service we can return it and only pay for the 30 days (or prorated) use.

Back "on thread" I like the idea of having a resource of fellow MOCers if/as "stuff" happens on the road. My only issue/concern is having my phone numbers "on the net" as we use our cell phones almost exclusively and (at least right now) those numbers are not listed and I'm not getting unsolicited/unwelcomed calls that eat up my minutes. Heck, for that matter, I'm not sure my "landline" is even listed as its part of my cable t.v. package...will have to look in the whitepages on the internet.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
It's against the law for telemarketers to call cell phones.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Robin,
I don't have a problem with purchasing the air card. My problem right now is a contract with Southwest Bell(AT&T) for dsl at the stick house. Once that contract is over with I will get the air card. I may just bite the bullet and cancel the contract.

If you have call forwarding, you don't have to give out your cell number. I just call forward the stick house number to my cell. I can do that remotely when I'm on the road, should I decide to transfer it to my son's house or anywhere.

I have not had any solicitation calls on the cell phone. I do get an occasional one on the stick house number, but immediately tell them to put me on their "do not call," list. They have to have a list. It's the law. Of course, all bets are off on political advertisements.

Also, those that don't want their cell or stick house listed, would not have to sign up for it.

If there was a web page with phone numbers, all a member would have to do is "save page as," and it would be in their computer for easy reference. Whenever they get "air time," they could refresh and save the page for any changes.

Anyhow - it was just a thought and it would be up to the administrator to set something up like that. What RV Wheels posted indicates that it will not be done soon, if at all.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Wayne,

Ohhhh, I get it (about the air card and dsl at home).

Never thought about call forwarding. Gotta love this forum I learn stuff all the time!

The political stuff made us a bit crazier than normal this past fall...funny how they legislated that little loop hole!

Maybe an alternative to posting on the web could be letting the rest of the MOC members know where you are headed on any given trip and then those individuals near/on the route line or in the area(s) they are going can email/PM their contact information? Then they can develop an itinerary specific "helping hands" list? Presuming the trip is a long one (distance and/or time) the posts can be done in increments as the trip progresses...

Robin
Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by eeoski

Wayne,

Further, as we are current customers, the monthly aircard fee is $20.00 cheaper ($59.99) than if we were new customers/getting just the aircard.

Robin
Robin, some time last year Verizon dropped the $20 differential. We have a Cingular cell phone, no verizon, and pay the same $59.99 you do for our monthly aircard service. What you stated used to be correct, though. I just wanted to comment on the current policy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Hummm, I use sprint for my aircard and it's 53.99. good coverage too!!
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Jim,

They must like you better! :-)

Steve,

I figure "special" that is quoted is a short term thing to "hook" you in...most people can usually negotiate even the special for our current customers only specials if they are persistent enough. I can only hope that the prices will continue to reduce as more people use the aircards. (No, I am not holding my breath! A girl can dream can't she!?)

Regardless, it all boils down to what you are willing/able to spend for what you want/would like to have at any given moment.

Robin
Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I stopped at several booths in the mall for the different providers. They all gave me $59.95 as the monthly. the price of the air card was different depending on the rebate.