Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
221 West Bahama

Yesterday was beautiful here on the Island, the Sun was playing peek-a-boo, the temperature in the high 70’s, a wonderful wind blowing. I was touring the Island on my bicycle, a practice I maintain here, and highly recommend to all.
The beauty of it, is when doing so, your senses have time to take everything in. You hear snippets of conversation when passing people and homes, you can smell the flowers and blooms on bushes. It can be a soothingly quiet experience, with the wind blowing the Palms and tropical greenery, the ocean waves breaking on the beach. Some may take for granted that there are no train noises, no super highway, with it’s 18 wheelers lumbering at 70 miles an hour, no airport noise, only an occasional light plane and our beautiful Coast Guard jet and helicopter. I look skyward when I hear them and smile, it’s comforting to know that they are there, doing their selfless work for all of us.
On the bay side, I traveled down the many short side streets, pedaling slowly along looking from side to side at the diverse homes, apartments, condo’s, estates, and villa’s. Most were quiet, some people were home, a couple going through the garage, seeking that elusive box with the tax information in it, two men in a yard, one working a metal detector, slowly sweeping the base in circles. Maybe they will find a Gold coin, but my money would be on one of the Billion pop-tabs one often finds with such a device.
I was on West Bahama street, I noticed on the right, a beautiful home with a pool house, a couple inside, the lady reclining on a chair while the man was fixing a drink. I thought, lucky people. They probably don’t know how lucky they are.
I got to the end and noticed a large home on my left. The yard was fenced, of course, with beautiful well maintained trees and shrubs. I could see a boat house, tile roof…., a pool and the three story home. Just beautiful, it was even for sale. I wondered how much they would ask for such a beautiful home on the bay.
As I worked my way up the street, I saw a box on the fence with information sheets in it.
I was wrong, it was not a house, it was an estate….
My home here is 400 square feet. It’s pretty nice, as far as that goes, I have a computer desk, large windows for the ocean breezes to blow into, a nice fake fireplace, washer and dryer and a comfy reclining loveseat…oh and my remote.
Well, the estate is 7,000 Sq. feet. What the heck would I do with 7,000 square feet?? It sits on a $401,696.00 lot!
As you might imagine, the home is ‘tricked out’ with an elevator, movie theater, (trumps my remote and reclining loveseat) gym, steam showers….don’t they produce electricity with steam? Sounds dangerous to me… 2 kitchens, (I guess rich people eat a lot.)
It was breath taking, but if I owned it, I would just worry about everything associated with it, a good pool boy, a good landscaper, a good plumber…2 kitchens, 5 bathrooms; (rich people must have to potty a lot also.)
As I was pedaling down the street, I figured I was actually the lucky one, I was in the Sun, the breeze blowing the Palm trees, the quiet hum of my tires.
My biggest decision was which bar I would stop at, that had the coldest beer.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
AH! Life is good, is it not?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet, Phil.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Have a beer for me as I am at work..... But watching tv and surfing the net..
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
OZZ: You mentioned the price of the lot was $401,696.00. Was that with or without buildings and everything else?? Maybe we better look around a little more before we jump in to buying anything. Sounds nice though, compared to the weather and temps we have been having here in N.E. Iowa. Lots of fog here as some of the warmer weather hit us with snow cover on the ground. Zero visability. 30's for temps today. Have fun and enjoy everything. We are thinking about you down there..JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Much like the typical RV park where the people in the 20' TT appear to be just as happy if not more so and seem to actually enjoy the outdoors more than the people in the half million dollar motor home.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
What's the title of your novel?
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
$2,950,000... Includes Pontoon boat and house full of furniture, Taxes are only $24,000 a year...
I am heading out now for another ride. JB, just stay inside where it's warm, I'll have a cold one for you and Waldo238.
Bill, I think it depends on the person, but I worked on a rich man's home 2 years ago, all Summer, installed security systems, had lawn landscaped, wired up many circuits and repaired all his low voltage lighting, he was the most unhappy man I have ever seen, he had kicked the dope habit, and was struggling with alcoholism. Had a trophy wife he couldn't stand and did not respect. Fired a house keeper once a month same with the personal Chief. I lasted the Summer before he became unhinged on me.
Lisa, I am too impatient for a novel, maybe I will just staple all my essay's together.....
Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Ozz, I'm sure there is a publisher out there just waiting on your novel. Whoever it is will hit a gold mine with all of your memoirs. I hope they start publishing soon as I can hardly wait to hear the REST OF THE STORIES and buy your first release.. Go ahead and have that beer for me as I haven't had one for the last 24 years. Quit drinking and smoking the same night cold turkey. Went to the hospital the next night as I was so sick my stomach tore loose inside. I sure save a lot of money since that day and haven't regretted a thing....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good for you JB, it wouldn't hurt a thing if I sipped soda pop. I am lucky in knowing when to stop, I also quit when eating lunch or dinner. I will leave a half beer if I start eating, just don't like to drink (beer) and eat.
You guys are nice people, thanks for the kind words. You are neighbors of ours just North of our home state, Missouri.
We are in K.C. up by the airport.
Ozz
Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Ozz, if you can live the life, as did Hemmingway, without having to sit inside and write books, do so. Keep the essays coming though. We are south-east of KC if you recall. Your stick house had 38/ cloudy/ light rain today. The sun crept under the clouds to share a little light just before it settled somewhere in Kansas. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote