Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Montana_1302
Established Member

M.O.C. #1302
Generator

We are planning a trip to Alaska next summer and were wondering if we needed to get a generator to carry along with us?
If so, I had planned to get 2 of the Honda 2000 units with the adapter to essentially make them 1 unit or the EU3000.
Regardless of what I eventually go with could I put them (it?) in the compartment behind the hitch and run them there without having to worry about exhaust fumes coming into the unit? Most of the units I've seen that have a built in generator don't appear to have any elaborate exhaust which is why I'm asking. I do understand that I will need to do something to get them some air.

Thanks

Montana_1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We have a Honda EM3000, A little louder then the EU3000 68dBa compared to 58dBa. But the EM3000 only weights 68 lbs compared to the 129 lbs for the EU3000. I wouldn't run either of them inside a compartment under the Montana. I'd worry about them getting too hot for one thing. I just lock & chain ours to something under the trailer when we need it. Been as light as it is, it is easy to lift in & out of the front compartment. Would be nicer if it was a little quieter but generators are generators. I don't know if running 2 - 2000's at one time would be any quieter or not. Don't really like using them but are nice to have when necessary.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
From March until September this year we traveled from Georgia to Texas to Alaska and back. We took one Honda EU2000 but never fired it. I took it as a precaution as we never boondock but it just wasn't necessary. On you second question, the 2000 is so light that you can easily lift it in and out of the compartment if you choose to use it. We certainly did not need two Eu2000's as there was no need for the air conditioner except maybe 3 or 4 days in Fairbanks in late June. Sure hope you enjoy your trip, we found it to be a place to which we want to return in a year or so for another visit.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The only time I needed my Kipor 2000, I did what most of us do with the light units, take it out of the compartment & chain it to the truck or trailer.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the heaver Kipor 3000 (132 lbs same as the Honda 3000) we keep it in the rear of the truck just in case but have never used it for camping.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:15 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have the same gen as Rich. Needed it unexpectedly twice, living FT since July 20. "Invaluable" does not come close to my feelings about my Kipor 3000ti. Second to my wife, I would not go on a long excursion with my Montana without it. Rides in the back of the truck (cable/padlock) and is attached to my back stabilizer when camping w/ the same cable/lock.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve and Kathy,

I think both of your selections are excellent choices. They have proven track records as shown in these posts and are extremely efficient.

However, I wouldn't run either in the compartment. You run the risk of carbon monoxide buildup as well as fire from heat or fuel leaks. They need to be outside or in the pickup bed. Our built in LP system has a separate heat shield enclosure, exterior ventilation grille installed in the cabinet door, and even though the exhaust doesn't look sophisticated, it directs all exhaust out through the bottom and out the side beyound the body of the Monty to prevent buildup of CO.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Montana_1302
Established Member

M.O.C. #1302
Thanks for all the replys. I like the idea of just keeping it (them) in the truck bed.
Montana_1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We have a Yamaha 2400is. It is mounted on a slide-out in the port side compartment, and works very well. We used it a lot on our Alaska trip. While there is no shortage of campgrounds with hookups, there are also many beautiful national and provincial campgrounds up there with no hookups.
I don't think it is a good idea to run the generator inside a compartment--too much risk of carbon dioxide getting inside the coach.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Steve and Cathy, I think that, while having your gen in the truck bed is a good idea while traveling, it may not not be safe there in a Walmart/Costco parking lot. I have been cautioned about doing this from someone on here (can't remember who, now) a while ago. Even chained or cabled is potentially risky in these parking lots while on day trips. Maybe someone here could dispell, or confirm, that advice...

However, it is a great place to carry the 3000 gen while towing...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:11 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I believe anything as valuable as a generator should be kept out of sight when you are not around. Padlocks and cables take a well equipped thief abbout 10 seconds to remove.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
If you have a locking tailgate like on our Ford F-350, you can put the genny behind the hitch and lock the tailgate. You cannot get it out (at least ours) without putting the tailgate down or unhitching. I am sure, however that if someone wants it bad enough they could break the tailgate somehow.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #13
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have this one:

Quote:
quote:

EF3000iSEB

Yamaha 3000watt Consumer Inverter Generator

With Boost Control Unit (BCU) technology, the EF3000iSEB utilizes power from its 12 volt battery producing surge power comparable to a 3500watt generator. At only 151 lbs., the EF3000iSEB is the perfect solution for your portable power needs.

THE BEST BOOST OUT THERE — YAMAHA EF3000iSEB
EF3000iSEB

For that needed kick from an inverter model, this innovative model has you hit the ground running. The "B" at end of the EF3000iSEB model stands for Yamaha Boost TechnologyT. When used with your recreational vehicle, the iSEB's Boost Control Unit automatically knows when more power is required and uses its internal 12-volt battery to supply the power you need. The added amps come online for a 3000-watt output for 10 seconds, making it par with a more powerful 3500-watt generator. The easy-start iSEB has a sleek, mobile design, giving it a portability boost, too.
We really like it but have only used it for one camping trip so far. I really liked the color because it matched the Big Sky. I know, I know not important but it was an added plus for me.

We carry it in the bed of the pick up behind the cab on the passenger side.

There is also a kit available somewhere that you can change the fuel source to propane which I would really like to do. It's about $150.00 and would eliminate the need to carry yet another fuel source.

I have to say it is super quiet which is so important when camping/rv-ing especially to your neighbors.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha

I just found this, they now offer a kit to make it work via a remote control. Too cool, another thing for my wish list.

Tri-Fuel Models of Yamaha Generator

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #15
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We put an Onion gen set in the front compartment of our Montana. Went with the LPG model as we had a Diesel truck and an LPG trailer didn't want to pack gas cans. It was 3600 KW and ran every thing we had. We had that generator in four rigs and it never failed us.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #16
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We use the Kipor 3000Ti, low cost and low noise were drivers for purchasing this unit. Trip to Assateaque Island National Seashore, dry camped for full week and even had neighbor tenters tell us they couldn't hear it running! Note the metal pan...we put the genny inside the door of our Monty when traveling (on the pan, just in case it drips something). Very fuel efficient...unit was full of gas and carried a 5 gallon can in truck tool box, returned home after week long trip with gas to spare. Mrs was doing her sewing (two machines) for a dress for our new grand daughter.
Chuck-n-Linda
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We carry our generator (Generac 4000XL) in the back of our truck on those occasions when we think we need to. It is chained to the truck and covered with an inverted platic container to hide it from casual view, as well as to protect it from the weather. Really the only time we use it is when we boondock at the car race track where it is not very noticable even though louder than the Honda EUs.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote