Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 03:40 AM   #1
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
fireplace addition

I just recently installed a free standing cast-iron electric stove (fireplace) in the living room of the rig. It is great and looks like a real wood stove. However, I plugged the fireplace into the receptacle on the back wall which is hooked into the living room 15 amp breaker switch. Whenever I use the coffee make, I have to turn off the fireplace or I will blow the fuse. My 2004 3670RL came prewired to add a fireplace under the TV (which I am not using at this time). My question is for those of you that have a fireplace from the factory, is your fireplace on a seperate breaker switch? I looked at my breaker box and there doesn't appear to be any additional slots for breaker switches. Thanks.

tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Mine is on the same circuit as the microwave. I have to flip the switch on the side of the microwave cabinet to turn on the fireplace and vice versa to use the microwave. I have the same model as you have and love it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #3
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I called montana today and the technician told me the same thing as you just said. I think it's a great idea. I will have an electrician come on out to the trailer and install a new 120V outlet that ties into the wires where the fireplace is supposed to be. I will also have the electrician install the on/off switch so I can use it on that breaker. Thanks for the information. This helps a lot. I really want the fireplace on it's own circuit so I can make coffee and have heat at the same time
Old 09-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Any chance of getting a pic of your new fireplace?? Sounds like a great addition...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
I will try to get a picture up, but first I have to learn how to do it. When I get some time in the future... I am working 11 hour days now and getting my rig ready for cold weather on my own time so hopefully I will be able to figure it out. Picture coming soon...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #6
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I run a new wire to my breaker box and put my fireplace on a circuit by itself.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #7
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
tmarshall: How long is the kayak on top of your truck? I am looking for a way to carry mine.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
DCP: My kayak is an old town castine and is 13'-0" long plus 6" for my rudder. I have the luxury of having a crew cab with a long bed so all I have to do is offset the kayak a little to the front while hitched up. It works great and I have more than 1 ft of clearance even when the truck is jacknifed. I originally bought economy racks for the kayak and they worked great until I got to Wyoming and the wind almost blew the boat right off my truck. I now have Yakima racks and a second boat. My new boat is a current designs kestrel 120 (12'-0"). Next time I travel I will have both boats on top secured to a high quality rack with zero stress. I think the only way you can travel with the boat(s) on top of the vehicle while towing is with a crew cab and long bed. When I get to my final destination, I take the boats off the truck and store them under the back of the trailer next to the rear stabilizer jacks. Not even the wind in Wyoming can blow them away (knock on wood)