Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
WinAnne
Established Member

M.O.C. #5029
Crack under bedroom slide

We are new Montana owners -- earlier this year, we purchased from an individual a very slightly used 2000 3280 RL and are thoroughly enjoying the coach. We pull it with a 2005 Dodge Ram diesel.

After we had used the unit four or five times, we noticed a small crack developing beneath the left corner of the bedroom slide.

What is causing this and what's the best way to have it repaired?

We live in the Mesa, AZ area and need to know who are the best repair people in our area to deal with.

Thanks!

WinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congrats on your Montana and welcome to the forum! Someone will come along and address your problem. There have been some Montanas that have had problems with cracks so someone can report from their firsthand experience. They'll be along soon.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome WinAnne to the MOC family.

The cracking you are experiencing was a problem with the older Montanas and it can be repaired. I would suggest that you give Keystone Customer Service a call at (574) 535-2100 and explain your problem. They will assist you in getting it repaired.

Their hours are...
Monday through Thursday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM EST
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello WinAnne,
We had this problem in our rig. It is a 2003 model 3295RK. It was out of warranty when we noticed the crack. We had been following information about this problem here on the MOC. We took our rig into our dealer who contacted Keystone and they authorized a fix for the problem even though it was out of warranty. You can see the "before" and "after" pictures on the PictureTrail link in my signature. When you get to PictureTrail go to the album named "Generator". In it you will find the pictures.

There are also several threads here on the MOC talking about the problem. Good luck and welcome to the MOC.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Congratulations on getting your Montana. As others have stated, those of us who have experience the "stress cracks" in the fiberglass have been taken care of by Keystone. Their Customer Service has been wonderful. Our rig was four years old when we experience the cracks and they took care of it without costing us a cent. They had us bring our unit to Goshen to the Customer Service center. When you call them, explain your problem (I'm not sure that since you're a second owner whether or not they will do anything). Be courteous and pleasant. If by chance they turn you down, all the "good" Montana dealers know how to fix the cracks.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
They've been taking care of those cracks even for subsequent owners. Worth making a call. Have your vin number handy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Montana_4265

M.O.C. #4265
Hello WinnAnne, I just had the exact stress crack on my 2002 model yr 2955RL repaired today. Keystone told me that they would fix it if I brought it to the plant. They calculate the cost for the repair to be $650 and allow a maiximum $325 credit if repaired elsewhere. Well, I'm in California so guess what route I took. My dealer charged me $54 for the "catscan" (the service writer went out and looked at the crack and said "yea its cracked alright") and another $648 to fix it. It's going to cost me $377. I suppose I should feel greatful for the $325. I think the crack is a result of poor design and engineering and should have been fixed on recall by the company. This is not a random failure in the production of these trailers. I'm not a happy camper.
Montana_4265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
morganm12,
I'd look for another dealer. There has to be an honest one out there somewhere. Our rig was 2 years out of warranty and they took care of everything. I have no idea what Keystone authorized because our dealer did not discuss $$$ with us one it was determined that the company would take care of it. And knowing my dealer...... he did NOT LOSE any money by doing the deal.

If you can wait...... this is truly a cosmetic problem only...... then I think I'd take it into the factory if that is the game the dealers are going to play. And from my perspective the fix could not cost more than the $325. It is a relatively simple process.

HamRad
Old 12-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
Montana_4265

M.O.C. #4265
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

morganm12,
I'd look for another dealer. There has to be an honest one out there somewhere. Our rig was 2 years out of warranty and they took care of everything. I have no idea what Keystone authorized because our dealer did not discuss $$$ with us one it was determined that the company would take care of it. And knowing my dealer...... he did NOT LOSE any money by doing the deal.

If you can wait...... this is truly a cosmetic problem only...... then I think I'd take it into the factory if that is the game the dealers are going to play. And from my perspective the fix could not cost more than the $325. It is a relatively simple process.

HamRad
Well, the crack has been fixed and I must say it looks great. My dealer was Paul Evert's R.V. Country in Fresno, Ca. Shop rate was $108 per hr and 6hrs allowed for the job adds up to $648 less $325 allowed by Keystone left $323 for my cost. By the time I made my post it was already being fixed. If I buy another Montana it won't be from Paul Evert and probably not in California. Dennis, you being from Bakersfield should have heard of the dealership of which I speak. It's pretty big.
Montana_4265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I can't imagine that fix taking anywhere close to six hours! As Dennis said, there have been numerous reports in this forum of Keystone fixing this problem with the older rigs at no charge even after warranty, even for second and third owners.

Also, WinAnne, your 2000 model likely has the older frame that has a potential problem. Call Keystone and give them the VIN and ask if the frame fix has been done on your rig. If not, they've been fixing those, also, just like the stress crack at the corner of the bedroom slide. Those who have had this done tell us the frame is very strong when they get done with the fix. I understand your dealer can do this, also. Keystone's number is (574) 535-2100. Ask for customer service.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
George,
I'm sorry all our information didn't get to you sooner.

Paul has a mixed review on both sales and service. Like you -- we would not buy from him. Actually the first Montana we saw was from his dealership. It was at the Pomona RV show. The sales people actually locked us in the unit while they were trying to make a deal! It was such a high pressure sales rush that we probably would not have taken the unit even if they'd given it to us!

I hope they at least did a good job on the repair of the crack.

I don't want to alarm you but be on the lookout for the actual frame break problem. That would be where the overhang sort of separates from the main frame. That, too, should be covered by Keystone. There have been MANY posts on this subject.

At least it is fixed. Enjoy and hope to see you on the road someday.

HamRad
Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #12
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
WinAnne, sorry to hear about your problems. It would appear that whomever you delt with at Paul Everts RV Country was looking to put a feather in his cap. If it is the way you describe MOC members should stay away from this dealership. I would think Keystone would not be to happy with this kind of treatment to their customers. Sometimes greed prevails.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Interestingly Evert's is one of the best selling Montana dealers on the west coast. At least that is what we were told by our Bakersfield dealer.

HamRad
Old 12-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
For what it's worth, I spoke to Montana about 2 months ago about the crack we have on our 1999 Montana 3350RS. I had first spoken to Rick Drinkwine of Montana in Oct. 2004 after the plant tour at the Rally. At the time the crack was about an inch long and he said to keep an eye on it and call him if it got worse. After our fall trip this year I noticed the crack was about 2 inches long so I called him and sent photos of the crack. He forwarded the message to someone whose name I don't have with me who called me and said that they would cover $325.00 of the repair. When I asked him what the repair would cost, he said that was up to the individual dealers but that it would be in the $800. range. I haven't had it done as we had already put our Montana away for the winter, but if we decide to keep it I guess we'll do it in the spring.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote