Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Electric Heat

A friend told me about a heat strip you could add to the Coleman AC unit so that you could have heat or air. Using the heat strip used the park electric instead of your propane. Does anyone have any experience with this? I will ask my dealer in a couple of weeks when I go to pick up my unit. Having some warranty work done.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
danny, We have the coleman A/C with the heat strip and love it. Right now it and a floor heater is all the heat that we have.It sure helps cut down on propane useage.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
I thought all keystone used was domectic a/c units,sounds like a good idea, you will make the heat feel warmer if you use the blower on low speed, where are these available?
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just be careful that when you are in subfreezing weather the furnace runs enough to keep the pipes in the belly from freezing. We also augment heat with electric heaters to save on propane. We don't have the strip. My understanding is the strip helps on cool days but won't be enough by itself on really cold days. Sure would be nice to take the chill off, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
We added the coleman A/C in the bedroom and it does take the chill off and the floor heater helps keep me from being cold. I am thankful that it is not freezing here I would have to put heaters in the basement.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am having the Dometic low-pro 15K with heatstrip added this spring. Between the fireplace heater and the heatstrip in the bedroom taking the chill off those cool spring and fall mornings should be easy.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:07 AM   #7
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Who carries the heat strips and what are the costs?
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
danny check out this link for the heat strip.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...strip&x=18&y=5
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
While doing a lot of camping this last season and searching for campgrounds we noticed some of our favorite campgrounds had gone up in price. Some had two rates. Reason being electricity. Are we using their electricity too much when we should be using "our" propane. I don't take all my electrical gadgets with me when I camp and use my computer sparingly. I don't like to pay extra for electricity when I know I don't use anymore than I did 5 years ago.
Just a thought.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Carol, If I am just staying overnight or for a week or two I use propane but if I am going to stay months then I won't stay in a park that don't include electric in the monthly price. Here where I am right now propane is $3.39 a gallon. Geeee! That more than Deisel.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

While doing a lot of camping this last season and searching for campgrounds we noticed some of our favorite campgrounds had gone up in price. Some had two rates. Reason being electricity. Are we using their electricity too much when we should be using "our" propane. I don't take all my electrical gadgets with me when I camp and use my computer sparingly. I don't like to pay extra for electricity when I know I don't use anymore than I did 5 years ago.
Just a thought.

Carol
You are right about the price of campgrounds going up.Unfortunately everything, power, water, natural gas, property tax, etc are not what they were five years ago. More and more campgrounds around here are selling out to developers or are going to permanent sites only in a attempt to bring in steady revenue. 20 years ago nearly all campers could plug into 15 or 20 amp service and have plenty left over..now its must have 30 amp and 50 amp service. Times they are a changing...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #12
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I know --- when we renewed our Thousand Trails membership, we paid an extra $24.00 to help pay electrical. Those big motor homes (we had one) need the 50 amp. So I guess all of us are paying for it. What I hate to see (and hear) is one of those big guys running 2 air conditioners full blast and they have left for the day.

Carol

Propane that much ???? Wow, I heat with propane here and wouldn't be able to eat or have lights on if it were that much. Going down to zero tonight again. Too cold too soon.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

I don't take all my electrical gadgets with me when I camp and use my computer sparingly.
I wouldn' worry too much about your electrical gadgets, Carol. Laptops and other plugin devices like them use very minimal energy, campared to electric heaters, fridge and A/C on electric, etc. I would enjoy your gadgets (unless you're talking about your 52' plasma TV ).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think the CG are charging more because they have found so many people do use electric heaters. We've stayed in a couple that ask that question. Also we have never stayed in a CG (in 15 years) on a monthly rate where you didn't pay extra for the electricity. I thought that was pretty standard.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
From what we have seen when you are on a permanent site or a monthly site the sites are metered and you pay for your power as you use it..Our Campers have become huge consumers of power over the last few years and MOST CG now will chage a daily fee for Ac use( around 2.00 is average( can't blame them at all.)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Most CG's we've been on a monthly rate do meter the electrical usage and charge extra for it. However, we have been in a few that do not, including our "home park", the one we are in right now. We pay a flat montly rate that includees electric, water, wi-fi, and comcast cable. However, 50 amp is $25/month more than 30 amp.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I guess I have been pretty lucky then, the park I stay in from April - October charges just a monthly rate. This includes electric, water, sewer and garbage. I did not realize how lucky I am since I thought this was the standard for campgrounds. Guess that tells me I need to get out and travel more. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I don't know, Dave... maybe I'd stay right where are...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:21 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I forgot to say that in our 33 months of fulltiming we have been charged a surcharge for AC exactly twice. I'm surprised more don't charge this extra fee but our experience has been that most parks just raise the overall rate.