Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Gremlin in dash

My 05 GMC 3500 has a problem- The dash guages have become unreliable- The temp guage may register 240 degrees before the engine has been started- The temp guage may not register at all for hours- The temp guage may go all the way to the peg- At no time has the engine been overheated- The ammeter registers all over the spectrum at various times- Uncalled for messages appear on the dash screen at various times- The hours of engine use has reset to zero and began accumulating more hours-Has any GMC owner had a similar problem? My GMC has over 100k on the odometer- I look forward to reading the replies of GM owners- THANX in advance for any and all input- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
This may not apply to your truck, but I had a simular issue with the '97 express van that I drove for the company I worked for. The fix was to take the whole instrument cluster out and send it in for repair. It took something like 3 days with overnight shipping each way. JMHE.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I do not have a GMC but had a simular problem with my Ford. It was a leaking windshield (just had it replaced) and water was leaking down into the fuse block and shorted everything out. Everything went crazy. Just a thought and hope you find the problem.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
I believe the 02-06 Chevy/GMC trucks had a problem with the stepper motors in the instrument cluster. Here is a link to a website that might help to clarify the problem. http://gm-cluster-repair.weebly.com/ I got this website from a friend who had the same problem. You also may be able to google it to get more info. Hope this helps.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I had a problem with the heat gauge and it would alarm and reset like yours. The dealer found that the wireing block was vibrating on the firewall. They removed it, die electric grease and replaced it. no more problems. Although you have other issuses with the cluster so this may not be the problem. Good luck.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
If you Google "GM Instrument Cluster Repair" There will be several places to send your panel in. Supposed to be much cheaper than the dealers.

tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Check with the GMC dealer near you and see if there was a recall on the gauges. My 05 Tahoe had gauge problems and they took care of it under warranty.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I got a letter from GM on my 03 Chevy that extended the warranty on the instrument cluster for problems like that. I had a problem with the tachometer and it was covered, so I would give GM a call and check with them before you have any repairs made.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Don I had a 04 chevy company truck and the speedometer did that and we had a rash of 03 to 05 or 06 trucks that we had to send the cluster off to be repaired. I saw a guy in the CG in Tn last month and he was having the same problem with his 04. What I found out is GM has to do it they don't trust anyone to reset the mileage you can get someone to remove it but GM has to reset it IIRC.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
First off, before doing anything with the gages, check your batteries. Make sure the connections are clean and not corroded, plus the batteries are both good. The batteries should not be connected when tested because that can give a false reading. If everything checks out OK with the batteries, then the probable issue is the cluster. Each gage uses a stepper motor. If you handy/mechanically inclined, you can buy the stepper motors from EBay for under $20 each, or you can send the cluster in for rebuild/replacement (some places rebuild yours and others simply send out a replacement).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
GM replaced the the inst cluster in my 03 Yukon because of a recall. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote