Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
We were in las vegas temp 110 degrees could only get indoor temp down to 90 degrees. We only have 1 air conditioner. Fantastic fan in bedroom. Went to costco purchased LG portable 8000 btu unit. Now get trailer down to 72 degrees with both units running. It actually gets cold at night in san antonio. My wife says she does nit like the exhaust vent sticking out the window but she does like the cold air. BTW how much air should be coming thru the duct work?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:02 AM   #22
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuquatj View Post
If it gets really hot, running all 3 keeps it nice and cool.

I have the third AC installed, but running 3 at the same time seems iffy at best. Two of those have to be on the same breaker. (pardon me if I get the phrasing wrong.) My bedroom and my 3rd generally can't be on AC mode at the same time without the breaker tripping. (My main is on a different one.)

Did my dealer install this poorly? I really wanted to be able to run 3 at once. I got some line about how that wasn't electrically possible. I wonder if I was being stupid by not pushing back?

I have a 2018 3950BR. It's ok to call me stupid, just so long as you also tell me how to fix this.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #23
fuquatj
Established Member

M.O.C. #19619
Bierp, my 3921FB has the on-demand water heater that operates with gas only. The electric panel had an unused 20 amp breaker that would have been used for the water heater if it had been the gas/electric type. When the dealer installed my 3rd A/C they connected it to that unused breaker. That's the reason I can run all three units. at once.
fuquatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #24
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Thanks fuquatj. That does seem to be my issue. I've added a washer and a dryer and my board is full.

I wonder if I can get a bigger converter? Alternatively, I have a 20 amp breaker dedicated to the vacuum, which rarely gets used. (We have a Dyson we use on 120v.) I wonder if we could put the 3rd AC on that breaker and just manually manage it with the vacuum?

That's on the other 50 amp 'master' side, which has the fireplace, GFI, and the microwave. I'm sure running two AC's and the microwave on one 50amp side would be dicey, but that's easy to work around without much discomfort.

Can anyone speak to this?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierp View Post
Thanks fuquatj. That does seem to be my issue. I've added a washer and a dryer and my board is full.

I wonder if I can get a bigger converter? Alternatively, I have a 20 amp breaker dedicated to the vacuum, which rarely gets used. (We have a Dyson we use on 120v.) I wonder if we could put the 3rd AC on that breaker and just manually manage it with the vacuum?

That's on the other 50 amp 'master' side, which has the fireplace, GFI, and the microwave. I'm sure running two AC's and the microwave on one 50amp side would be dicey, but that's easy to work around without much discomfort.

If you are hooked up to 50 amp service you can run all three air conditioners at the same time. Two a/c's will be on one 50 amp buss and the other will be on the other 50 amp buss. Each will need to be on their own 20 amp breaker. I'm confused as to which breaker you are tripping. Is it the main 50 amp breaker in your unit or the individual 20 amp breakers? The vacuum breaker is a nice alternative for one of the a/c's. You just need to determine what is on each buss and what is on each breaker. Once you know what is on each breaker you can redistribute you individual circuits to balance the loads on each buss. Just requires moving wires and relabeling in your breaker panel. ((Just as an example you won't want two a/c's, the micro wave, converter, the water heater, and the refrigerator ( providing you running them on electric) all on the same buss.))
Old 06-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #26
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierp View Post

I talked to the factory about this. If your Montana is like mine, it came pre-wired for a 3rd AC. I have an outlet box in the ceiling with a blank cover on it. There is a "Power Share" switch behind the wall in the basement. This power share switch is wired to the bedroom AC and the 3rd (future) AC; supposedly providing power to only one at a time. Is it wired to only the compressor or the entire AC? I don't know, have not looked into it any more than asking the Keystone people what the power share switch was for. You might ask if your unit was pre-wired for a 3rd AC or if they had to add wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Share Switch -2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1849  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #27
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuquatj View Post
This time they finally figured out the problem. They took the two original units off the camper, and evidently there is a "box" (for lack of a better term) directly below the units to which the ducts are attached. The cool air flows from the unit, into the box, then thru the ducts. The ducts had not been sealed to the box at the factory, therefore most of the cold air was just blowing out into the ceiling. They sealed these with tape and problem solved. Just another example of extremely poor QC at Keystone.
When they removed the AC units, did they remove everything including the housing? Did they have to be re-sealed to the roof?

I am having a similar problem. My units (both of them) will shut down after a time. The problem occurs frequently with the fans set on auto or low; but has happened only once or twice with the fans set on high. To restore operation, I have to turn the units off then back on; sometimes do a factory reset. After that they work fine for awhile.

Talking to others, I suspect the cold air output is going back into the units via the return and a poorly sealed plenum box. This cold air causes the units to freeze up and shut down; I get a lot of water off the roof; humidity is not that high here.

I'm just wondering how hard it is to get to that plenum box and seal it up properly. I don't really want to mess with the roof seal. I saw another post that said the factory does a poor job of sealing up an adjustable divider between the output and return section of the plenum box.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #28
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I talked to the factory about this. If your Montana is like mine, it came pre-wired for a 3rd AC. I have an outlet box in the ceiling with a blank cover on it. There is a "Power Share" switch behind the wall in the basement. This power share switch is wired to the bedroom AC and the 3rd (future) AC; supposedly providing power to only one at a time. Is it wired to only the compressor or the entire AC? I don't know, have not looked into it any more than asking the Keystone people what the power share switch was for. You might ask if your unit was pre-wired for a 3rd AC or if they had to add wiring.
Yes, I was definitely pre-wired for the third AC. The dealer explained to me that the way it was wired would allow me to run any combination of two AC's, but not three. This, as you would suspect, was total nonsense. In fact what I can do is run my primary on the first bus and either the bedroom or 3rd AC on the second bus. Both of those units (2 and 3) are on the same 20 amp breaker.

I CAN run them both at the same time briefly, but after about 5 minutes some combination of compressor usage trips the breaker.

I'd like to know more about that power share thing. It clearly isn't one or the other as I can run both for a bit.

I'd very much like to run all three and I'm going to see about putting #3 on the Vacuum breaker. Is there anything particularly difficult about that? I'll admit that I haven't ever actually wired a converter or breaker, but I did learn how to use a multimeter last year, so I'm getting better.

Here's the converter as it sits today. The washer and dryer gobbled up some space. AC 2 and 3 are on the far right.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #29
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
If you have a power share switch, that is where the wiring from your bedroom and 3rd AC terminate. You would have to pull the wiring from both these units into the breaker panel to terminate them on the new breakers; the wiring may or may not be long enough.

I recommend you get a qualified electrician to do the job; any electrician can do this, you don't need to mess with an RV dealer. It shouldn't take more than an hour of so and should not be too expensive. The electrician will tell you up front if your system can handle 3 AC units at the same time.