Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
Bigfoot installation on a Montana

Hi!

We have a 2010 Montana 3665 and was wondering if anyone has installed or had installed the Bigfoot leveling system on their trailer?

Seems to me it would be ok, but haven't seen one installed up close yet. Any weight issues?

Any thoughts group?

Many thanks!

Joe Gavin
MCITP, MCTS

jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I looked real hard at the Bigfoot and they make a solid quality product but in the end went with the Level-up.

Lippert is not known to have the best quality trailer frames. With a Z frame I felt that distributing the weight over 6 points of contact instead of 4 would be less stressful on the frame. In addition with Level-up being a Lippert product if I ever did have any frame issues I felt they would be more likely to try to blame a product they did not sell or support to attempt to get out of warranty work.

Most here seem to have the Level-up installed over the Bigfoot but I know several have installed Bigfoot and none have reported any issues. I sure a few of them will chime up soon.

Either way I think you will be very happy with the auto leveling system. I know we will never have another trailer with out one.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Big Foot makes a nice, high quality system and I have had several friends install them on their SOB's and are very happy with them. The downside to them that I can see, as Rick pointed out, is they only have 4 "feet" and the Lippert system has 6 which to me would give you better stability (less movement). We ended up trading for a MH but one of these systems would have been in our future for sure.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We went with Lippert for the same reason Rick stated. Now that we have it, I can say I like the 6 point system, especially when using it in manual mode, such as when we are still connected to our truck. Also, while sitting for 6 months in the winter, I manually level so that I can take some stress off the tires.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I have the same year and model you have. I had BigFoot installed 2 years ago. It is my favorite upgrade. I have the old style controller, but upgraded to the new controller (with remote) when they came out.

If you order from Plug-it-right, (Installation is still done at factory) you will save 500-800 on install.

http://www.plugitright.com/BigFootLevelers.html

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I saw a post on another forum a couple of days ago from a guy who had the bigfoot on a Big Horn. He was looking for ideas on additional stabilizers he could install because he still had a lot of movement. I do not have that problem with the Lippert 6 Point Level Up system. Rock solid!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I went level up for all of Rick's reasons and now that we are parked on a pretty steep sideways grade for all winter I'm not only glad that I have six stabilizers but also that Lippert can't blame any damage on someone else.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

I saw a post on another forum a couple of days ago from a guy who had the bigfoot on a Big Horn. He was looking for ideas on additional stabilizers he could install because he still had a lot of movement. I do not have that problem with the Lippert 6 Point Level Up system. Rock solid!
We don't have any movement that Lippert doesn't have. I haven't put the rear stabilizers down since we installed BigFoot. The BigFoot has steel cylinders and are rated for heaver loads. Front are rated for 17,000 lbs each, and rear are rated for 12,000 lbs each. Lippert uses aluminium cylinder cases.

Both systems are a major improvement, so I don't think you can go wrong with either system. BigFoot has been doing it longer than Lippert, and has lifetime warranty on the cylinders.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We have had the Bigfoot for two years and love it. We had the Strongarm stabilizers on prior to the bigfoot and now have them taken off since we dont need them. The factory install is the best way to go, especially after our local dealer told me that there was no reason to weld them in.So far the BF has performed very well. Now that we've used auto levelers we would never do without them if we buy a nee rig. I watched part of the install and was impressed with how well they did it.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jgavin

Hi!
We have a 2010 Montana 3665 and was wondering if anyone has installed or had installed the Bigfoot leveling system on their trailer?
Seems to me it would be ok, but haven't seen one installed up close yet. Any weight issues?
Any thoughts group?
Many thanks!
Joe Gavin
MCITP, MCTS
We've had Bigfoot installed on our 2000 Montana since April 2009. Love it. Especially like the fact that each leg has its own pump and reservoir.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
I want to say thank you all for graciously giving me your input on my leveling system question, it gave me a very good idea on what I need to do!

One the same subject, did the installer(s) remove the std jacks from your RV? I was thinking more on the weight issue over all. I suspect that either the Bigfoot or Lippert system probably add 5-600# to the trailer weight. Just a thought.

We’ve never had our trailer weighed when traveling so that’s an unknown right now.

Again, many thanks!

Joe & Pen
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
On the level-up the front jacks are replaced with the level-up system. I still have the rear stabilizers. We have only used them once since installing level-up. Pulled into Laramie, WY with very strong winds (DOT was forcing RVs and empty trucks to pull off and park until winds died down). It helped a little but the gust were so strong the trailer still shacked until well after midnight.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
We definitely had Big Foot remove our front jacks for weight, as you said, and because they really aren't needed once you have the BF or other. Definitely keep your rear jacks. They will not only help with stability, because all leveling systems are just that. And while they do add some stability if you should decide on aftermarket stabilizers, they will give you the perfect place to attach the rears. Di
jgavin[/i]

I want to say thank you all for graciously giving me your input on my leveling system question, it gave me a very good idea on what I need to do!

One the same subject, did the installer(s) remove the std jacks from your RV? I was thinking more on the weight issue over all. I suspect that either the Bigfoot or Lippert system probably add 5-600# to the trailer weight. Just a thought.

We�ve never had our trailer weighed when traveling so that�s an unknown right now.

Again, many thanks!

Joe & Pen

[/quote]
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I really would love to have either one. But that cash outlay just bothers me for some reason. I have come to the conclusion that if I get to a point where it's to difficult to setup the unit and can't do it easily then is when I will cough up the bucks. But dang..........I sure want them LOL

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jgavin

We’ve never had our trailer weighed when traveling so that’s an unknown right now.

Again, many thanks!

Joe & Pen
On our rig, the front legs were removed but the rear stabilizers were left intact. We use them once we're all set up just to help in high winds. When the BigFoot was being installed there was no concern with any weight issues.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
BigFoot weighs in at 340 lbs. I had old front jacks removed, so you can subtract that whatever it was. Left rear stabilizers, but haven't ever used them since we installed BigFoot.

Here is where we camped last weekend, the site dropped off, so you couldn't have used the site with standard stabilizers. Rear of the Montana is 4 feet up in the air. Site was also not level left to right, just un-hook and press the auto-level, you done, no blocking required.