Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Truck Bed Hydraulic Crane

One of the banes that I have had deals with the hitch removal process when I need the bed of the truck for the occassional trip to Lowes or Home Depot. The Reese hitch weighs about 100 pounds and is a backbreaker (at least for me) removing and re-installing it. I think I have come up with a reasonable solution. Here is what I am considering:

With my 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight, it would be around $70. That is worth saving my back and I think I can convince DW of it's value. Anyone ever used one??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have seen guys use them, man you can't beat that price.
Can you get the truck in the garage? I put in a electric hoist that works well, I move things around in the garage on dollies, then lift with the hoist. I think it's around the same money.
http://tinyurl.com/4rynul6
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I built a barn for the Monty and truck and put a winch in the barn. I admit it cost a bit more than $70.00. That looks like a good solution. Will the hoist lower it to the ground?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't think the garage is a viable option, Ozz, although I do like that setup. My vehicles (dually and work truck) stay outdoors so DW and the oldest DD can keep their vehicles in the warm garage!! Gotta protect the wimmen and keep them warm.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I can think of several different ways to mount that hoist besides the truck bed and still have it work to remove my hitch. Great idea.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I do not believe it lowers Jim, but all I would have to do is move the hitch from the dually into my work truck bed for the short time that I need to use the dually bed. Worst case, I can set the hitch on the sidewalk at the house which is at bed level next to the driveway, or use a come-a-long to lower it to driveway level. Work truck only has a 6 foot bed or I could use it. Gotta get some sheetrock for a DW project at the house, so all I have to do is convince her that if she wants her pantry, I need the crane!!!
Bingo

Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Does your hitch not separate into two pieces? Mine does and recently my BIL found out his does too.

I was showing him some maintenance tricks, tightening bolts and what-not and he is a much bigger and stronger guy than I am and when were making comparisons he was asking me how I was able to remove and reinstall my hitch with not so many complaints. It was a struggle for him but being as big as he was he did get it done and wonder how my scrawny self could do it. When I showed him how the hitch head separated from the hitch base, he was astounded to find his did the same thing, he just didn't know it. Boy, is he happy now.

I store mine in a corner of my garage on a homemade dolly that also keeps the hardware close by:

I wheel it from the garage to the rear of the truck bed and lift it into the bed in two pieces. The distance from the corner of the garage is more than 100' from where I park the truck so the dolly works great. The hold-down hardware and the clevis pins are in the plastic bin that is permanently affixed to the dolly.

Because I don't full-time I store my hitch most of the time.

Then after the hitch is removed, the rails are in the way of a complete flat bed, but I made a platform of 2x4s and 3/4" plywood sections that sits over and is notched on top of the bed rails. Since the bed rails are a pain, they stay in place and the four pieces of platform create the completely flat bed I need for drywall, cargo etc. The platform does raise the truck bed about 3" but at least it's a flat bed.

On the otherhand, why turn away an opportunity for another cool tool in your arsenal.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I like the crane idea but I just leave the hitch hooked to the kingpin and raise the trailer. As for Lowes they always load my truck w/a fork lift.Is the sidewall of the bed strong enough to anchor the crane? Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Jack,
It doesn't mount to the sidewall but rather through the bed and the installation manual specifies that it has to be anchored to the truck frame.
Art,
I am glad DW does not read the MOC forum, "Well dear, Art does it this way without a crane, therefore I can reason that you do not need the crane!!"
I got to thinking about Jim's question regarding whether the crane lowers and I believe that extending the boom to it's full length, raising the boom enough to provide the necessary clearance for removal and then picking up the hitch would enable the boom to lower enough to set the hitch on the ground. Will have to try to be sure though.
The good news is, that DW agreed to the need, so I don't have to find out if the hitch separates into two pieces. I don't think the standard Reese hitch does, but I may be wrong???
Bingo

Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Bingo, if you're parked on hard surface, you might consider an engine lift. Might be a little more, but won't clutter the truck bed.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Will, the top crane portion is removable, only the mounting post has to stay in the truck. Also the boom can lay directly over the wheel well as well to keep it out of the way. Actually, truth be told, I was looking at an engine lift originally, then noticed the crane and the price of the crane is a deciding factor. For the limited use I would have for it, I think it is justified. For those who want to see more details, here is a link to the manual:

Truck Crane Manual

Bingo

On Edit: I also noticed that Harbor Freight has a similar model equipped with a winch mechanism. Of course it is about twice the price.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #12
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Rather than remove the hitch I unpin mine, slide it forward and replace rear tabs into the front rail, then pin and lock into place. This gives me a lot more cargo space, eliminates the need to remove hitch, and can be ready to go in a few minutes notice. This works for me and didn't have to convince DW to let me buy another needed tool :-)
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Grampachet,
That is definitely a cheaper solution, but I still have to remove the hitch to carry the sheetrock (4'x8') and lumber.
In addition, I never really thought about until now, but the crane will allow for loading and unloading of our Kipor 3000 generator as well, that one is around 150 pounds, and again is a backbreaker even when rolling it into the bed with ramps. As I get older in age (more years added to age 29 and holding!!), the less physical strain, the better, particularly with a bad back to start with!!
Bingo

Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I use this same crane on the bed of my Volvo to get my motorcycle on and off. That's less than 300 lb, so I can extend the boom quite a bit. I used a piece of drive line to extend the height of the crane, replaced the hydraulic cylinder with a piece of pipe, and mounted an electric winch from HF ($40) in place of the hand winch. Works like a charm.
If you extended the height, you could mount the crane off the truck. I've also used the engine crane, like Will suggested, to offload a generator (on soft ground, no less) by backing the truck up to it, raising the generator, and driving out from under it.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #15
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Bingo, I never saw a hitch like the one in your photo. OK, there had to be one smart comment. Let us know how it works out. My son is thinking about moving out, finally, so if I need to remove the hitch it would help to have another option.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dick,
Smart remarks and sarcasm gleefully accepted!!!!
Bingo

Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bingo, please do remind your wife that in my case, I only addressed removing the hitch and that was about it. That tool you have addresses other issues and gives you more capabilities that I'll ever use.

Then also remind her you are smarter, stronger and can build things much better than I ever could and that's why I can only remove a hitch. These aren't necessarily smart remarks or sarcastic but feel free to enhance it any way you need to get you some new tools.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I've got the Reese 16K slider. Even by separating the two parts, that sucker is still too heavy for me to handle.

Bingo, even tho you can remove the jib, looks to me like the base is gonna be in the truck bed without a bunch of work. I believe with a welding machine and cutting torch, and a few pieces of scrap metal, I could fab up a socket to bolt to the frame. All you would have then would be a hole in the bed where you plugged the jib into the socket. One of those rubber plugs would cover that.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you have to do, take care of your back. Mine is worn out. I've been nursing a sore back for the last month now. I could see other uses for the crane too; sometimes the ice chest is awful heavy for me to load.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Will,
You are correct on the base, but I am hoping that it will be low enough that when I put 2x4 crosspieces in the truck bed slots?? (is there an actual name for those??) to elevate the drywall above the bed itself, that everything would be above the top of the base (fingers are definitely crossed on that one). At the least, with a mount like is shown in the picture I think the base would be off to the side where a 4' wide piece would not be affected by the crane base since the truck bed is actually about 5 ft. wide.
Bingo

Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Will,
You are correct on the base, but I am hoping that it will be low enough that when I put 2x4 crosspieces in the truck bed slots?? (is there an actual name for those??) to elevate the drywall above the bed itself, that everything would be above the top of the base (fingers are definitely crossed on that one). At the least, with a mount like is shown in the picture I think the base would be off to the side where a 4' wide piece would not be affected by the crane base since the truck bed is actually about 5 ft. wide.
Bingo
Drywall? Oh, the new pantry DW wants huh? I think you are right; the main part of the bed will be clear.

While on the subject of drywall. I saw some fellows in a Chevy Monte Carlo load so much drywall in the trunk the front wheels were almost off the ground. They stuck a couple 2 X 4's on edge in the trunk, then the 8' sheets of sheetrock. American ingenuity at it's best!