Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Aging Tires

I know that tires have been discussed at great length. However, here is a recent interesting and informative video clip from ABC News about aging tires - especially shelf life. While their focus is the passenger car tire, it applies to us as well. I found the supplemental information interesting also.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/deadly-aged...2070157&page=1

Best Lynne

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Thanks for posting...there is some supporting information presented in a "Letter to the Editor" in the current edition of "Trailer Life" mag. It appears that shelf life of tires is an evil we will continue to have to deal with.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I do check the date codes these days for all tires I buy. Fortunately, my most recent purchases the tires were no more than 2 and 3 months old. But how old should they be before allowing yourself to purchase? 6 months? a year? I don't think I'd go longer than 6 months.

It's great this story was redone. I saw the same clips and story when it was done two years ago. This is an update and I'm not surprised nothing has been done. We'll have to wait for some congressman to have a problem before they consider it important. Then since trailers break down and there isn't anyone to get hurt, no new legislation needed, right?

Tire failures create jobs; replacing tires, repairing damage, lots of work for tow and service centers. As usual, we hate too many laws, but the dollar clouds our minds, so nothing happens until the right persons lose their lives, THEN new laws occur that just make everyone angry that have to change the way they do things because they didn't have the safety sense to admit and do what's right.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
.... and then there are tires that are poorly made with known issues fresh and ready to roll ... hello Marabombs!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote