Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
TrailerSaver hitch procedure

I just purchased a BD3 TrailerSaver air hitch for my soon to arrive Montana 3455. I was on a few forums recently (including a search of the subject on this one) that had lively discussions about the correct procedure for unhitching from a TrailerSaver hitch.

The debate seemed to be if you needed to let the air out of the bags when unhitching. The responses seemed to be split, some yes, some no.
I called TrailerSaver and asked Aaron. Here’s what he said:

You do not need to let the air out of the bags before unhooking. What you do is raise the front of the 5er until the hitch air bags are un-weighted and have decompressed (about 2") and you can see a slight separation between the hitch and pin plate, then you are good to unhitch and level the 5er. Seems pretty simple and painless and I'm looking forward to receiving my hitch.

Apparently, as some users already know, if you do not raise the 5er so the bags are un-weighted, when you drive off, the bags will spring to an un-weighted position against the stop pin and I'm sure this makes a loud noise. It might even hit the pin box. This is what the folks who are letting the air out are trying to avoid.

The procedure described by TrailerSaver above sounds like a much easier way to go rather than constantly airing up and down.

I just thought I'd share what I was told for those who have TrailerSaver hitches and still had this question.

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As a proud owner of the TrailerSaver Hitch for over seven years, that's the way I've been doing it and have told others to do it that way. You're right that if you don't raise it high enough, the hitch will bang up against the king pin. I am able to raise mine until I see a little gap between the 5th wheel and the hitch. Then just drive out from under. Don't forget to disconnect the umbilical cord. How do I know? Don't ask.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
ols,

Don't tell me that you (too) have had to replace an umbilical...must be something going around (like a cold at school). For most of the forum members, I think it's called CRS. But, for me it is CROSS (Can't Remember Or See S).
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I also own a TrailerSaver hitch, but I deair to 0 psi (I have the underdash controller), then raise trailer slightly (usually), until I see free space between hitch and pin, then drive out, AFTER disconnecting umbilical. I think it is easier if you have the underdash controller. I do this because 1) I don't want the hitch extending upward to the stop with 55psi in it, and 2) I feel the MORE you raise and lower the trailer the greater the chances of something going wrong. If I had not purchased the underdash controller and compressor I would do it the other way to keep from airing and deairing manually each time.....I would rather replace the air bags some day, than the front landing gear motor on trailer. Obviously there are different ways of doing anything, you just have to pick the one that suits you....BTW, I think you bought the best hitch on the market, this, of course, is just my opinion......And now I see Hensley makes a slider mount for the short bed trucks. Way to go Hensley........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

ols,

Don't tell me that you (too) have had to replace an umbilical...must be something going around (like a cold at school). For most of the forum members, I think it's called CRS. But, for me it is CROSS (Can't Remember Or See S).
No, I haven't had to replace it. It just bent my inside the body connector a little. Stupid thing to do when I know better!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I do not have a TrailerSaver but I do have a air ride hitch. TS did give you the proper procedure for disconnecting. My hitch has a auto leveling value so I do not have the ability to add/remove air from the hitch air bags. So I typically follow the directions given. But I will from time to time dump the air suspension so that I do not have to raise the trailer and then lower it again in order to level the trail once disconnected.

As for the umbilical cord ..... no comment ....
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote